ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MOT Fail - Brake pedal anti-slip provision missing

My 182 failed its MOT today due to "Brake pedal anti-slip provision missing". But looking back at my original pedals it doesn't look like they had any rubber on them.

Is the fact that the holes on the original pedals are raised up slightly enough to cover this?

The new ones were fitted back in 2018 so have been through 2 MOTs with no advisories. :unsure:

Original:
44924772002_ea3c6e3cb5_b-jpg.jpg

New:
43161474740_568de87bc9_b-jpg.jpg

It also failed on "Nearside Rear Position lamp adversely affected by the operation of another lamp indicator" but I've just been out and looked at the light unit and the connector looks fine. So not sure what that could be. I have noticed the fog light symbol on the dash very dimmly lights up when I brake.

loggyboy

ClioSport Club Member
If pedal is in decent condition Refer him to this:

A brake pedal without a rubber usually has grooves or raised sections to provide grip in wet conditions and should be rejected if it’s worn smooth. However, some vehicles may have been manufactured with a brake pedal which did not incorporate grooves or the fitting of an anti-slip material and these should not be rejected
Clean the earths theres 2 behind the panel below opening.

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
Yeah that shouldn't have failed on the pedals.

the rear light interaction can be fixed within a few minutes. Pop the rear lamps off, flip the backs up on the connectors and push the pins closer together. Will sort the interaction and fog light illuminating on your instrument panel.

If pedal is in decent condition Refer him to this:

A brake pedal without a rubber usually has grooves or raised sections to provide grip in wet conditions and should be rejected if it’s worn smooth. However, some vehicles may have been manufactured with a brake pedal which did not incorporate grooves or the fitting of an anti-slip material and these should not be rejected
Clean the earths theres 2 behind the panel below opening.
Legend! Thank you, I'll print that out and take it with me. Which panel do you mean?

Yeah that shouldn't have failed on the pedals.

the rear light interaction can be fixed within a few minutes. Pop the rear lamps off, flip the backs up on the connectors and push the pins closer together. Will sort the interaction and fog light illuminating on your instrument panel.
Will do. Thanks!

loggyboy

ClioSport Club Member
Do what Alistair suggested first, thats most likely, but if that fails, when you open the boot, theres a plastic trim panel across the bottom of the opening held in with a couple of torx. Behind that is 2 earths, 1 either side, just check the conditon of those.

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
Sounds like the tester was having a bad day! Ive had some ridiculous MOT advisories but this one is a new one to me 🤣

Well it passed!

Tweaking the rear light connectors did the trick. And I printed out the brake pedal rule. Apparently it caused quite the discussion between the two MOT testers, which made me smile when the garage owner told me. :LOL:

He also mentioned that the holes on the original brake pedal in my picture have a slight raised part, which would offer more grip. Which I can totally agree with. But the new pedals still have grip, they're just slightly different.

They are a good garage, but I don't think I'll be going there for an MOT next year 😁

Thanks for the help everyone!

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
To be fair, My MOT testers are always deep in discussion about things, every day is a school day for them! I always tell them if in doubt, Pass and advise.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
interesting, 172/182 pedals have been one of my most popular items and this is the first case of a car failing an MOT on my pedals.

glad you got it sorted