ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

More Woes to my Clio - Part 18 or so

rctempire

ClioSport Moderator
Im without a car now until Saturday, not so fun.

Driving along the motorway, not gunning it, driving with the lady friend in the passenger seat, so was driving alright. Noticed my temp gauge just going up and up. Pulled over to the hard shoulder and opened bonnet, there was water everywhere. :( Not good. Looks like my thoughts had been confirmed, i couldnt figure out where all the water was going, and im thinking now i had a problem somewhere as the car nearly overheated.

Got a tow back home from dad, it is amazing how many people wish to cut in between your car these days, little do people care on the fact i was being towed, or the fact i had a tow bar connected from my car to my dads, people still wanted to cut infront of me.

Anyway, back to the story. Got home filled car with water and checked for any leaks. Pal mechanic came over and whipped the thermostat off, found out this wasnt opening to well, so replaced that, still no joy. No heat in the pipes and heaters were cold.

Next option seems to be that the water pump has failed. :( I only had this installed 3 months ago aswell. Looks like ive possibly got a dodgy one, just my luck. So compression test today at my mates garage to find out if any damage is been done to the head. :(

Ohh well, my woes are still on going.

The list now stands at (in order of it being done):
O/S Quater damage (bought car like that) - Repaired.
N/S Wing damaged (vandal) - Repaired.
Coil Pack - Replaced
Big Ends going on D-Type Engine - Replaced full engine.
Driveshafts (both sides) - Replaced
Mainifold Leaking (Spot Welded) - Repaired
Center Exhaust Section disappearing on road - Replaced.
Timing Belt & Water Pump done - 555500 Miles - Replaced
Car Lowered - Done
Being Reversed into - Never fixed.
Paint Stripper on the Paintwork - Not fixed, as yet, booked in.
Car Loosing Water. Car blowing water all over motorway - Done.
Thermostat broke - Replaced
Water Pump/Compression Test - Awaiting Answers.

Good list i think for a Mark 1.

Clio Biarritz-Mk1 Ph3 with a temp gauge?

Bad luck fella. I'd chop that in. You'll be suprised how quick you'll be able to get rid and get something more reliable.

e60 M5 -172- dciheid
harsh mate harsh.

sounding a little like good money after bad.

hows the insurance situ with regards to a move up to more powerful metal?

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Looks like i've found someone trying as hard as me to to have the most unreliable clio on CS.

rctempire

ClioSport Moderator
Clio Biarritz-Mk1 Ph3 with a temp gauge?

Bad luck fella. I'd chop that in. You'll be suprised how quick you'll be able to get rid and get something more reliable.
Yes temp gauge is from the 16V car, mine works a treat. Also, if you replace the Renault Section Name Part in the dials with just petrol and speedo with a Temp Gauge it works great too.

harsh mate harsh.

sounding a little like good money after bad.

hows the insurance situ with regards to a move up to more powerful metal?
Most likely to cost me a lot more for insurance. My quotes for 172/182 were averaging around £1500-£3000 for TPFT.

Dear indeed.

Looks like i've found someone trying as hard as me to to have the most unreliable clio on CS.

I bet i win trust me.

Terrible news mate.

Really not what you need after everything else.

Hope its not too pricey to get sorted, if so then maybe a change would be more cost effective in the long run. Though you have put a lot of time and effort into this one....
Best of luck getting it sorted.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
bet you don't, as a little taster i've had 3 new gearbox's and 2 cambelts in last 18 months lol

i've had 3 new gearbox's and 2 cambelts in last 18 months lol

Thats impressive.
Looks like you two are pretty good competition for each other!
In a bad way, expensive way tho....
The most basic thing you want a car to do it to get you from a to b, when i can't do that you really begin to question why you bother....

rctempire

ClioSport Moderator
Well update guys and gals.

Bled the system for three hours last night, and it still had air in it, even drove it around and bled it again, still air in system. However now my heaters work great and the water pump seems to be working as the fan came on last night.

Looking more like my head is gone now. :(

visualize whirled pe
Bloody hell man, you have had some bad luck. I had a MK2 golf exactly the same, I spent time and money on that car when I probably should have jacked it in, personally I would cut your losses with this one if it's going to cost a lot to fix this time.

tiTTy & SV650
any pipes damaged? the 205 has a metal water pipe from the bottom of the rad supplying the water pump, they rot pretty badly so I replaced it as soon as I got mine.

might be something simple.

If you keep bleeding it yet there's still air there's gotta be a leak somewhere surely which is introducing more air?!

Last edited:
  BMW M135i
If you keep bleeding it yet there's still air there's gotta be a leak somewhere surely which is introducing more air?!
If the head gasket is shot then its probably leaking combustions gasses into the water galleries hence why he can't get the system bled.

rctempire

ClioSport Moderator
That sucks!! :(
Sorry to hear that!
It sucks indeed

any pipes damaged? the 205 has a metal water pipe from the bottom of the rad supplying the water pump, they rot pretty badly so I replaced it as soon as I got mine.
might be something simple.
Ive checked for leaks with the water compression test. No luck.
If the head gasket is shot then its probably leaking combustions gasses into the water galleries hence why he can't get the system bled.
Yes the residue from the exhaust is wet, suggesting the water going down into the manifold.
yeah, adam any emulsified oil in on the dip stick?
None, checked and checked and checked. None at all.