ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio mk2 1.5 dci 80
Hope everyone is having a good day!

My MOT is due in a month and will be sending it in early, I have a dci80 and I dont see any massive problems with the car I know there is the two advisories from last year which was lower ball joint on driver side and an perishing exhaust mount. My issues with the car is the back wiper blade needs replacing and one or both of the front wheel bearings starts to make a noise at 40mph+.

Overall the car does well and it gets me from point A to point B and does so at 80mpg when i drove 300miles the other week. Is there a checklist i should go through to give myself the best chances of passing or any work i should do before the test. On top of this how would everyone reccomend reducing my emissions as thats what my family thinks will be the real killer of the car as its a diesel. I have recently used Redex with a tank of fuel and ran that through the car and considering the great mpg figures i get (80 on long journey's and 70 in town driving) there cant be much CO2 being emmited as the fuel is burning well?

Thanks for any help!

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
Not much help but the rear wiper is not part of the MOT test so I wouldn't worry about that one. Just sign up for the emails from eurocarparts and wait for 50% off on wiper blades. Should get you one for about six quid.

Clio mk2 1.5 dci 80
Not much help but the rear wiper is not part of the MOT test so I wouldn't worry about that one. Just sign up for the emails from eurocarparts and wait for 50% off on wiper blades. Should get you one for about six quid.
The seal is ripped, i know it can be removed but i think its a case of if you have one it needs to be legal. Like a spare tyre you don't need one but if you do it has to be legal.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/car-parts-checked-at-an-mot

80mpg is pretty amazing, though - I want that sort of mpg but at 182 acceleration/power, lol.

It is very good but when driving around for fun its more like 65, thats expected though considering ill be shifting at 3/4k RPM instead of 2k when on a long drive. Very lucky to have it though makes fuel very cheap. :D

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
On top of this how would everyone reccomend reducing my emissions as thats what my family thinks will be the real killer of the car as its a diesel.

No offence, but your family don't sound like they know much about cars, you should ignore them.
Unless the car is visibly kicking out smoke you'll sail through the MOT on emissions.

You'll fail on the wheel bearings if they're knackered and if you didn't get the previous advisories seen to they will probs fail as well.

Also why have you not replaced the rear wiper?? It's like a five minute job and can't cost more than a few quid for a new one???

Clio mk2 1.5 dci 80
No offence, but your family don't sound like they know much about cars, you should ignore them.
Unless the car is visibly kicking out smoke you'll sail through the MOT on emissions.

You'll fail on the wheel bearings if they're knackered and if you didn't get the previous advisories seen to they will probs fail as well.

Also why have you not replaced the rear wiper?? It's like a five minute job and can't cost more than a few quid for a new one???
Dad knows a bit just because he has owned a car for alot longer, he's concerned just because he knows emissions is getting stricter and its an older car. Havent done the wiper just because it hasnt caused me problems. It'll be done before it goes in for an MOT. Yeah the previous advisories haven't been done as far as I know.

There isnt visible smoke when normally running, if im flooring it there will but i'm hoping thats just a normal thing

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
They've tightened them up a little but it's still a piece of piss to pass as long as the engine is running alrite and the exhaust hasn't been messed around with.
It's designed to catch defective cars, as long as your car is running properly you'll sail through.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Sounds like the car is at death's door already. Trade it in and get yourself a 182. :p

In all seriousness though - it doesn't sound bad at all. Let's face it - diesels are still being made so there's life left in oil burners. Bearings on the other hand, will need addressing - especially if they were advisories on the previous one.

Clio mk2 1.5 dci 80
Sounds like the car is at death's door already. Trade it in and get yourself a 182. :p

In all seriousness though - it doesn't sound bad at all. Let's face it - diesels are still being made so there's life left in oil burners. Bearings on the other hand, will need addressing - especially if they were advisories on the previous one.
This was an advisory on the last mot. Last mot had issues with exhaust mount and lower ball joint. I think this is a newer problem. I wouldn't do the job myself as I don't have a press so might as well send it through the mot.

Clio mk2 1.5 dci 80

Sadly I don't even think I'll get a 182 as my next car. Just wanna try different stuff however a 182 suits me well as I want a power bump and a hatchback without breaking the bank

Clio mk2 1.5 dci 80
In case it wasn't obvious in my previous post, there is a checklist of things they look at on the link I posted.
I saw it and had a look. I think I'll be alright I have confidence for my emmisions but I have redex in my fuel at the moment not sure if that will affect my readings for the mot or if I should try and dilute it as much as possible before the mot

I saw it and had a look. I think I'll be alright I have confidence for my emmisions but I have redex in my fuel at the moment not sure if that will affect my readings for the mot or if I should try and dilute it as much as possible before the mot
I am sure I've read somewhere that Redex and other fuel system cleaners / engine cleaners improve emissions at the MOT, but you won't know less you do one test with and one test without it, and they'd both have to be in identical environmental conditions (which is basically impossible in the UK, lol).

I wouldn't worry too much about it, but perhaps run the tank down (if you have time) and fill up with the Shell VPower Diesel stuff - that seems to be well recommended as a good fuel for cleaning the system.

The usual advice for petrol engines that might struggle to pass the MOT is to get the engine and Cat super-hot by going for a fast/hard/long drive before the test - you could also try this approach with your diesel, if you're arriving just before the test and not dropping it off in the morning before going off to work.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Yea give it a good Italian Tune up before it go's in, clear and loose soot and s**t out the exhaust.

You can always tell when someone has been nannying their Diesel around, as soon as they finally put their foot down it kicks out a massive cloud of smoke.

Clio mk2 1.5 dci 80
I am sure I've read somewhere that Redex and other fuel system cleaners / engine cleaners improve emissions at the MOT, but you won't know less you do one test with and one test without it, and they'd both have to be in identical environmental conditions (which is basically impossible in the UK, lol).

I wouldn't worry too much about it, but perhaps run the tank down (if you have time) and fill up with the Shell VPower Diesel stuff - that seems to be well recommended as a good fuel for cleaning the system.

The usual advice for petrol engines that might struggle to pass the MOT is to get the engine and Cat super-hot by going for a fast/hard/long drive before the test - you could also try this approach with your diesel, if you're arriving just before the test and not dropping it off in the morning before going off to work.
I know it helps but i wasnt sure if it helps while its still in the fuel. Ill probably run down what I use and then put a tenner in the tank.
Yea give it a good Italian Tune up before it go's in, clear and loose soot and s**t out the exhaust.

You can always tell when someone has been nannying their Diesel around, as soon as they finally put their foot down it kicks out a massive cloud of smoke.
I dont need to worry about my engine being nannied. I think I floor it a healthy amount xD