ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Most cost effective 172 modifications

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
Driver tuition...it cures just about every 'problem' out there.
Also gives you something to do other than chasing badly driven supercars as most of us will never get enough track time to claim to be a master of track driving.

The original poster has previous track time but it's still valid as I had plenty of Sprint and track day time before the Clio and I still suck!!

Can imagine the seat mod being helpful if your tall and wearing a helmet. I'm only 5"10'

I tried heel and toe but I dont think it will work for me with this car (like every other I have driven) also my trainers catch on the brake pedal when I lift off the throttle. I tend to just rev match which is fine on the road but a little more stressful and dangerous on track!

Stupid pedals.

2003 Clio 172
I tried heel and toe but I dont think it will work for me with this car (like every other I have driven) also my trainers catch on the brake pedal when I lift off the throttle. I tend to just rev match which is fine on the road but a little more stressful and dangerous on track!

Stupid pedals.

I wear size 12 and not even my winter shoes catch on the brake pedal.

I agree heel-toe can feel a bit awkward but it's definitely doable.

Can imagine the seat mod being helpful if your tall and wearing a helmet. I'm only 5"10'

I have yet to sit behind the wheel with a helmet on but being 6'2" I appreciate any help I can get.
I already find the seating position being far from optimal and I'd love a pair of Trendlines but money is, as always, a factor.

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
Practice makes perfect. Even my poor attempts are still noticeably smoother (passengers comments not mine) and so worth persevering with until I get it right. Driving a older turbo diesel with it's awful throttle response means I get little practice so it's gonna take a while. It costs no money unlike the never ending quest to chase faster cars and will save some in gearbox wear in the long run.

Optimal for what? I can drive it so it works for me. Haven't fallen out the Cup seats yet despite my best efforts on road rubber.

Im quite specific on where I like the steering wheel so because it hasnt got reach adjustment I have to adjust the seat and backrest to suit.

I find if the wheel is in an optimal position you have far greater control when cornering. I see some people with the wheel so high they have to reach for it which cant be good mid corner. Mine almost touches my legs I have it that low!

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
I have yet to sit behind the wheel with a helmet on but being 6'2" I appreciate any help I can get.
I already find the seating position being far from optimal and I'd love a pair of Trendlines but money is, as always, a factor.

I'm 6'3" and only have a 32"/regular inside leg measurement so I'm very long in the body. I fit fine with a helmet on now the plastic mounts have been removed from under the standard seat but probably the most important change was replacing the standard steering wheel. The combination of the boss and the dish on the wheel brought it forward about 15cm. I've actually got a pretty good driving position now.

Whiteline is being fitted next week, going to do Brands later in the month :)

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
I shared a seat position with my dad who is 3 inches shorter than me for years as we only had a fixed seat position in our track car at the time. I also drive in a slightly hunched position to make sure my son's seat doesn't touch mine and my wife is comfortable on longer journeys. Bigger car won't fit on the drive.

Ergonomics are very low on my list of requirements as a driver. On track or off. Probably comes from 14 hour days in vans bouncing down back roads with poor driving positions in the past. Got used to holding the wheel while cornering while I was in mid air :p

Handy really as I'm told the clio's is awful. Not had a problem in the Clio yet. Touch wood......

I used to drive a Jewson transit van for about a year. That was by far THE worst driving position of any vehicle ever! I think it took a few months after leaving that job and many sessions in the gym for me to walk with a straighy back lol

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
I had the older pointy noise sprinters. The transit was like a massage by comparison. Good job the older sprinter went well so they were a good crack down the lanes. My favourite was the vivaro's after driving a 3.5 ton van they actually felt really small and nimble!

Newer sprinter was better but still somehow you were always leaning forward.

I'll put up with anything now!

Saved me hours messing around with small hatchback seats.