ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MX5 Number 2.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I'm so damn lost now it's untrue.

You're reshelling the whole thing, but have just bought a new numberplate for the old car that you're not going to have soon?

I'm so damn lost now it's untrue.

You're reshelling the whole thing, but have just bought a new numberplate for the old car that you're not going to have soon?

Yeah. I'd bought that before I decided on what I was doing really. Might as well get some use out of it though... FFS.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
because rally car?

fd1acde79130f24796a5008a8a8bc70e.jpg

Last edited:
Okay, big things are happening tomorrow. It's coming off the road for the last time, engine and gearbox are being taken out then on Thursday I'll hopefully get them in RACK... I've made a chopped dash too, which I absolutely love! I've been umming and ahhing about whether or not to keep the heater, but I think for winter it might be wise to keep it in for now considering it's still a daily. Carpets are being taken out, manual winding windows are being chosen over the electric ones, and most of the door cars are being removed. Then I just need a driveshaft, and it should be complete!
Phone picture of the chopped dash (still in my old shell, so there's still carpet etc):

169488_10151285539096388_1811821349_o.jpg

I did take part in the NW EFI rolling road day on Sunday, just to see if I'd lost or gained any power and to my surprise I'd gained a whole horsepower and a half. Rolled 120.5bhp and 109.5lb-ft which is excellent considering the 115bhp book figure. (Accurate RR too, Chris' 200 ran 187, and 1*2's were running 160-175ish).

8117349553_aee14408df_c.jpg

MX5 RR2 by joe.drewery, on Flickr

Compared to last time:

7672702632_5b168daf41_c.jpg

MX5 ATF by j0eyD, on Flickr

Pleased. Not exactly a smooth curve, but meh. It's got a straight pipe, I'm not expecting miracles!
This might not get updated again for a few days, as I'm going to be ridiculously busy - but s**t is​ getting done.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Please don't go s**t spec on the windows etc, there's just no need. And no carpets? Again, why bother?

How much do you think an electric motor for the window weighs? That's like not taking your phone or any coins out with you ffs.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Please don't go s**t spec on the windows etc, there's just no need. And no carpets? Again, why bother?

How much do you think an electric motor for the window weighs? That's like not taking your phone or any coins out with you ffs.

If you're doing it, you might as well do it properly. It's not exactly the model of luxury right now, what difference are some electric windows and carpet going to make? Not much. Although keeping the heater is a good idea...

Also, the carpet weighs a decent amount. I was pretty surprised.

Plus, it's his car.

CBR1K, F21 125D
To be fair the electric windows are s**te in Mk1', unless you have whole new runners etc anyway, or at least good condition cleaned ones.

The heaviest part of the mx are the seats, ac, sound deadening behind the seats, and the softtop and maybe electric wing mirrors.

Other than that, not much more you can do with a road car. Unless you go full dinlo and use titanium bolts etc.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
If you're doing it, you might as well do it properly. It's not exactly the model of luxury right now, what difference are some electric windows and carpet going to make? Not much. Although keeping the heater is a good idea...

Also, the carpet weighs a decent amount. I was pretty surprised.

Plus, it's his car.

Just seems crazy.

Honestly, he's not racing it, what difference is the carpet going to make?? Is he going to drive around with a 1/8th tank of fuel all the time to get the best power to weight?

I just don't get making your car worse for no real gains is all. Having it silly low looks cool etc. But not having a carpet just gives you a s**t wet floor all winter etc.. If the electric windows are pony anyway, then it's no real loss, but running it with no carpet is just mental to me.

If I wanted it to be quicker, I'd have just left the old 1.8 in it. But its not about that.
The experience of driving it and having every sense absolutely battered is more fun than laptimes. IMO.

Plus with no sound deadening, it will only increase the exhaust volume that enters the cabin.

Which, by CS maths is 29% better than having less exhaust volume in the cabin.

You looking at getting a cage at somepoint Joe?

Yes, quite a thorough one ideally!

I can't see any other reason for not putting a carpet in????

I'm not having a dig, I just don't get it?

I tell you what, I'll let you have a drive of it at CSS or something next year and you can see for yourself! Just go out, give it absolute death and if you don't come back laughing or deaf, then I've failed.
It's not a car you drive with a serious face on...
Carpets are just personal preference. I like the way it looks without them. That's pretty much it!