ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mpg!

Abarth 500
right, i used to get about 33mpg driving to my old job which was along b roads which i could get up to 70 etc......just started a new job which means me doing city driving, stop start at millions of traffic lights for about 20 mins each morning and night, just looked at my mpg and its 22! wtf!, can it go this low just coz im doing shitloads of city driving???

MK1 - 1.8 8v - RSi
Thats nowt mate

My motor now does a grand total of 17mpg!!!!

HeavyWeight
North Yorkshire Area Rep

BMW M3
I was really suprised by the difference in mine. During the week i do all my driving in town and get about 270 miles to a tank (optimax). Went to Birmingham from Edinburgh over the weekend and managed 350 miles and that was on Esso energy which is probably less efficient. Oh, and i averaged 80mph on the clock so for a lot of the time I was cruising at 90-100mph which in my opionion is blo*dy good fuel consuption for the speed. (On my private M1 of course)

MK1 - 1.8 8v - RSi
yeah i know what you mean i have a private M1 aswell their great arnt they!!!!

Like i said before i get on avaerage 17 mpg and 150 miles from a tank if im lucky, and thats in a 1.4 RT (With a few Minor Moddifications)

Heavyweight

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
heavy weight said:
yeah i know what you mean i have a private M1 aswell their great arnt they!!!!

Like i said before i get on avaerage 17 mpg and 150 miles from a tank if im lucky, and thats in a 1.4 RT (With a few Minor Moddifications)

Heavyweight

Are you stuck in traffic with it idling all the time? Or is the car fucked or just a heavy heavy right foot cos that its shockingly crap for a 1.4!

MK1 - 1.8 8v - RSi
To Be honest its a mix of stuck in traffic and normalk driving but i dont get much better on the motorway runs!!!

I have 150MM cold air intake feeds on the engine and the induction kit, so it sucks fuel and goes like the clappers, plus i have a head gaskett problem at the moment.

Have a look at the pics of my engine bay in the COTY section on the site and you will see what i mean, i suppose you could say its not really a 1.4 anymore!!!!

But your right it is very Poor!!

Heavyweight

MR2 2.0 N/A & Mk1 1.2Clio
i get about 30-32ish mpg on my 1.2 8v no mods, bit of dual carrigeway on way to uni, not stuck in traffic that much

RenaultClio 1.2 16V Dyn
Just about to fill my tank up for the first time as ive only had my new clio, 1.2 16V for nearly a week and its doin 48mpg and ive done about 350 miles which about 200 of that are motorway and the rest is county lane driving.

al

ST on the way...
Get about 35 out of my 1.6 in summer (with aircon on) and getting about 38 at the moment goin to work, some heavy traffic and open 60 roads, occasional heavy right foot :D

al

ST on the way...
Get about 400 from a tank, my mates 172 does about 30mpg on short open runs

Abarth 500
balls..........not just me then.....still my new job is much closer so in the big scheme of things ive saving fuel

al

ST on the way...
You could always buy a......erghmm......diesel, but then you'd spend more on headache tablets from the constant rattle!!

clio 1.2 16v,??
almarsden said:
You could always buy a......erghmm......diesel, but then you'd spend more on headache tablets from the constant rattle!!

lol i thought the diesels were quite quitet nowdays, (newish ones) i was gunna get one for mpg side of things but i just couldnt bring myself to get a diesel, dunno why.

RenaultSport clio 18
After 600 miles only, I am averaging already 33, mixture of M25 and cross country on my 182. Runs on optimax. That's already 3mpg than my 1.8 scenic with a/c!

Still, a bit of a come down from the 40mpg I get from my 106GTI on the same journey!

R35 GTR
I used to get over 50 in my 1.2 now I get consistent 30 round town, climbs to 33 on motorways.

Got air filter and remap, which may have helped, as it was running rich in areas.

RenaultSport clio 18
stonking mpg, started to get the improvement from 36mpg when I switched to optimax, helps pay for itself! Hope I see similar improvements in the 182! The Gti's up for sale if you kow of anybody who can't quite manage the cost of the clio!

Yaris Hybrid
33 for me at the moment in heavy traffic and with lots of AC etc.

In the summer I was getting high 34's. I find it doesn't vary much in relation to my driving style. For a laugh once I tried going for economy as I used to get 55 out of my 1.2 but I could only just get 37 out of the 182 so figured what the hell I might as well just drive it normally.

Diesels do make more noise at idle but modern disels are remarkably quiet when there moving.
Even with a lead foot I still get 55mpg out of my car (65hp dci).
Compare that with my Williams which would get about 32 on the same route thats a fair increase.

MKIII 138
i get 38.5 out of my cup with no back seats but i havent seen less with town. going fast or motorway than that, i did a quick trial for one week in my cup with no back seats super feather light and always in 5th gear as much as is required..

on the clock physically not being able to get any higher over a 200mile run 47.5mpg !!

sure i had to sacrifise the point of owning a fast petrol but if my cars gets mapped il see another 2mpg on top of that (unless my hillpower takes that away lol)

I was a bit worried because I used to get around 33-34mpg when the car was new but since doing two trackdays have only been getting about 29-30mpg on the same roads as before. But I have done a test by driving really conservatively since I last filled up and am now getting 34-35mpg - so it was obviously me and not the car!

Black/Gold 182
are all these mpgs's everyone mentions from the trip computer, or by actually working it out?

I find the mpg from my trip computer doesn't match up with the miles (from speedo) divided by litres (converted to gals) from the pump. Trip computer reads 2 mpg different (so 34 mpg is more like 32 mpg)

always work mine out after i've filled up.
normally 30-33mpg. if i've been on a long run it usually averages out to be 36mpg.

Black/Gold 182
Jim172CUP - so do your calcs match up with what the trip computer says, or do you see a difference like me?

i find that if you zero the trip after 200miles or so then it reads accurate. if you leave it then it it's not reading true.