ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mondial Blue 172 Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.
  Megane275R / 172 mk2
Hello everyone,

I recently purchased a lovely 172 Cup from Chris on here (original build thread below):

https://www.cliosport.net/threads/i-bought-a-172-cup.813726/page-5#post-11639488

I've owned loads of French cars in the past, and started off in a Saxo over 10 years ago. My builds have ranged from mild modifications to full race engine equipped 106 Rallyes so have plenty of experience when it comes to working on them (some of you may have seen this online, circa 200Bhp Bodies etc.) Since then things have changed, and I now have a Megane Trophy R as my main toy. I'd fallen in love with the Mk 3 Megane after owning a Clio 200 then a Megane Trophy, simply great cars (that accolade also includes the Clio 200).

Having driven a 172 Cup many years ago and instantly enjoying it, i've been after a nice one for some time. Sadly most of them that are available for sale nowadays are absolutely buggered and / or unsympathetically 'modified' by their owners, so naturally I jumped at the chance to snap up the one Chris had as soon as it became available. I had been looking at 182 Trophy's but the cost increase to what is essentially the same car seemed nonsensical, and generally I think their value is heavily inflated at present (£8K plus for a 15 year old Clio) *head scratch*

So, I called Chris and arranged to come and collect the car. It was a bit of a savage journey but eventually arrived following a 4 hour train journey from Somerset, across London, then back out to Stansted! By the time I got there it was dark so couldn't really see a lot, but I had spoken to Chris and read his build thread and it looked good to me overall.

I drove it back mostly without drama, other than a few curious noises (always stressful buying a new car as you never know quite what you're in for, or whether it is actually a 'good one'!) After a few miles I noticed some noise from the rear end which I attributed to the exhaust resonating on the heat shield (I've had all these exact same issues with numerous French hatches over the years so know the noises and what the cause of them generally is). There was also a slight knock which I couldn't tell if it was the spare wheel in the boot or something else. Anyway, I drove it to work yesterday and had a nose under it at lunch as the curious noise was really irritating me. I haven't had the time to 'get into it' properly yet, so a brief inspection was all that could be done.

Upon inspection I discovered the knocking sound was a result of the rear damper bolt having worked itself fully loose (it was almost hanging out, which could have been devastating if it had fallen out on the M4 at the speed of circa 70Mph which I was travelling at shortly before!!!) Not great.

Anyway this was a simple fix and I nipped it up by hand then used a spanner from one of our Engineers to tighten up properly. I was pretty unhappy at this point because I have to wear smart attire to work so this was the last thing I wanted to be doing. A simple mistake on Chris's part I suppose, and upon discussing he assured me that all bolts had been properly torqued. It goes to show that you should always double check your work especially on key areas such as the suspension. That aside, I got it home last night and set about getting stuck into the other jobs.

Mostly it's a good clean car, fresh bodywork, good wheels and suspension, it drives very well and has plenty of pull through the gears. It's a lot of fun to drive and the steering is tight. I also love how it looks, the lines are simple and it's a classic little machine. For a 15 year old car it's in very good shape and has been restored nicely to the OEM finish. My plans are retain this ethos as they are becoming increasingly rare, and are likely to only increase further in value due to their somewhat iconic status.

In it's current guise it is not quite up to my standard in terms of finish so there will be further cleaning and correcting of questionable workmanship (i.e. the exhaust, as if this was tested after fitment it would have been apparent that further adjustment was needed to prevent resonance - not the fault of Chris as I understand this was done by others). However, I have also found several other bolts missing where 'work' has been done so I was getting perplexed and annoyed finding these things (i.e. missing bolts on inlet manifold where it was possibly removed to be painted, however in the build thread the bolts are all there so I'm confused to how these were not in place). That aside, I will get all these bits sorted and the base car I have to work with is a good one.

I started last night with some preliminary cleaning of steering wheel, dash, floor mats and underneath them, rear parcel shelf, boot space, inside all rubber seals etc. There was a lot of dust and dirt and general grubbiness to be addressed, but I suppose most peoples idea of 'clean' is not quite the same as my OCD level so this is to be expected ?

Overall I'm happy with the car and I am confident further improvements can be made.

The other issue I currently have is the alarm keeps going off which is driving me mad so I need to sort this out ASAP. Chris did mention this to me that it had gone off a few times on him so I suspect the bonnet switch will need replacing (any tips as to where this can be sourced would be appreciated).

First jobs were as mentioned above, plus securing the spare Turini in place with a spare Renault Sport ratchet strap from my Trophy R, pics to follow.

Last edited:
  Megane275R / 172 mk2
Thread updated to include full size pics and narrative:

Parked up at work, with sunscreen protector in place to protect dash / steering wheel / interior from this hot weather:

2A4962EC-B765-497D-ACEB-92111DB6809F_zpsn7tkgvua.jpg

Loose rear damper bolt:

BF20C383-316A-4AA0-8186-7FD510666F34_zpsvtzit5y7.jpg

Back home starting work:

0FB85196-999F-42C2-A48D-A88B52364CF5_zpsoafiomjx.jpg

Start on Parcel Shelf, a bit hairy and in need of a good clean:

334038D5-7000-428E-918C-4D2F79D194BA_zps6qneagpj.jpg

All done, it's important not to rub the fabric pile too vigorously as it's quite delicate and prone to damage:

0D9E94FB-F0C0-4E09-B577-FB207B568393_zpswpflmymy.jpg

Hoovering out spare wheel well:

BA18015A-AC3A-4E2A-987C-1AF0FB6C3094_zpsmtxmfagh.jpg

5E446CF0-FEE6-4581-A881-D87B82E709C6_zpsaq4ih9fu.jpg

Rear wiper wiring grommet had been bodged into place so this was corrected. It was also cleaned but no pic of that:
C0A85957-246D-4328-B166-739F90E17613_zps1x2hoctq.jpg

Correctly inserted, it's a little pulled on one area but it seals fine:

B2B53E8D-9CF2-4BF9-BB2D-56056FDE89B3_zpshmjhddyi.jpg

Cleaning Steering Wheel:

3E58D560-E495-43BA-9221-356B29D3B0CC_zpsovlqihdz.jpg

Megane275R / 172 mk2
Some more,

Cleaning out middle of rear boot seal:

1D7B4D0E-1994-46ED-9B5A-E0461E9818D5_zpsnut2ju7l.jpg

Cleaning out dust / debris from door handles inserts:

950954CC-48B8-4129-9BA6-F7B000F27F7B_zpspmqt84tx.jpg

Some heathen has worn a hole in the floor carpet by not having mats in place previously, but this has been cleaned and will receive further treatment in due course. Also considering Renaultsport mats as they are in fact the correct type for the car.

What I began with:

FBFB58EA-F912-4C8D-9E1F-435B30D709F9_zpsyc9264cl.jpg

Part way through:

4C11A848-BEF8-42F2-8905-C9420E205A5B_zps0twblg8j.jpg

Complete:

76455D37-6E82-4213-9DA8-65E0C9DD9805_zpsmbpcpumq.jpg

Got my spare Turini strapped in with an RS ratchet strap from my Trophy R, to avoid it moving around during transit and scuffing up the interior carpet. It doesn't quite fit in the wheel well and I don't fancy the repair kits as they don't work and ruin the tyre and make a right mess of the alloy wheel:

E55C794D-BB9A-4E58-B629-1DFD4971E031_zpshly9ycea.jpg

Cleaning of top part of rear bench. It looks clean to the untrained eye but a pass with some Megs QD (gentle dilution for interior work) and MF reveal otherwise:

F7E857B7-74E0-4380-8C92-C0A424118FA1_zpsk7rqkhde.jpg

E2E07EEA-F41E-420E-A720-66C591DF5EC7_zps2ksvd1c3.jpg

Intake manifold bolts inspection, I need OEM replacements, and will probably lose the micky mouse paint finish as I prefer a factory OEM finish so may vapour blast this. We shall see:

DF5BED76-F09F-4F17-B8E4-B30F8A1C3DCC_zpsmy4azpcm.jpg

As you can see above one loose bolt and one missing....

327BACB1-F05C-43AB-A93E-C88A205524DF_zpsq4tcitis.jpg

More to come!

Thanks,

Lewis.

MrBlonde

ClioSport Club Member
Great write up mate,close with the damper bolt not coming out!,Look forward to reading more on your thread as im a Cup owner to.
Have you any plans or just to keep pretty much standard & replace bits and keep tidy?

Megane275R / 172 mk2
Looks a great car and a credit too Chris imo.

Yes it's a nice machine, although some good work some not so good in my opinion, oh well.

Great write up mate,close with the damper bolt not coming out!,Look forward to reading more on your thread as im a Cup owner to.
Have you any plans or just to keep pretty much standard & replace bits and keep tidy?

It was very close, only saved by my good fortune and the fact I checked it at lunchtime. If I'd have driven home like that who knows what could have happened.

OEM I suspect, although I do fancy some Speedline 2118's but need to spend the time and money addressing the issues first. Otherwise it's a fun car I like it a lot.

Have you had any issues with your alarm?

MrBlonde

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah 2118's are a great wheel,i would like to get a set at some point in the future.

yes mate with the alarm,i have to do the ignition key thing each time i park at work to turn the sensors off,i might just get a new bonnet sensor soon.I did fit one about 4 years ago tho,so guess dont last long.

Clio 182
Wouldn't be surprised if the threads are stripped and that's why the bolts been left out on the inlet. I had to helicoil 3 of them when I changed my spark plugs recently

Megane275R / 172 mk2
Wouldn't be surprised if the threads are stripped and that's why the bolts been left out on the inlet. I had to helicoil 3 of them when I changed my spark plugs recently

Don't think they're stripped as I've put some temp ones ni and they bit nicely, just another forgotten item I think...

I've ordered some replacem,ents

Megane275R / 172 mk2
Furthermore, if you look at Chris's build thread the bolts are all in place and present in the both photos, so they've been removed after these photos were taken.

Perhaps i'll ask him if they were removed by the mechanic who checked the timing, why this would be the case I do not know, however, it could be possible, and the guy who checked the timing is supposed to be 'the knowledge' on RS Clio's, so this level of sloppy absent minded workmanship would not be something I'd attribute to an 'expert', something doesn't stack up....

Clio 182
That's a good thing a suppose! As I say you need to separate the inlet to access the spark plugs so if they were testing compression or something that would make sense as to why it was off. Seems a daft design really but the other FWD cars ive owned had the exhaust coming out the front.

@Lewigi_69

Hi Mate,

Fully understand there are a couple of little things that need sorting here and there; however I do feel its a little unfair and rude to use comments such as 'mickey mouse', 'bodged' & 'sloppy absent minded workmanship' to name but a few of your comments.

The car was not advertised as concours but its a very good car. Although not a mechanic I have done what I can with the car and spent just over £950 to get it to its current state.

While I appreciate you will say what you wish to say I just ask that you are a little more respectful to myself and the others that worked on this car.

Going forward I hope you enjoy the car and continue to build upon what I believe is a fantastic base.

Chris

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Get on to Ebay and order some M6x20 stainless or yellow zinc bolts for the inlet, buy a 50 quantity bag as they are used extensively and is a great way to tidy up the bay. Have you got some pics of your Trophy R you mention. Looks a lovely car.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
From reading Chris' thread you can see the Car is mint and has been looked after! If the only issues that you've found are that of a loose rear shock bolt, missing inlet bolts and pushed in boot grommet that's pretty good going for a 16 year old car!

Its clear the car has had a lot of correction on the outside and I love the attention to detail you're going to on the inside. Ill have to clean all my door trim rubbers as they're filthy. Seem to get dirty so quick though!

RE the rear bolt, that's not good but these bolts often need a tap running through into the beam as they can stiffen up very quickly. All the crap and rust sits in the beam and stops the bolt going in properly so I don't doubt it was torqued up, it just wasn't screwing in properly! I'd remove it and run a tap down it personally.

Will have just been the vibrations working it out.

I Also have to agree, some of the word choices are a little harsh considering you know the previous owner is on here and continues to post. Fair enough point out issues, it is French afterall, but there's ways to do it IMHO

Megane275R / 172 mk2
I think I have been fair in my assessment, not rude or personal, just making observations as I see fit. The car was marketed as 'MINT', with a build thread to add weight to this depiction.

Forgetting to fit a number plate lamp is a 'small thing', omitting to install and correctly tighten a bolt on a key component i.e. rear damper is sloppy AF. I've been working on these cars for years and there's no way it would just vibrate loose if it was torqued correctly. The thread is fine I've tightened it up a few days ago and it's still fine.

If you are not confident to work on a car and do not have the level of skill required to do so proficiently, then it should be left to a professional IMO, especially if you intend to sell the car on to someone else who is effectively reliant on the work carried out. It's fine to do small bits, but if you are 'winging it' then you should test your own work before moving it on. I think that is perfectly fair and reasonable. I doubt anyone else would be liking these posts if they were in my position. I was told the car had not been driven so there is no way it was checked to ensure it was good to go before I purchased it. A vehicle should be fit for purpose.

Salient point being, that if that bolt had come out on the Motorway at 80MPH then I could've been killed, or worse, killed another motorist, I don't think you can appreciate the gravity of the situation.

I've been under the car last night, and a running theme seems to be 'finger tight' bolts. The seat bolts are also loose (on the inside near the exhaust), again another key area of safety. I am going to have to double check everything that has been reworked. I am not saying it is all Chris either as he has paid others to do bits and pieces, but it should have been checked.

Anyway, that is all I will say on the subject and the thread will continue with the progress and work I am doing, my comments are more to help others and ensure they check their work to avoid any possible mishaps.

More progress last night, new wipers and new number plate lamp. Also set about adjusting the exhaust as it is touching the bracket which is causing the annoying resonance, but it will have to be redone when I have more time as it is not a Renault OEM part, therefore the hanger needs to be 'persuaded' to allow some more clearance. God I hate exhausts! :) I might even explore the possibility of installing a BTB but they're circa £1K.

I also removed the bonnet switch last night in the hope that would cure the alarm issue, no joy, it stayed off for longer than usual but woke me at 4AM this morning. Fun. It now seems to activate on an annoyingly predictable basis, so I just have to leave it unlocked at the moment., and who said owning French Cars isn't fun!

A couple of pics of the car externally:

DC743746-139F-4EC9-AC87-821545ED03B8_zpssiqxas6i.jpg

EF554883-F0C2-4325-B1FC-384228072EAC_zpsqjidgs0s.jpg

856B5BE3-948E-45F6-A3FE-5A10D8B47EF9_zpsgcbgul4m.jpg

Big brother:

B943B9FD-B706-42A6-B233-953B3635864B_zpsuxvdxudh.jpg

New parts, and some accessories for cleaning it:

3DC262B2-F2EB-4927-877B-E592394A08AF_zpsd1vmovvb.jpg

Wiper installation, old broken one (excuse upside down photo):

A25B3AAB-2B3C-40DD-BD17-B70C98CF453B_zpsokj73syc.jpg

No pic of new one fitted yet!

Old rear wiper:

A648734A-A440-4DA7-B7DF-F3D9FA088AD6_zpsikchrxk3.jpg

New one fitted:

576234BC-BBA2-4B45-A66D-235B632E5809_zps8szxk5kn.jpg

Numblerplate lamp:

992CC148-F8DC-4521-9D2B-B9A9CB70FF00_zpsqfqnakeb.jpg

CHECKED and working:

7E805BB3-A029-48E0-AA6A-003D91B7528B_zpsswq5a69b.jpg

566FA86F-6149-4BBF-A6B6-B54A6CD4039E_zpsbqzogrr4.jpg

Bonnet alarm switch, looks ok and clearly has not solved the alarm problem...

9CAC1405-639C-441F-B229-1EC959A9E6E6_zpssqajjpzq.jpg

Another strange anomaly is that the electric mirror switch appears to be at fault. At first I thought they weren't working at all, but they are, just that the when the right side switch is selected it adjusts the left mirror and vice versa, so unsure what's causing this, any ideas? I suppose it could just be down to the vagaries of Renault electrical systems, but I'd like to resolve it if possible.

Thanks,

Lewis.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Regards the the mirrors would it be as simple as swapping relevant wires around?

I’m sure I remember someone on here having an issue, forget what the outcome was now :/

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
I understand the gravity of the situation with the rear shock bolts, but i've read on csoc before with people having them come loose. Mine were super difficult to thread in last time and were near to the torque spec before they were all the way in. But then I removed them, ran a tap down the thread and it went in fine and torqued up happily all the way in.

If you're seeing other bolts loose under the car that isn't good though... I'd have to agree with checking everything over again and maybe agree they weren't torqued up properly. What are the top nuts like on the rear shocks?

I don't run one at all and my alarm never randomly sounds. It's a very common switch problem so strange that this didn't cure it.

Where are your interior sensor pointing too?

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
I would imagine its fairly easy to strip the rear beam threads for the shocks if you don't support the beam when un-doing them and un-do them slowly as the beam will just fall down and the bolt could get stuck in the thread, I think I made this mistake when I first did mine a few cars ago but was lucky enough not to destroy the thread.

Megane275R / 172 mk2
Thanks guys.

Regards the the mirrors would it be as simple as swapping relevant wires around?

I’m sure I remember someone on here having an issue, forget what the outcome was now :/

I thought initially the switch button had been installed upside down but I checked last night and that is the only way it can be fitted, not sure what else it could be other than a wiring discrepancy?

I understand the gravity of the situation with the rear shock bolts, but i've read on csoc before with people having them come loose. Mine were super difficult to thread in last time and were near to the torque spec before they were all the way in. But then I removed them, ran a tap down the thread and it went in fine and torqued up happily all the way in.

If you're seeing other bolts loose under the car that isn't good though... I'd have to agree with checking everything over again and maybe agree they weren't torqued up properly. What are the top nuts like on the rear shocks?

I don't run one at all and my alarm never randomly sounds. It's a very common switch problem so strange that this didn't cure it.

Where are your interior sensor pointing too?

I checked most other bolts on suspension and haven't had time to do them all but I will do. Nipped up a few that were fastened but not quite as tight as they should be, but otherwise it was ok.

The sensors point into the car from the pillars by the windscreen as normal. There is a dash cam fitted (would've been able to put my demise due to loose damper bolt on youtube 'lol) so I'm not sure if the wiring of this has somehow cocked up the rest of the electrics? This was fitted before Chris owned the car just to clarify, not having a pop there!

I would imagine its fairly easy to strip the rear beam threads for the shocks if you don't support the beam when un-doing them and un-do them slowly as the beam will just fall down and the bolt could get stuck in the thread, I think I made this mistake when I first did mine a few cars ago but was lucky enough not to destroy the thread.

100% not stripped or threaded, just not tightened correctly. I've had a thorough inspection, but yes I can see how this could be done. Same set up as a Saxo in terms of the rear dampers.

Have you done the ignition trick mate to see if the alarm still goes off?

Not aware of this no, what's the procedure? Thanks!

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
The mirror switch does exactly the same on my Cup and previous ones I have owned. I have replaced my door pulls on most of them with the non-sticky ones from a basic model. I still have the old handles and a few switches so might try them and see if the origional switch is any different.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
I'm pretty sure some cars came with the switch pointing the other way so it may have been replaced at one point as the 3 dots are meant to be closest to the dash

Megane275R / 172 mk2
I'm pretty sure some cars came with the switch pointing the other way so it may have been replaced at one point as the 3 dots are meant to be closest to the dash

I wonder whether it's because Chris swapped out the handle with a base model Clio that it's different? My wife had a Clio years ago and I can't remember whether that had the three dots facing down or up...must be a logical explanation for it anyway.

So I've been enjoying buzzing around in the Clio this week, it's definitely a fun machine and it does handle well. The characteristics are very different to the Trophy R, and while it's nimble it's nowhere near as sharp (to be expected) so it's taken some time for me to get accustomed to the handling of the car and how it behaves. It does go well though, and it's surprisingly rapid. Had a spirited burst with another chap in a Cooper S Works this morning and he could not pull away from the Cup - not bad for a 15 year old motor (insert thumbs up here).

Last night saw the ticking off of a few more small jobs. There was some kind of sticky sputum / glue residue along the top edges of the driver windows which I can only assume is from window tints (shudder), so I set about cleaning this off with some strong solvent. There was also glue residue from the old window stickers along by the A pillar so I cleaned this off too. Looks heaps better. I also cleaned the fabric on the door cards as there was ingrained dirt and grubbiness on the drivers side (again not particularly visible to the untrained eye but obvious under close inspection). There was also some detritus in the edges of the badge nook on the steering wheel so this was dispatched too. My goal is to get the car as mint as possible.

Following on from the previous loose nut debacle, I thought it prudent to check the wheel bolts were torqued correctly....mostly they were just ok, but all needed to be nipped up to the correct setting. One locker was also frighteningly loose, but in fairness to Chris he did have new tyres fitted so one can only assume this was down to the muppets who installed those. You just cannot get the staff these days!

Some photos:

Window residue:

7B273760-6124-48BA-B389-1C326B683247_zpsd8ybwspd.jpg

7A8FBA7D-3DBE-4523-882D-0DF67C28AB2A_zpspit9igdt.jpg

Window sticker residue:

49F0705B-2270-4EF5-B342-DDC81A536B58_zpsjotwmj1f.jpg

The solution I used to remove it. If you buy some of this be very careful as it's particularly potnent and the vapour should not be inhaled, also be careful not to get any overspray on plastics as it could quickly damage them:

20A736BD-BF71-4CB9-940B-81CDC1604E19_zpsqpjkbbog.jpg

During removal:

CC0C8670-D05B-4495-BA2B-81BEBB928D96_zpscpixusjr.jpg

5E112FBD-F47C-4C4F-9113-78434EE64645_zps2d3aohv0.jpg

All gone and looking much better:

0CEC0A15-12D4-46C9-B3DB-AFD3164ABBAA_zpsdsmprdtv.jpg

Steering wheel dirt (it looked worse in the flesh):

DAD704C8-3486-4312-B26D-9D6B7BD2E156_zpsx0bgs10j.jpg

During removal:

22D19FF7-C470-4FEA-858A-A6B90CAE09B4_zpsdsirortl.jpg

Clean and mint :)

D1ADC9A6-91BA-4F99-B1A1-201C8615276B_zps3slgtcgx.jpg

Cleaning of door card fabric, most of this dirt was overlooked during previous 'detailing' processes, you can see what has come off on the microfiber!

75FA22BB-B65D-489B-BCAB-4FEDD4520CAC_zpshj1dppep.jpg

All done and looking much better:

1473CC6D-55E0-4C26-BC88-575186770E77_zpsnsxzkeuj.jpg

The same principle applied to rear bench:

4143F54D-8B26-49EF-9865-9C4C32E3389B_zpsmziceeyv.jpg

Unfortunately I ran out of time for a photo of the finished article but it looks much cleaner now. Much of the trim and surfaces had been covered in a sticky plastic treatment and I cannot abide the feel of that, so all surfaces and plastics were cleaned with Megs Pro QD which left a nice satin finish and smooth finish to the touch. Getting there slowly!

I also cleaned the nooks and crannies of the plastic trim along the footwell edges:

9AE2C759-E639-483C-82D7-2711A8FF3BDA_zps6zosgyb9.jpg

Checking and nipping up of wheel nuts:

8AF821FC-3395-4441-A3DF-712575C346A0_zpskjqfdjmd.jpg

They are all good now so the last safety checks are to go over the suspension bolts during the weekend. It will then be onto external detailing, exhaust correction, and engine bay tidying and addressing of finishes.

Re; 'Alarmgate', I have tried the ignition trick this morning at work so we shall see if it goes off during the day. Does this have to be done every time upon exiting the car to avoid the alarm being activated then?

Thanks,

Lewis.

MrBlonde

ClioSport Club Member
I think so mate until you get it sorted properly i guess to find the actual fault.I only do it at work as the trucks going past seem to set it off,i may disconnect the bonnet sensor and if its just that.

Also what did you use to clean the cloth on the door cards?

Megane275R / 172 mk2
Correction to my post above, glue was on both windows not just drivers side hence photos of passenger window!

I think so mate until you get it sorted properly i guess to find the actual fault.I only do it at work as the trucks going past seem to set it off,i may disconnect the bonnet sensor and if its just that.

Also what did you use to clean the cloth on the door cards?

Ok great thanks. So does yours not go off when it's on your drive at home? Mine just goes off whenever the car is locked normally. So far so good this morning, although it set off at 4AM the other morning after being off for hours, however I had not done the 'ignition trick' that evening. This needs to be done quickly too right upon stopping, as I tried it at lunch yesterday after being in the car when stopped for a while and it did nothing. This morning it beeped three times upon locking.

On the doorcards I again use the Megs detailer, it's a gentle solution but just potent enough to remove stubborn dirt and it does not foam up loads and create lots of work to remove unlike AG interior shampoo. Just don't rub them too hard as you'll damage the pile otherwise, it's quite delicate. It's not the stuff you buy from Halfords though it's the large 5L bottles available from detailing companies online, and it is a different type of solution.

MrBlonde

ClioSport Club Member
No mate it doesnt go off at home,That ignition trick turns off the sensors but,not sure if thats just the cabin ones or inc the bonnet sensor to.Hopefully its just the bonnet sensor that needs replacing.

ok thanks,i need to give my seats and cards a clean,i was thinking of using the AG stuff,but may look into another one now.

Megane275R / 172 mk2
No mate it doesnt go off at home,That ignition trick turns off the sensors but,not sure if thats just the cabin ones or inc the bonnet sensor to.Hopefully its just the bonnet sensor that needs replacing.

ok thanks,i need to give my seats and cards a clean,i was thinking of using the AG stuff,but may look into another one now.

Ahhh I see, so I suppose if you taped over the sensors then that would in effect do the same thing, unless it's a faulty sensor causing the alarm to activate...who knows!

After reading this I really feel sorry for poor Chris.

This threads like a show trial.

Not sure what you mean guys, also i'm not so sure you'd feel sorry for him if it was either of you in my position, perhaps you should consider that as some food for thought?

Furthermore I actually stated above that wheel nuts were probably nothing to do with Chris? I am merely reporting my findings on the items that needed attention, nothing more, nothing less.

Last edited:

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
Ahhh I see, so I suppose if you taped over the sensors then that would in effect do the same thing, unless it's a faulty sensor causing the alarm to activate...who knows!

Not sure what you mean guys, also i'm not so sure you'd feel sorry for him if it was either of you in my position, perhaps you should consider that as some food for thought?

Furthermore I actually stated above that wheel nuts were probably nothing to do with Chris? I am merely reporting my findings on the items that needed attention, nothing more, nothing less.

You just come across as a bit of a bell end to be honest mate. I’m sure you’re not but that’s the way the internet works.

I’m sure I come across as a bit of a bell end but the difference is that I actually am a bell end in real life.

Nice progress. I do like a restore / clean up thread. I love things minty fresh.

I believe it's just the interior ones.

Megane275R / 172 mk2
You just come across as a bit of a bell end to be honest mate. I’m sure you’re not but that’s the way the internet works.

I’m sure I come across as a bit of a bell end but the difference is that I actually am a bell end in real life.

Lol I see, it's fortunate that the opinions of others don't worry me too much then eh ;)

Perhaps this will help you understand my initial frustration; I paid full whack for a car that had some quite concerning issues, anyone with a degree of sanity would feel the same way. If you are going to play at being a pro and present something in a particular way then you need to ensure that you deliver, i.e. don't sell it on to someone without checking your handiwork. Sorry to labour the point but if you can't understand that there is no point in explaining further.

Other than that it's all good, and I have simply been adding my improvements. Can't see why that would ruffle anyone's feathers?

Megane275R / 172 mk2
its why i never advertise my cars as mint, ever.

In fairness I didn't expect the car to be mint at all, it's 15 years old, my only gripe is (or now was as I'm over it) the poor level of workmanship in certain areas. That's all. There are also a few things that I was told that seem to conflict with what was presented in the build thread, I'm not stupid and I don't like being mugged off by anyone, especially when money is concerned. I'm a very trusting person so when it transpires that things are as they seem it's disappointing, that is all!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.