ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mot advisory help

JohnnyE

ClioSport Club Member
  ITB'd Clio
Car passed mot today and only advisory was suspension arm ball joint has slight play near side front
(Wishbone)
So now looking to sort this so best lace to source the wishbones and would anyone advise on replacing anything else while getting this sorted.
Only done 500 miles last year need to get it out more.

As above plus ball joints and ARB bushes while you’re in there. If it’s a road car then go with OEM wishbones which come with new ball joints pre-installed.

Oops - I misread as play in the wishbone bush. Yes, if just ball joint then you could just do that but wishbones are cheap and worth doing if they haven’t been done recently. These cars are at their best with fresh bushes.

Bear in mind the ball joints can be a faff to separate from the wishbone and the rubber boot easy to damage with a balljoint splitter, so buying the complete unit might save you some grief.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
If your replacing it I wouldn't be worried about the rubber boot :)

Ball joint separator and a club hammer - job done. OEM wishbones aren't that cheap at £100 each.

Trouble is if you start looking for it you will find everything is past its best, next thing you'll be balls deep in waxoil with wire brush bristles sticking out your face, new shocks, wishbones, track rods, top mounts on order....

Then you'll notice that crack in your CV boot..... its a long road...

Or you could just change what needs changing, go inside and have a beer.... I know which I didn't do and which I would probably do next time hahah.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Then after all your hard work, money, grazed knuckles and swearing the engine check light will pop on after a few miles of driving.

Obviously none of this has happened to me recently....

Trouble is if you start looking for it you will find everything is past its best, next thing you'll be balls deep in waxoil with wire brush bristles sticking out your face, new shocks, wishbones, track rods, top mounts on order....
That’s normal behaviour isn’t it? :)

I had a complete refresh planned but actually gave up trying to get the balljoint pinch bolts unseized. Paid a nice man to do it all...well worth the couple of hours of labour.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
I'd do nothing, leave it till summer.

f**k pissing around now in the cold and the rain, it passed an MOT so it's not gunna fall apart tomorrow.
Use the time to buy parts, spread the cost of a suspension refresh over several months.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
I think if I set out to change the steering rack bushes with the engine in the car I would buy all the parts, jack it up, look at where they are and just set fire to the car, hopfully it will be in the garage and I'll manage to torch the house too.... two birds one stone etc.