ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MOT failure, help!

172 cup
Car failed the mot today, problem I have is the garage aren't sure how to resolve the issue lol.

It failed on brake efficiency

Front ball joint has excessive play, nearside rear brake recording little or no effort and same for the offside.

It's nothing to do with the discs and pads. They have suggested a brake fluid change and clean up and see if that puts the efficiency up. He didn't fill me with confidence however, one of the other mechanics suggested its a common thing for the cups apparently but they still couldn't shed much light.

Just wondered if anyone on here had experienced the same and knew the remedy, any help would be great.

Car failed the mot today, problem I have is the garage aren't sure how to resolve the issue lol.

It failed on brake efficiency

Front ball joint has excessive play, nearside rear brake recording little or no effort and same for the offside.

It's nothing to do with the discs and pads. They have suggested a brake fluid change and clean up and see if that puts the efficiency up. He didn't fill me with confidence however, one of the other mechanics suggested its a common thing for the cups apparently but they still couldn't shed much light.

Just wondered if anyone on here had experienced the same and knew the remedy, any help would be great.

Mine fails on this every year. There is a vosa newsletter on here somewhere about the rear brakes failing the MOT's.

Edit: found it
http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/repository/MoT%20Issue%2031%20-%20Apr%202006.pdf

MK3 GTI golf 16v
they dont know how to resolve the issue ? lol, go elsewhere ?

bleed the brakes and maybe caliper overhauls ? front ball joint is self explanatory obviously

Clio 172 cup
When i took my cup in they said that a message came up on their laptop/machine about the rear brake have little/no effort so they passed it.

Just aswell the rear discs on my cup are nothing but rust

2014 Clio 200t edc
Looks like a trip back to them with that visa document will sort that issue out! Let em have it!!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
What exactly will a brake fluid change do to improve a brake test on an MOT?? :S

Clio MK2 1.4 16v
Someone elses failed a couple of weeks ago and wanted to crash it with a JCB

If you decide the same, can you please use a Caterpillar? I hate repetition

172 cup
Had it in today and they think it's the loading sensor? This make sense, they didn't sound too confident on the phone

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Did you print off the VOSA thing and show them? There is nothing wrong with the brakes!