ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MX5 Number 2.

Joe, you are mental. I mean that in the best way possible!

Thank you! LOL.
Well, J801 CAU made its last journey tonight. Tomorrow the engine will come out and into RACK and we'll hopefully get most of the loom swapped over... Might even be able to fire it up! Should take a week or so to complete, hopefully. Better get used to the bus.

Last edited:
Thank you! LOL.
Well, J801 CAU made its last journey tonight. Tomorrow the engine will come out and into RACK and we'll hopefully get most of the loom swapped over... Might even be able to fire it up! Should take a week or so to complete, hopefully. Better get used to the bus.

I had wondered how you were getting about. Just thought you had taken some time off work to get it done.

It's getting there! I just wish the weather was a bit nicer for you :(

If you do need any more help, just give me a shout. I can at least do a run about buying nuts/bolts ;)

Cheers Jon! Having a break from it today, I think Seb and his family must be sick of me by now! LOL

Few photos anyway:
RACK started out on Thursday looking like this,

IMAG0122.jpg

We split the engine and gearbox out of my car and added a 1.8 flywheel and Exedy clutch (quite a bit larger than the 1.6 item), and then the stiff engine mounts were fitted. We've located the engine mounts, but still haven't got round to attaching the gearbox or PPF bracket - so the engine looks like it's sunk at the rear currently.

The engine loom is completely connected now, but I've hit setbacks - the rear interior loom/indicator stalks/battery loom are all different from 1.6 to 1.8, so I've had to mess around changing those. But once all the rear end is connected up and we've found all the earths, it should just fire up!

Now my old car looks like this:

IMAG0133.jpg

And RACK looks like a car again!

IMAG0134.jpg

IMAG0126.jpg

IMAG0127.jpg

IMAG0131.jpg

IMAG0128.jpg

(Thanks Turner...)

IMAG0129.jpg

Slightly broken NRG snap off I've pinched. Ta Seb.

IMAG0132.jpg

That's all for now. It's getting there... Kind of.

Yeah, its got a little bit of strike through on his bonnet.

Annoying about the loom, is it interchangeable or is it going to need cutting and sleeving together? RACK is BACK!

Not today, no. Only got 4 hours sleep yesterday and it's pissing it down!

Jon, I'm just completely replacing it all - so there's going to be nothing to chop. It'll just be my complete 1.6 loom, basically.

Ah right. So the the loom does fit into sebs shell, its just different?

Don't blame you not working on it today, its raining. Playing with the loom in the rain = badtimes.

Yeah, it all fits - it's just finding it all that's a pain. I thought I had it all yesterday, then found a connector and it went all the way into the boot and fuel tank - replaced that, found another connector going to the battery... So once I've found and replaced it all it should be fine tbh

Will do Chris! We'll have it fired up soon, I'm sure.

Good stuff Joe. Shant be long now.

+1

LOL!!!!!!111

Guess this is due an update...

It's pretty much 90% completed now, engine works (after a lot of effort! Took a good few days to find a dodgey earth and a different relay in the fuse box :eek:), all the electrics work (other than the wipers - 10 minute job) Gearbox & diff mounted, interior completed, all the brakes and suspension fitted apart from one corner which is what's stopping me getting it back on the road. Basically, to remove the old HSD's Seb had to chop out part of a rear wishbone and now we need to use it because it can't be removed from the hub. This wouldn't normally be a problem, but the hub nut is rounded beyond recognition so we can't remove the driveshaft which I will be needing. To rectify this, I'm just going to have the wishbone repaired by a very reputable welder and that's all I'm waiting on now!
Anyway, here's some pictures. Ignore the plates, I've yet to change my insurance etc but it WILL be done and I'll be using RACK's plate as it's a different car!

IMAG0197.jpg

IMAG0199.jpg

IMAG0198.jpg

IMAG0200.jpg

Also have plans for a bit of a different exhaust (Well, tip anyway), but I'm trying to keep it a secret.

So almost ready to go!

Spec List is now as follows:

Mazda B6ZE-RS engine
1.8 MX5 Exedy clutch and flywheel
Stiffened engine mounts
Torsen LSD (unsure on the ratio)
Non-power steering rack
Polybushed front lower wishbones
1.8 Chassis bracing throughout
GwizTEC Straight pipe
Dash chop & stripped interior
Snap-off NRG boss
Mini-skirt spec rear bumper (yet to be painted)
TR-Lane door bars
HKS Hiper-D coilovers
Eunos Roadster 14x6 BBS wheels.