ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

mum put her ipod through the wash, can it be saved?

Golf GTI 1.8T
her lil nano spent a good hour in there and has been drying out in the garden today but it still wont turn on. we cant work out how to open the darn thing...HELP!

cheers

afraid its probably dead, if you can get it open (look on internet for battery replacement) and rinse it with demineralised water the you might be able to save it. dont know where you will get the demin water from thou

SLK 350
Best chance is just give it time in the heat, i've had two mobile phones survive swimming pools/toilet and they lived to tell the tail.

Overnight in an airing cupboard + hair dryer + sun and it might be ok. They don't have any moving parts, so once the water has disapated it may come back to life.

Might also need a hard reset.

Chance? 50/50 tbh.

edit

Car battery water = deionised and demineralised.

Golf GTI 1.8T
^ yeh i've had a few moblys recovered after a night in the airing cupboard. ill see if we can get it open and do that, dont think its getting enough air to it all closed up.

ALBI 197 Sonic MKII
I spilt a can of coke all down the inside of my PC while it was on (I leave my case open for switching hard drives). Switched it off straight away, dried the motherboard and cards, worked fine. The only thing I had grieve with was the Hard Drive, seems like the coke was heating up, gwetting sticky and jaming the disks. Soaked it in 110% alcohol, left it for a week. Brand spanking new.

lol. mitch im going to APPLE store this weekend to drop my ipod to them to get fixed, if ya want, drop it to me,and ill take it to them to get looked at

MR2 2.0 N/A & Mk1 1.2Clio
SoA2k6 said:
...Soaked it in 110% alcohol, left it for a week. Brand spanking new.
how can something be 110% alcohol? lol

with electronics that are wet first thing you should do is disconnect the battery.
open it up anyway you can and dry it with gentle heat. use a cotton bud to get rid off excess water and rinse it with dem. water as said before.

most things can be saved if you do this quick enough and if you can open them, proved loads of times!

Golf GTI 1.8T
mum tried to open it but bent the metal and got upset. then I went out and left her too it so dunno if she got anywhere.

Leon Cupra R 225
NEVER let mums near the mp3 player, never. Had this happen to my old 256mb mpman, after a week of owning it aswell its a bit disappointing.... :(

Golf GTI 1.8T
^ its her iPod so I can hardly keep it away from her lol. f**k knows why it was in her clothes anyway.

RB 182
Dunno about the Nano but the iPOD has a hard drive so you probably won't get much luck. Saying that the Nano is much smaller so probably has storage like USB pen drive.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
what you need is an ultrasonic cleaner.

it used for water damaged mobiles phones, ones the phone is dryed put it in the ultrasonic cleaner and it helps get the dryed water off the circut board

the thing you SHOULDNT do is try and turn it on "just to see if it works" straight after... this is when the damage is done due to it not being dry.

you should allow it to dry completely before attempting to turn it on.

from the sounds of it, you've broken it by turning it on too quickly when it was still wet.

www.renparts.co.uk
ive got an ultrasonic cleaner. If you get it open to reveal the circuit board. I don't mind doing it for you FOC providing you cover postage. Ive done countless mobiles for my mates etc.
thanks
josh