ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MX5 Number 2.

CBR1K, F21 125D
Nice.

Looks Comfy.

2nd hand wishbones must be 30p? Contact Ninja motors on mx5 nutz, he must have billions.

I've already got a spare wishbone, that's not the issue. We can't separate the wishbones from the hubs, and we can't separate the hubs from the driveshafts due to rounded hub bolts. And I can only use the driveshaft that's on the chopped up wishbone due to the diff.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Awesome work mate, had a skim last night about to read through and catch up.

You still got the hub nut issue or is that solved? If it really does persist, grind two sides dead flat then wang a nice big spanner on it.

I've just decided to get someone to weld up the wishbone. It's a relatively simple repair and I trust he can do a good job having already done the sills on this shell (and they're f**king immaculate. Seriously, looks factory fresh!)

Also while he's doing the wishbone I'm going to ask very nicely and see if he can 'alter' my straight pipe slightly. I've got the mini-skirt bumper, so the exhaust I've got now looks a bit boring tbh!

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Hmmm, I'd get that hub nut sorted too whilst it's at the welder then mate, get him to weld a nut to it or similar so you can wind it off.

Why aren't you going to use the original plates? What did I miss?

Just read right through, great work!

It'd be massively illegal to have J801 CAU on this shell because the chassis numbers wouldn't match up on the log book. It's a 5 year ban IIRC and I imagine there a hefty fine, despite me having no bad intentions its still seen as fraud afaik. So it'll be getting R759 ACK and I'll just declare an engine change :)

And yeah, you're right about the hub nut issue - but I'm into my third week of getting the bus to work (which has turned a 20 minute journey in the car to a 2 hour journey by foot/on the bus) so I just want to get it back on the road ASAP tbh.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Can you not just swap the chassis numbers? I mean, it's more your old car than it is rack?

Engine changes normally = dolla no?

You've got some balls doing that kinda journey by public transport mate, sod that.

I think switching chassis numbers is even more illegal than running false plates Rob! I've thought about it, but for the sake of a couple of hundred quid I'd rather be nice and legal than just chance it and potentially get pulled by an anal copper who's having a bad day... Plus all that noise from the exhaust is only ever going to draw more attention!

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Dude, seriously, it's no different to swapping panels about. If you officially scrap RACK, then swap the chassis from one to another I'm sure you'd be fine. Are they removable plates on them? If so, crack on.

Drill out whatever, rivet it back on, cover your hands in grease and s**t, and smear that over the new one when it's in place. It'll look mint.

Stamped into the firewall, otherwise it'd be very simple!
I've already talked with the NW lot about it a lot (and they're all massive pikeys at the best of times lolHai) we reckon considering the amount of time and money I've put into it (easily spent more than what I bought it for on it) its just not worth risking anything like that!

If I crash it (not unlikely due to the LSD, 185 section tyres that are beyond the wear markers and me thinking I'm Keiichi Tsuchiya) that's it, big trouble! No license, car most likely crushed etc... Its not something I even want to entertain!

I totally hear what Rob is saying tbh, the chances are a million to one, and even if you did get checked, it would probably pass off as legit anyway.

Having said that, a million to one, does leave a chance, and in Manchester, that chance is still reasonably high, if I was in Joe's shoes and hobo gloves, I would also be doing it the correct way.

Just not worth it round our way.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Yeah fair enough, I suppose there's too many dodgy types in the north for it to be unheard of. Around here I could write it in marker pen and the old bill would think it's fine.

I totally hear what Rob is saying tbh, the chances are a million to one, and even if you did get checked, it would probably pass off as legit anyway.

Having said that, a million to one, does leave a chance, and in Manchester, that chance is still reasonably high, if I was in Joe's shoes and hobo gloves, I would also be doing it the correct way.

Just not worth it round our way.

*Mittens.

I was s**ting my arse out when Chester police rolled up to our RR day meet. My car is at its absolute loudest doing a cold start, and they weren't ever leaving before us! Thankfully they took a disliking to Matt's car, but Christ it had me worried! And that's with a legit car. LOL.

Yeah fair enough, I suppose there's too many dodgy types in the north for it to be unheard of. Around here I could write it in marker pen and the old bill would think it's fine.

FLOL. That's the only bad part of living at the more pikey end of the country...

I will do, but I'm driving to work for a week or two first. F**king piss wet through. Finished at 7.30 this morning and I've only just walked through my front door. It's a joke! And I stood in dog s**t on my way home yesterday. Unbelievable.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Stamped into the firewall, otherwise it'd be very simple!
I've already talked with the NW lot about it a lot (and they're all massive pikeys at the best of times lolHai) we reckon considering the amount of time and money I've put into it (easily spent more than what I bought it for on it) its just not worth risking anything like that!

If I crash it (not unlikely due to the LSD, 185 section tyres that are beyond the wear markers and me thinking I'm Keiichi Tsuchiya) that's it, big trouble! No license, car most likely crushed etc... Its not something I even want to entertain!

Once Eddie pulls his finger out and and learns to weld he can weld over the stamp in the firewall, paint over it, and ill stamp the new/old chassis number back on for you :)

IMAG0184.jpg

IMAG0188.jpg

IMAG0189.jpg

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
What does this hub nut look like? You always give up to easy with things like this!

I bet with a smaller socket and an impact driver you'd wang it off easy. Just last week we had a t30 round off, then it rounded off an allen key we smacked in, then we really manned up and smashed a t50 or something in, tried again, and bobs your mothers brother.

I concur with the smashing technique.

I have a load of spare sockets I use/sacrifice for this.

If something won't come off, find the next size down and pound it on like your getting a Lancashireman off you're gran.

Well that's the thing, I've had nothing anywhere near the right size to even have a go with. And it's round. Like properly round - not just 'oh the corners have gone a bit, I can't do it'.