ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Motorbike insurance. Cheaper deals?

Ph2 172 MB 77/468
ive been using bike insurer for a couple of years now

used to used carole nash on mutlibike policies also, they were pretty good

Seat Ibiza
Ideal, I've never heard of them

Its always the companies you hear of. Hopefully someone will benefit from it. :)

I'm going to bump this out of complete curiosity.

I've done a few speculative quotes... And I am intrigued to know how much insurance is costing new riders?

Mine are coming out stupidly expensive (well over a grand for third party only), assuming I did a direct access course and opted for a 600cc bike (the sort recommended as a good first sports bike), are there any ways to get cheaper insurance? Or is it a case of opting for a 250-400cc bike to start you off and earn some bike NCD??

For info, 23 yrs old, live at home, work for a leasing company, prospective bike value 2500-3000 ish?, car licence for 6 years with 5 years car NCD...

Basically any light that can be shed on the first bike insurance situation would be welcomed :)

j_b

Clio RS200
I currently own a small collection of bikes, have been riding 5 years, and owned a large number of bikes in that time.

Quotes can be lowered quite significantly through security measures. A recognised brand disk-lock will help- provided you tell the insurer you will take it with you and lock it up whenever it's parked. Datatag (Smart Water) also helps. Garaged, and chained through a ground anchor is also a safe bet. If you am possibly help it, avoid modifications. Most people (including me) fit an exhaust, but it's easy to go nuts. Most insurers unofficially seem to allow up to three mods, but expect to pay more, and don't go over three.

Avoid Swinton. They're a big name, but hopeless and charge a fortune for any changes.

Thanks for the tips... Prices I pulled out were actually with an approved "D Lock" and smartwater marker.

Just wondering if I'm fighting a losing battle in the same way 18 year olds are with first car insurance.

Astra gsi turbo
H&R insurance is who I'm with. Passed test in April this year. 27 dd40 and 3 points. £600 for a yamaha r6. Cheap I think

Mk2 Ph2 172
Well I'm looking to do my all access soon, I'm going to buy an early R6....

Fully comp is about a grand but 3rd party fire and theft is just over 500

Think I might pull my finger out and get it done :)

Astra gsi turbo
How old are you. Seems expensive. I'm 600 fully comp with a conviction and points. Cheaper up here in Scotland maybe

clio

I've done a few speculative quotes... And I am intrigued to know how much insurance is costing new riders?

Mine are coming out stupidly expensive (well over a grand for third party only), assuming I did a direct access course and opted for a 600cc bike (the sort recommended as a good first sports bike), are there any ways to get cheaper insurance? Or is it a case of opting for a 250-400cc bike to start you off and earn some bike NCD??

For info, 23 yrs old, live at home, work for a leasing company, prospective bike value 2500-3000 ish?, car licence for 6 years with 5 years car NCD...

Basically any light that can be shed on the first bike insurance situation would be welcomed :)

Tip: don't get a sports bike for your first . 600 hornets or bandits are the smart choice.

E36 328

Exactly the same boat as me. I was getting quotes of over a grand on things like CBR 600s, and other things - but the Suzuki Bandit 600 came out at £243 and the Yamaha ZX7R came out at £212!!!

Just try loads of different bikes, some that you wouldn't usually try.

clio
Sure, but wick asked about high insurance costs, the way to change it is to change type of
I have just renewed my Cbr6 rr5 for 130 quid , didstart with a hornet - awesome bike and real world not much slower than the cbr but about half the insurance

Mk2 Ph2 172
How old are you. Seems expensive. I'm 600 fully comp with a conviction and points. Cheaper up here in Scotland maybe

I'm 30 matey.... Have ridden bikes over the years but have not got my licence yet...... hence the price I would of thought