ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MOT Failure(s) today

Clio 182
Alrite guys,

Tried to MOT the car today(first mot since ive owned it), number of issues so any advice would be great - was tempted to trade in, but seeing ive spent £700 in december for dephaser/timing/all belts, i think i should prob fix it:

miltek&decat - failed on CO emmisions - <0.2%. actual = 8.47% - seems ridiculously high? - May have someone to test this again to pass
Incomplete front spring - FFS, is there a good site to get replacment OEM?
Xenons angled too low - could this be because of broken spring?
Offside front Track Rod end, ball joint has excesive play? one of these? - http://www.k-tecracing.com/show_product.asp?id=3870&appid=2
Offside inner front CV gaitor joint damaged to extent that it no longer prevents ingress of dirt

ABS fault lights - these are coming on intermitantly when driving - think its something to do with sensor @ pedal? - so presuming if not illuminated on day of test then it shouldn't fail on this?

Cheers
Steve

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Why would you attempt to take it through without a cat ?! :S

Speak to Wests Renault on here (Traders section) if you want cheaper OEM parts...

Megane dci 130
Emissions will be because of your decatted exhaust.
You will need a new track rod end, what you have pictured is a ball joint.
You will also need a new inner cv gaiter
Headlights just need adjusting depending on the height sensors being connected still.
And a new spring will be easy to come by.

GRitch

ClioSport Club Member
  Polo BlueGT
Your emissions will be right without the cat in it. The reason the cats there is to clear the emissions.
Call rentech for second hand springs and driveshaft, offer 3 months warranty.
The abs could be an abs ring. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Clio 182
Why would you attempt to take it through without a cat ?! :S
Speak to Wests Renault on here (Traders section) if you want cheaper OEM parts...

Don't have the cat as the garage who sold me the car had already put it through mot and said it was fine, so i presumed it would have been ok,

Not to bothered if its genuine renault parts or what not, just anything that I can use to keep it on the road when the mot expires next week, any ideas on rough pricing for the parts I require? just so I know if im getting shafted or not when it comes to sourcing these,

Will pop into rentech on thur n see wat they say, seem like decent guys - they done the dephaser etc.

just gutted as ive nearly balanced my back since leaving uni last yr, sposse i will by un-sensible cars tho :p

miltek&decat - failed on CO emmisions - <0.2%. actual = 8.47% - seems ridiculously high? - May have someone to test this again to pass Put a cat in
Incomplete front spring - FFS, is there a good site to get replacment OEM? Eibach sportlines
Xenons angled too low - could this be because of broken spring? Headlight alignment?
Offside front Track Rod end, ball joint has excessive play? one of these? - See pic below
Offside inner front CV gaiter joint damaged to extent that it no longer prevents ingress of dirt New or second hand shaft

ABS fault lights - these are coming on intermittently when driving - think its something to do with sensor @ pedal? - so presuming if not illuminated on day of test then it shouldn't fail on this? Brake pedal switch at a guess.

Cheers
Steve

Something like this
track_rod_end.jpg

Hope that helps a bit.

Clio 172 Sport
Right,
1) A decat will **** up your emissions period. To get it through an MOT you will need to refit a CAT and then then remove it afterwards if you can be bothered. Personally it all seems too much aggro to keep messing around for the 2-5bhp it releases, and tends to leave the midrange a bit lacking as these cars are tuned to run with CATs.
2) Change the front springs as a pair as you can never guarantee the same poundage and one will be weaker than the other if you do only one. Might be the ideal opportunity to stick that set of Eibach or Pi springs on it?
3) Track rod ends are available from any local motor factor for £7-£15 and k-tec ones will be no better quality i'm afraid. You will have to have the tracking checked immediately after fitting for safety purposes.
4) Change the CV gaitor and clean and re-grease the joint.
5) Get the headlamp aim adjusted (easy and cheap)
6) The ABS will only fail if the light illuminates during the test, but will be best fixed by getting the fault cides read by a garage with a decent test kit. It will probably only be a speed ring or sensor which are available pattern very cheaply off the net.
Hope this helps
Cliff