ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mpg on the 172 has dropped since new cambelt was fitted

My old man has asked if anyone knows why, basically he used to get about 42 mpg in his standard ff 172. The had the cambelt done a month or so ago & now he's only averaging 33 mpg.

He drives the car in the same way, uses the same fuel etc. Nothing has changed apart from him getting the cambelt done. He reset the computer a few days ago.

Any ideas ?

They probably got the alignment of the valve timing 1 tooth out. Take it back and get them to check. You could check yourself but it's not easy and will involve some dismantling. I can send you the instructions if you private message me your e-mail address.

BMW M135i
I'd say that too, did it once with my old mans mondeo. Only 1 tooth out and didn't really run any different but it didn't half make a difference when we got it spot on again.

CLS, RS MEG
I've noticed this too. I get 32.8 as apposed to an average of 36mpg. Same circumstances. Although it could be down to winter and using the heater and demister more??