ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Moving on from Clio’s

120d Sport

Hi ppl

Just browsing the forum and past posts and it seems most people opt to go down the forced induction route when moving on from their clio valvers, 172,s Cups etc.......on to something like S3s Cupra Rs etc. Find that suprising as I would have thought Clio drivers would be in favour of N/A cars like M3s etc????

Your thoughts?

[Edited by Khany on 09 December 2004 at 3:29pm]

You mean there are other choices apart from Clios????????????????

sh*t why didnt someone tell me grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...........................

[Edited by Smokey on 09 December 2004 at 3:37pm]

120d Sport

bigmoose...after the S3 is chipped do you still get that little delay before the boost kicks when you put your foot down as in a standard S3?

Plus does it maintain boost to the redline and not give up after 6000rpm as in standard mode?

120d Sport

Quote: Originally posted by Iain C on 09 December 2004

dont like bms so that wouldnt be my route.

Forced ind are easy to make faster and dont need wacking great v6 lumps to go fast
Yeah agree you can get big gains for little money with forced induction cars....not the same as the sound of a tuned big lump IMOH.

[Edited by Khany on 09 December 2004 at 3:57pm]

[Edited by Khany on 09 December 2004 at 3:59pm]

TT 225

Not sure why clio drivers would be assumed to prefer n/a cars, clios can be bought cheaply and the sport models go quite well, hence being peoples first or second cars.

As soon as funds allow/people get older/insurance becomes cheaper it opens up a whole other world of options.

I wouldnt choose a BM for my next car either - purely because I dont like them - but I havent ruled out other N/A cars over anything with a turbo or s/c.

Clio 1.6 16v 2003

Quote: Originally posted by Jas on 09 December 2004

Golf R32 for me, but Im keeping a clio as well!
jas have you got an r32 now then? my mate is geting one

goin for a blue one done 11k 53 plate

is it the best buy for 20k? (got to be pratical car too with 3 doors)

Clio 200 Cup packed

had a turbo, had multiple a n/a 4 pots, next will have to be sommit with some serious grunt i reckon...

I think most people want more power when they sell there 172 and since most other cars are heavier you need more power just be be just as quick so 200+hp. Most N/A engined cars dont have this much power so you have to go down the turbo route.

An M3 isnt realy an option as a carry on car if you want a car which is a cheapish jump up from a 172 etc (if you want a newish car with a warently that is).

I moved on to a 111s elise with 190bhp (258hp per ton) awsome performance and handling, seemed the natural step on from my mk1 172 .

Jas

ClioSport Admin
  Maserati Ghibli S

Quote: Originally posted by mr sheep on 09 December 2004

Quote: Originally posted by Jas on 09 December 2004

Golf R32 for me, but Im keeping a clio as well!
jas have you got an r32 now then? my mate is geting one

goin for a blue one done 11k 53 plate

is it the best buy for 20k? (got to be pratical car too with 3 doors)
Yes, I got an R32. I needed a 5-door car and it was the best I could find to fit the bill. IMO its the best 5-door buy for 20k, if I was after 3-door im not sure what id choose, thered be lots more to choose from!

Clio 1.6 16V

Been there, done it, got the T-shirt. I moved from an Audi Coupe S2 Turbo quattro with 280bhp on tap to my present MK2 172. The straight line performance of the Audi was a blistering 5.5 secs to 60, even in the wet but compared to the Clio on the twisties no comparison. I miss the unique noise the old straight 5 cylinder made but just love the responsiveness, handling and eagerness that the 2.0 16V gives. There is more to driving experience than just power! Oh and another thing ... the German Audi rattled and squeaked more than the French 172 !!

Moved onto an S3, and couldnt be happier, felt like a natural transition to a bigger car.

I have noticed the Turbo Lag, but you get used to it.

As for "chipping" the car, Ive considered it, but I dont think its worth the expense, I dont really need a faster car, its fast enough as it is.

Full Fat 182

UncleRogi

As somebody who has come from S3s and TTs to a 182 i would recommend going for the revo free trial. It is well worth the time and you will buy it. Totally changes the car.

BTW, noticed you have gone for imola yellow, were you brave enough to go for the bumble bee interior? I did, it was fantastic except when i wore a new pair of jeans and made it go GREEN!!

chris

R5 Gordini Turbo

Quote: Originally posted by Khany on 09 December 2004
bigmoose...after the S3 is chipped do you still get that little delay before the boost kicks when you put your foot down as in a standard S3?Plus does it maintain boost to the redline and not give up after 6000rpm as in standard mode?

Yes there is turbo lag, but it does kick in at about 2500rpm, and it continues to about 6500rpm, it does tail off at the end of the rev range, you get used to driving it in its power band, wich also means that it never really gets ragged.