ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Motorsport Oil

Hi Guys,

I've got a 54 reg 182 and am going to permenantly have it as a track day car.... I was in Halfords the other day about to buy some 5/40, when i saw a tub labelled "Halfords Motorsport Oil 5/50" at the back of the store..

There were no price tags on it so I got someone to scan it through and it was the same price as the 5/40... so I bought it.

I thought i'd put a thread out to see if anyone has any experience of using this "thicker" viscosity oil....the 50 part means at hotter temperatures the oil stays thicker and coats the moving parts better which sounds perfect for a track car that will be screaming all day!(Someone correct me if i'm wrong)

Should I use this or take it back and get some 5/40?!!

The halfords track day 5w-50 is ok but not as good as they make out, its a modified mineral oil not a true synthetic.

A good quality true synthetic 5w-40 is ideal, we recomend ester based oils for track work such as Silkolene Pro S and the Motul 300v, these will give you around 8 track hours.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk

Cheers

Guy.