ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MTB Wales trip

ICE'dberg MK2 172
Here are my pics of the trip... only the Saturday as my bike had a little mishap and I had to miss the Sunday......

Enjoy...

th_f3eeb8c7.jpg

th_PICT2346.jpg

th_PICT2345.jpg

th_PICT2344.jpg

th_PICT2343.jpg

th_PICT2341.jpg

th_PICT2340.jpg

th_PICT2339.jpg

th_PICT2338.jpg

th_PICT2337.jpg

th_PICT2336.jpg

th_PICT2332.jpg

th_PICT2331.jpg

th_PICT2326.jpg

th_PICT2335.jpg

th_PICT2334.jpg

th_PICT2333.jpg

th_PICT2330.jpg

th_PICT2329.jpg

th_PICT2328.jpg

Breaking news.....
th_PICT2341.jpg

Clio drivers in Wales fed up with reliability issues have taken to carrying bikes with them when taking a trip to the local Spar shop "just in case".

:lolup:

ICE'dberg MK2 172
jzr said:
were abouts in wales did u go mate

Coed y Brenin.... MBR, Red Bull and Karimoor trails...
Betwys y Coed...Marin Trail... not all of us tho'... my bike broke :eek:(

tiTTy & SV650
Chris' rear shock was losing air, bit of a pain but I'm sure Specialized will warranty it no hassle.

mk1 RT
just got back

i had fun even though i was going slowly (must get into training for a possible next time)
my brakes are now metal to metal thanks to the downhill from the marin that was great fun

tiTTy & SV650
To be fair on the other guys the routes we did were all recommended for 'experienced mountain bikers' I felt out of my depth on some of the downhill stuff too but I'm more intermediate than experienced lol.

Good laugh though.

R35 GTR
I'm a complete novice, but just went for it. :) I was impressed with my bike, better than i thought. acquired from halfrauds too, so quite surprised.

tiTTy & SV650
chris172 said:

how fcuking ghey is my pose in this picture lol! :eek:

ICE'dberg MK2 172
geoff_clio182 said:
Looks like you guys had a good trip...gutted I missed it.

Chris what happened?

Fell off 3 times.....Bruised hand - fall 1..... Cut my face eating the ground with blood everywhere - fall2 ..... Bramble scratches to both legs after a 360 pirouette into the bushes - fall 3 ...............Had a GREAT time tho'!!!!!

Oh and my rear shock went limp dick on me...Grrr!!!!

Who's is the s-works enduro?? and was the 5th element shock you had probs with?? Just wondered had mine for about 6 months and I'm sure the floting piston has never worked properly. Anyway broke my hand and had 12 stiches in the other arm after last sats ride so cant ride or drive at the mo.....deep joy

E87 118i
how are the roof racks, would have loved to get a set for my car (to replace the towbar mounted rack) but always have been weary they would fly off.....

tiTTy & SV650
thule roofrack is superb, very stable me and ally drove down from Falkirk, i.e. 6 hours drive at 75+ and it was no prob, i then drove the hour home hitting 100 with mine on my roof, no hassle!

yup it was the 5th element that was leaking, seal issue - prob pumped up in the wrong order at some point in its life. Cant get the staff these days! lol

Fabia vRS
I'm thinkin of getting a rack for taking my bikes, not sure whether to go the harmony roof bar route from Renault, as I thought the Thule bars needed some extra clamp to fit the 3-doors, seems like I was wrong though having seen the pics, any Thule part no's and prices??

Bikes and cars look quality!!

R35 GTR
goto www.skidrive.co.uk

Ally recommended them to me, cost £208 for aerobars, and 2 carriers, plus all fitting kit and locks for everything.

jonnybad said:
I'm thinkin of getting a rack for taking my bikes, not sure whether to go the harmony roof bar route from Renault, as I thought the Thule bars needed some extra clamp to fit the 3-doors, seems like I was wrong though having seen the pics, any Thule part no's and prices??

ICE'dberg MK2 172
THutch said:
Who's is the s-works enduro?? and was the 5th element shock you had probs with?? Just wondered had mine for about 6 months and I'm sure the floting piston has never worked properly. Anyway broke my hand and had 12 stiches in the other arm after last sats ride so cant ride or drive at the mo.....deep joy

Yeah...5th Element, wih Specialized branding. Not sure what the difference is tho'

It's going back to the shop tomorrow.

tiTTy & SV650
jonnybad said:

Thule works like this:

Footpack - part which attaches to car, and the roof bars attach on to.
Kit - the specific kit required for the car model to mount the footpack onto the car
roofbars - the bars across the car themselves
bike carrier - mounts onto the roofbars
lock set - to lock the roofrack to the car

Note that with the 591 carrier, every part is locked and secure - not so with cheaper carriers.

go for 750 footpack (rrp £55), 591 bike carrier(s) (rrp £80 each), 861 aerobars (rrp £60) and 544 lock set (rrp £16). It's well worth the money, great kit use skidrive as dave says, much cheaper and i think locks are thrown in?

Last edited:
  ICE'dberg MK2 172
Definately recommend them .... and the bikes are still there after an 80mph blast through those Nth Wales twisties...heheheh!!!

Great weekend! I've got to be honest - I loved those trails, just the right amount of climbing (ha ha!) and descending, although the Red Bull was a bit on the boring side - the Karrimor and Marin were much more my style (if you can call it that...). Highlight for me was chasing those 2 nutters down the final descent of the Marin trail - loads of jumps and rocky descents. I got to the bottom and they thought I was a local because of how quickly I caught 'em up :).

More details of what we rode here: http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=31625&page=15&pp=20

Took loads of pics - best ones are here: http://photobucket.com/albums/y99/allygmitchell/Cliosport MTB Wales Oct 2005/

ICE'dberg MK2 172
Nice pics Ally, and very arty too ... you've done this before me thinks...LOL!!!!

My 'wound' looked just like a scratch ... but boy did it gush!!

Post the others too... the Marin looked good...bummer i missed it.

The MBR was a lot better in my opinion, and Rory's I think, than the Red Bull... at least I didn't fall off...LOL!!!!!!!!!!!

chris172 said:
Yeah...5th Element, wih Specialized branding. Not sure what the difference is tho'

It's going back to the shop tomorrow.

hmmm think I’m going to send mine back while I’m off the bike, Specialized have been good on other warranty issue’s for me so hope you get it sorted (only difference in the shock is the size of the chamber being oversized, 5th have rep for leaking though which I guess may be one of the reasons they have swapped to fox for 06’)

I never fancied spending the cash on roof bars so I just whip the back seat out to turn it into a 182 van and use cheap bike bags so the car doesn’t get trashed, means there’s no worries of them falling off (when your enjoying the class roads round lake bala!)

If any of you guys fancy a biking holiday in some big ass mountains I can really recommend a set up in les arc in France run by 2 of my mates…. Chairlifts up – downhill all day!!! I can send you a link if your interested

tiTTy & SV650
chris172 said:
The MBR was a lot better in my opinion, and Rory's I think, than the Red Bull... at least I didn't fall off...LOL!!!!!!!!!!!

Yup the MBR route was good, I'll need to try karrimor if i'm ever there again. Marin was a fantastic route too.

ICE'dberg MK2 172
Shock and bike are in the shop.... took a bit of persuading but they are going to send it off for a preliminary check.

I'll keep you posted.

Staff gave a wry smile for my scarface....LOL!!!! Tried on some fullface but they felt really cumbersome. Liked Ally's parachute tho'.... must keep a look out on Ebay...new only of course!!!

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
looked like a brill weekend, shame i couldn't come in the end....although i did spend my sunday in south wales at cwmcarn

a purpose built dragon and nps series downhill track....lifts up and ride down all day
except i bent a hope brake lever in half and then cracked my helmet in half after hitting a wooden post....lol

it was a met parachute like the chaps in the pic on the first page

mk1 RT
good luck getting the bike sorted chris, you would have enjoyed the marin i know i did (appart from the up hill)

R35 GTR
Take a jump to the left!
And then a step to the righhhhhttt
put your hands on your hips
and bend your knees in tight
do pelvic thrusts, that really drive you insaaaannnnnee

LETS DO THE TIMEWARP AGAIN!!!!!!

LETS DO THE TIMEWARP AGAIN!!!!!!