ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My 172 Cup exploded!!!

E92 330
similar thing happened to me i was told my crankshaft was knackered, that cost me £650 aprox to fit, but it sounds like ur pretty much sorted with a diagnosis now though!

FTO GPX Mivec
yeah, just getting quotes now from differing places, not looking good! think it may be better to sell to some one who can simply replace engine and get it going. cut my losses and all that, will be a bargin for someone, financial circumstance dictating on this one :( gonna get a banged up metro + tax + Mot powerd by 6x9's :(

M2 Competition
If you have a 4 year warranty with the car, and the car is unmodified, surely you can get the garage to pay for it?

Have you contacted the warranty company?

Saxo VTS
I can't believe the vultures on here!

If it's as nice as you say and to save losing money and/or claiming on insurance, why not try to source a new engine? The F4R used in your car was made for 6-7 years so chances are there will be a few floating about. Then you need to find a friendly garage or a mate who can use some spanners and you can get the beast back on the road.

If you sell the whole car that's exactly what someone else will do.

FTO GPX Mivec
aye finch, nope the warrenty was provided by the delaership (independant) its just Sounds ace on papper but worth fluff all in real life kinda thing, basically the 3rd party warrenty will cover for the damge on the engine but only upto the sum of £500 afterwards i have to find the remaining. they chucked it in when i brought the car.

Car is an 02plate but brought from independant 2nd hand at the very end of December 06 so basicaly its only 11ish months old from my ownership. when i got it back to them this morning the pushed it into a lot and said they will contact me in a couple of days time when they stripped it down. didnt even offer a curtesy car. :(

172 ph1
OK so the warranty is rubbish, but is should cover the labour easily.

All you got to do is get an engine, so it should only cost you £600.

porsche 944 - 80's ftw!
OK so the warranty is rubbish, but is should cover the labour easily.

All you got to do is get an engine, so it should only cost you £600.

As above m8.

A replacement engine from a renault breakers should be around £500 - £600 for a good low mileage one then removal and fitting of the new engine another £500 ish.

DO NOT PAY MORE THAN THAT!!!

Saxo VTS
Well there you go then, £600 max for a nice low miles engine and hopefuly the warranty will cover the labour. Job done!

FTO GPX Mivec
missing it loads already, may not be the fastest thing on the road but its sure one of the most fun.

Sunburn

Sod the warrenty, no warrenty is worth a penny!

Go statutory rights :)

Viist your local CAB and explain all. It is not reasonable to expect a car to go bang in less than a year unless its a £500 heap, which obviously it wasn't.

The dealership are legally responsible for most of teh repair costs.

FTO GPX Mivec
do you think i have type of claim then? i really cant afford this to be a long drawn out process of whos responsible and who isnt, i need to be back on the road with my car asap. job depends on it.

mutiple
i would contact trading standards as already mentioned it is not fit for purpose or expected from this age/mileage of car. i would aim at dealership but also renault themselves as might have been a week rod or shells that were never right and after time have siezed/ or worn.
i had a problem a good few years back with a £12,000 impreza which was un reliable and i managed to get full refund on price

m-tec bmw 325 ci spo
you wont get renault t pay out i had an engine in my 172 only did 7k the piston ring failed it had warrnty but they refuse to pay out the only way they would is if i took them to court and that would cost me more than a replacement engine

2016 Audi RS3
you wont get renault t pay out i had an engine in my 172 only did 7k the piston ring failed it had warrnty but they refuse to pay out the only way they would is if i took them to court and that would cost me more than a replacement engine

Small claims court if the value of your claim is <£5k.

FTO GPX Mivec
Well, unfortunately, like most people my job depends on me being able to get to work, and going down the small claims route will simply take too much time. therefore, i have managed to source a replacement engine which is 27k compared to my current 56-7k one.

Hoping to be back driving again by the end of the week, fingers crossed.

Thinking back to the night it happend, I feel quite lucky on reflection, it could have been a lot worse.

Clio 172 mk2
Very true...sounds like you got away lightly without having an accident.

Good luck getting it sorted....dropping a new lump in shouldn't be too much of a ball ace

FTO GPX Mivec
My question is now, when i get the clio back should i sell up? im really worried about the above happening again, its not like i raced my clio at every opportunity but on the same token I did enjoy from time to time putting my foot down, at what stage of driving hard does it become damaging to the engine, conrods and crank? I assume the 172cup has some form of engine protection which would cut in if you went over the redline?? I have read many times on these boards that the clios are good to be driven hard.

Typically i never take the revs over 3k until the engine is at proper temp so what i find more gutting is where i live there are a lot of kiddies who have pugs,novas,polos etc that hammer each and every gear constantly night after night after night yet their engines never give out like mine did.

Was i simply unlucky?

opinions welcome.

My question is now, when i get the clio back should i sell up? im really worried about the above happening again, its not like i raced my clio at every opportunity but on the same token I did enjoy from time to time putting my foot down, at what stage of driving hard does it become damaging to the engine, conrods and crank? I assume the 172cup has some form of engine protection which would cut in if you went over the redline?? I have read many times on these boards that the clios are good to be driven hard.

Typically i never take the revs over 3k until the engine is at proper temp so what i find more gutting is where i live there are a lot of kiddies who have pugs,novas,polos etc that hammer each and every gear constantly night after night after night yet their engines never give out like mine did.

Was i simply unlucky?

opinions welcome.

Think you've just been unlucky tbh. I had a 172 for 3 yrs, and now a 182, and they are driven pretty hard imo. Once the oil is warmed up, after pootling round for ten or so mins, the car has its legs stetched to 7k most days. All my cars have 6k oil changes, and never want for anything. The engines are generally bullet proof imo

FTO GPX Mivec
Cheers lee,

Think it will be a while before i open her up again once i got her back though.
Will be like driving miss daisy!

Clio Mk1 Hybrid
Bloke i was having a play with in a 182 cup a while ago completley destroyed his engine when the clutch exploded! took the engine block, gearbox and the radiator out at least! had done 40k i think, he was a little upset to say the least!!
If not only getting beat by a 14 year old clio was enough embarrasment for him!!

Dave

FTO GPX Mivec
Cheers guys, cant wait to get my car back now, should almost be like new, the replacement engine done 27k, will have new clutch and all the other gubbin's.

P

PrincessJessica

your warranty should have you covered as its a part of the engine which most none franchise warranties cover ie Car Protect.

if its covered thats good but if not fight it. you dont expect to buy a car for a conrod to break free, sale of goods act and all that.

let us know how you get on

FTO GPX Mivec
cheers paul, yeah making some positive progress now, really looking forward to getting her back, will be taking her out for a spin as soon as possible. All being well i wont have this problem ever again.

Ultra 197 ex 172 Cup
might as well get the cambelt changed b4 they fit the replacement engine, as the replacement you got will probably be 5 years old, or you won't know, so safer and cheaper to do this now.

FTO GPX Mivec
yep already sorted that alex :) s**t thing is i had the belts changed in april twice in one year thats unheard ov :):(