ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MOT fail on CV boots. What would you do?

182 Clio
I checked the CV boots this evening and both the large clips are gone, but the rubber is fine.Common problem looking at threads on here.
72946-0055d233c9bc9f4202c3b4bf34b15165.jpg

72947-af90ca1d2ffa9c25c0371f4b5aa0595a.jpg

Anyway the garage has quoted £300 to fix these including doing one bottom balljoint.!!!
If I clean up the grease around the CV boot and put a Jubilee clip on will this be satisfactory for the MOT?
Also anyone know what size Jubilee clip to use?
I would appreciate any advice.

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    43.5 KB · Views: 314
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    106.8 KB · Views: 377

..Jack..

West Midlands
ClioSport Area Rep
You'll be fine to do this as long as the cv joint itself isn't knackered. A cable tie is often used.

182cup & 172 racecar
I tried cable ties on mine, didn't last very long, I just went into my mates garage and he put the proper clips on for me, took him 10 mins, certainly not £300 worth.

Take it elsewhere if you don't fancy doing it yourself.

182 Clio
£300! CV boots are only about a tenner each iirc.
Exactly my thoughts. Maybe I heard them wrong. I assume they are changing the boots for that price, but it still seems expensive even with a balljoint at £20-30.

..Jack..

West Midlands
ClioSport Area Rep
Exactly my thoughts. Maybe I heard them wrong. I assume they are changing the boots for that price, but it still seems expensive even with a balljoint at £20-30.

It's really not a difficult job to do, an hours labour tops so shouldn't be any more than £100

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Can't believe you put it in for MOT like that! I used jubilee clip when had mine.

182 Clio
Can't believe you put it in for MOT like that! I used jubilee clip when had mine.

I know....I know. I really should have things like that sorted before hand but once again it was all a last minute rush getting it booked in. My garage is an absolute pit at the moment so I will have to work outside this weekend. I really should get an MOT done in the spring so I don't have to do it this time of year.
Anyway thanks for all the advice, I will get the ball joint ordered tomorrow then off to find some jubilee clips from Halfords.

Ph1 172, Accord
Just done exactly the same to mine this weekend, cost me about £30 altogether including a pickle fork to split the ball joint. A lot of swearing was done and a hammer got thrown into a bush but certainly a better option than paying £300!

LY FF182
70-90mm jubilee clip. I put a couple on mine tonight. And clio is about the easiest ball joint to change ever

182 Clio
Thanks for all your advise guys.
I replaced the ball joint(£17 Euro car parts) and CV boot clips(£7 Halfords) at the weekend.
Car was in for retest today and passed with nothing more to pay. Happy days.