ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Monaco Blue - What would you use?

1.8 Civic EX
Links to products please as I get a bit lost with all this detailing stuff..

currenlty

wash - Megs NXT Generation
Polish - AG SRP
Seal - AG EGP
WAX - PoorBoys Nattys Blue

I'm not sure if it's the wax or the shampoo but when I next wash the car (just a wash no applying of any other products) after applying the above it seems to almost "smudge" the look if that makes sense...

It's A Reno
I would personally blame to shampoo. I tried that stuff and really didn't get on with it.
It left the surface looking greasy and smudged.
It got filed in the end. I'm now using megs gold and I find it much nicer to use.

Last edited:
  Bumder With A Buffer
Hmmm good point on the shampoo..I use CG maxi suds and noticed ONCE that I had that problem...but I hadnt taken the wax off properly.

Next time I waxed I made sure it was taken off and havent had the problem since.

It's A Reno
I'd blame the shampoo but it could equally be a wax thing.
Everyone washes and waxes their car slightly differently using different quality of water etc so there is an element of "suck it and see" to it all.

1.8 Civic EX
I'm going with the shampoo idea in that case. If I buff any more when taking off the wax my arm will fall off tbh lol

I've tried the Gold Glass stuff in the past and didn't really rate it though. Any others to look out for that arn't quite as harsh as the NXT?

328, MK1 Clio 1.4
Do yuo do all those things at each time?

If so there is no need in using a sealant and a wax . . .

1.8 Civic EX
Only when giving it a good clean which is probably about once every 2-3months.

If I get the time inbetween I will sometimes give it another layer of either the wax or the EGP but that happens quite rarely tbh.

Porsche Boxster987S
LOL @ this.

Even if it is a s**t shampoo (which i dont believe is THAT bad) , it wont be bad enough to make your paint look smudged after rewashing lol. My guess is youve applied one of the following list^^ (apart from the shampoo:clown:) and allowed it 'bake' on or not fully buffed off.

It's A Reno
LOL @ this.

Even if it is a s**t shampoo (which i dont believe is THAT bad) , it wont be bad enough to make your paint look smudged after rewashing lol. My guess is youve applied one of the following list^^ (apart from the shampoo:clown:) and allowed it 'bake' on or not fully buffed off.

The problem I had with that NXT shampoo is it leaves a sort of waxy layer on the paint and that is the problem and makes it look greasy.
IMO you want a shampoo that cleans the car, so you can then wax it, not leaves some sh*t on it.

1.8 Civic EX
LOL @ this.

always done a pannel at a time so doubt it's was baked on tbh, and as before I highly doubt it's due to not buffing off properly, again because I do a panel at a time and don't move on to the next untill it's finished properly.

maybe it's a combination of the wash and wax not working very well together...

The problem I had with that NXT shampoo is it leaves a sort of waxy layer on the paint and that is the problem and makes it look greasy.
IMO you want a shampoo that cleans the car, so you can then wax it, not leaves some sh*t on it.

sounds more like it tbh...I'll try another wash first. What about the AG car wash stuff, that any good?

Bumder With A Buffer
LOL @ this.

What I said then???

Porsche Boxster987S
well i used to use that shampoo on the old clio before i really got into ''detailing'' and like yourself i followed up with the old srp/egp/wax combo and never had ANY problems. I agree it did leave the paint feeling a bit greasy , but a proper rinse and dry left like new. I applied the polish , sealant and wax as thin as possible and never came across your problem.

I now use duragloss 901 and i can safely say its thee best shampoo ive used - and ive tried most.

It's A Reno
always done a pannel at a time so doubt it's was baked on tbh, and as before I highly doubt it's due to not buffing off properly, again because I do a panel at a time and don't move on to the next untill it's finished properly.

maybe it's a combination of the wash and wax not working very well together...

sounds more like it tbh...I'll try another wash first. What about the AG car wash stuff, that any good?

I never had any problems with AG shampoo, but it doesn't foam and just seems odd somehow.

1.8 Civic EX
what are peoples thoughts on Dodo Juice products?

Just looking around on CYC.co.uk and thinking the following...

Born to be slippy shampoo
Time to dry
Red Mist
Purple Haze Wax

Would it make sense to use all those products one after the other in that order?

Bumder With A Buffer
Red mist...dont really like that myself...not sure why???

I have DJ Blue Velvet and it brings the Monaco up lovely

328, MK1 Clio 1.4
You don't need to use hundreds of different products to get a good finish, just wash it, clay or whatever you do then use ONE wax or sealant, not loads of different ones, if you want good protection on it just give it a few coats of THE SAME product.

this could be why it is 'smudging' coz the products may not agree with each other etc.

1.8 Civic EX
You don't need to use hundreds of different products to get a good finish, just wash it, clay or whatever you do then use ONE wax or sealant, not loads of different ones, if you want good protection on it just give it a few coats of THE SAME product.

this could be why it is 'smudging' coz the products may not agree with each other etc.

understand what you're saying but nit sure why you're saying it lol. I've never mixed products. I've always used the stuff from my original list and topped it up as you say.

Was just asking about the dodo stuff and thinking of changing as all the stuff I have is running low.

328, MK1 Clio 1.4
understand what you're saying but nit sure why you're saying it lol. I've never mixed products. I've always used the stuff from my original list and topped it up as you say.

Was just asking about the dodo stuff and thinking of changing as all the stuff I have is running low.

Your using a sealant and a wax, which both do exactly the same thing AG EGP and whatever WAX you are using,

Don't mix them.

1.8 Civic EX
Your using a sealant and a wax, which both do exactly the same thing AG EGP and whatever WAX you are using,

Don't mix them.

So the cleaning guide written by a member on here who is well known for for basically being bit of a cleaning god is wrong then? ;)

Sealents
These often come in a liquid form and are often applied to the car as a whole and left to ‘cure’ before being buffed off. For a great look ‘top’ your paint sealant with a pure carnauba wax for added shine and protection.

328, MK1 Clio 1.4
Have you ever been on detailing world? It is quite 'geeky' but they know what they are on about. Some of the guides are quite good on there, and I have been told loads of times, that there isn't really much point in mixing if you have a good sealant or wax, just put 2-3 coats on.

I have found that when I mix things I sometimes get this happening, a bit of a smudge from the residue that can be buffed off, but looks a bit crappy.

1.8 Civic EX
lol, no not been on detailing world as I know as soon as I go on there I'll be taking all this car cleaning stuff far to seriously...

basically to sum up the thread the smudging is either:

me not buffering properly
wash having an effect on the wax
wax not bonding with the sealent

So I'm going to just live with it untill my stuff has run out then get the Dodo stuff and give that a go...atleast everything is then made by the same manufacturer so shouldn't have to much of an issue..

Porsche Boxster987S

Don't mix them.

what a load of nonsense! The general process is wash , polish , seal and wax if doing by hand. Why not mix them??:S A wax is the final stage but it doesnt matter if you buy a halfords wax or a swissvax if its not being done properly in the first 3-4 stages. The ''finish'' will come from the polishing if done correctly. All the wax does is add a slightly wet look (depends what you buy) and its main purpose is to cover your hard work. If youve actually ever been on DW you should already know this though?

328, MK1 Clio 1.4
Guys, when I first started I used AG SRP then some meguiars sealant (can't remember which one) and then Natty's wax, and I found it started smudging as described by OP, and also left almost a greasy look in certain areas, Since then I have only used Natty's wax or a sealant and not combined and the problem went away,

Just what I have found, maybe my car had magic paint :rasp:

1.8 Civic EX
for anyone that's interested the issue may well have been the NXT wash breaking down the wax...

Washed the car last night using some Megs Gold Class (had a sachet of it, must have picked it up at somepoint as a free sample from somewhere), washed and dried and the result......no smudging at all.....

Doing it by hand you are not going to achieve that level of correction fella. But there are some decent polishes that can get a good result. RussZS on here is your best bet for hand stuff as he knows more than I do!

Think it was finished with Chem Guys Blitz spray and P21s as a wax, can't remember though!

1.8 Civic EX
cheers for that, I know I'm never gonna get any sort of major corrcection by hand (something sounds a bit wrong about that?!?!1 lol)

Not got a car
I got told a few years back at FCS off the guys on the Meguiars stand that Meguiars NXT Generation Shampoo helps to strip wax, It does not have any form of was blended in.

So never used the stuff, All their NXT Generation is poop, The only Meguiars stuff i like is Gold Class and their detailer.

I was in denial about how it could be any better than my beloved BriteMax shampoo, but it just is... and it smells of cherries :D

I got told a few years back at FCS off the guys on the Meguiars stand that Meguiars NXT Generation Shampoo helps to strip wax, It does not have any form of was blended in.

So never used the stuff, All their NXT Generation is poop, The only Meguiars stuff i like is Gold Class and their detailer.

A car shampoo that strips wax deliberately. What ever next???

Some products do as they are alkali or acidic, but most shampoos are designed to be wax safe. If they weren't you would have to rewax your car every time you washed it. Now I have OCD, but even I couldn't be arsed to do that!!