ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My 56 Plate 1.2 Campus Sport DIED.

Honda. Tesla Someday
Hello all,

What a night.

I work two jobs - (full time at BT and part time Currys - both everyday), and today after a tiring day I was dropping a couple of girls home. Dropped one off and was on my way to drop the other...

My engine began to shudder, the whole car started to act VERY weird!

I would put my foot down on the accelerator and it would make a chugging like sound, and it stank like sulphur!

A light began to flash on my dash, was orange, on the right hand side - looked like a tap!

Anyways, pulled over! engine cut out!

Started her up again, it was idling strange, up and down between 0 and 1.

Then I remembered - my RAC cover hadnt been renewed!!

Called a bunch of mates, they came to the car and called the RAC. RAC dude came and started it with jump leads - the battery had died in the meantime.

He then plugged the computer in and it said misfiring and fuel overload or something!

He said only 2 of my spark plugs seem to be firing... and I am running 2 cylinder instead of 4. So its misfiring and burning fuel etc!

Thing is, was meant to be going away for Valentines, everything is booked and I cant go now!

ALSO I work 2 jobs everyday, so I am now screwed with that!!!!

I NEED this sorted ASAP..

RAC dude said it seems to be the COIL PACK (he said it seems like half of it is dead!).

He then towed me home!

So worried and stressed...

HOW MUCH WOULD THIS COST ME?????

Anybody have any advice???

Car is a 56 plate, MK2 PH2 Campus Sport 1.2 16v - 43,000 miles! I drive a lot - my car is toooo essential!!!

Anybody, PLEASE help??

p.s: the light thats flashing on the dash is shown in pic I found online...

Interesting Links:

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=70781

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=306680

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=58334

https://www.rac.co.uk/web/forum/showthread.php?t=5531

http://www.rac.co.uk/web/forum/showthread.php?t=3230http://www.carsurvey.org/viewmorecomments_review_25613_7.html

Last edited:

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
Should still be under warranty is it not? 56 plate?

By the way, your enter key seems to be stuck down.

Sash

ClioSport Club Member
  A Yellow One
Get onto renault almost certain it's the coils which wmshould be done under warranty if yours is still covered.

Phone Renault today... chances are they wont be able to fix it before valentines though :( Hire a car?

Should be covered under warranty providing you have service history.
Where abouts in the UK are you?

Honda. Tesla Someday
west London. Bought the car new at Renault London west. BUT I've modded it (back box exhaust) and alloys and coilies! Doesn't that void warranty???

I also don't have service history...

182, turbo rx8, 911
It will only void the warrenty in regards to those specific parts (ie if the exhuast or cat went or the suspension) seeing as the mods you have done don't relate to the engine then they should cover it - Don't know about not having any service history though.

Thanks

west London. Bought the car new at Renault London west. BUT I've modded it (back box exhaust) and alloys and coilies! Doesn't that void warranty???

I also don't have service history...

Service interval is a year or 18,000 miles on that....
Its gone 2yrs and 43,000 miles and never been serviced?! I expect the original oil is lovely, good luck with the warranty.

Honda. Tesla Someday
I have been servicing myself. Changed the oil and filter twice, have changed the plugs and the air filters.

Only thing I havent changed is the timing belt.

Personally I think its crazy servicing your car like that when its so new. Fair enough out of warranty.

Renault will tell you to jog on :(

Lol what would renault say then

"I'm sorry sir we can't honour your warranty as the lack of service history meant the oil built up too much friction which caused the coilpacks to fail"

Do receipets work then I thought to maintain your warranty you had to get it serviced at a VAT registered garage using gen parts?

Honda. Tesla Someday
I am terrible when it comes to receipts, they are EVERYWHERE!

Have changed the 4 spark plugs by the way just a while ago, no difference. Car still messed up!!!

Have also ordered a Coil Pack - will fit it when it arrives. HOPEFULLY thats all it will need.

Honda. Tesla Someday
All parts I used were Genuine Renault parts and most were purchased from 'Minute' and Renault London West.

VAT registered garage, using genuine parts to the manufacturers specifications.

Depends on the item Matt, if you can prove you've serviced it then I would argue that a coil pack should be covered, if it isn't I would contact Ren UK.

Honda. Tesla Someday
Changed 4 spark plugs AND the coil pack.

NO DIFFERENCE.

It is NOT the coil pack that is faulty.

WHAT COUD IT BE I AM SCARED SH!TLESS!!!!

*cries*

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I don't understand why someone would void their warranty by servicing it themselves saving maybe £150 over the three year period??

Seems very short sighted to me.

RB 182
Its the emissions light mate happened to mine, Get the lambda sensor changed under warranty!

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
When you had the aftermarket exhaust fitted is there any chance they’ve bollocksed up your lambda sensor? If its not reading correctly or has failed it may be misinterpreting your exhaust gas mix (in this case too lean by the sound of it) and overcompensate by richnening your fuel mix. This would also give the rich/boggy side effects you’ve described that would be similar to a rich mix caused by a failed ig coil.

If the cars still under warranty just let renault worry about it.

s1 williams/106gti
When you had the aftermarket exhaust fitted is there any chance they’ve bollocksed up your lambda sensor?
very valid point.my friends vectra had a bolloxed lambda and that exact light came up on the dash which is engine managment...................but cant help thinking you should ring renault and give them some stick about it

RB 182
Fairly common problem i think, first garage i took it to told me it was dodgy petrol (at the time of the petrol thingy) and wanted about £400 to drain it etc! Took it to where i bought it from and they immediately said it was the lambda and changed it within a few hours.

Even if you change the coil pack yourself it still needs to go on a clip machine to clear the fault codes and get rid of the warning light.
Just book it in to Renault under warranty and claim ignorance regarding the servicing.

Honda. Tesla Someday
Won't Renault mind about the mods??

Will Renault tow it from my house?

Edit: after we changed the coil pack the engine was still only firing two cylinders. Is this because the fault wasn't cleared, like you said?

lemonnobby

ClioSport Club Member
maybe lots of things on a 1.2 coil pack plugs wiring tappets (although thats more low mileage one) injectors

Honda. Tesla Someday
p.s: If I cant get Renault to sort the lambda, how much is it to do myself or from a garage???

Sam

North East
ClioSport Area Rep
Lamba sensors are around the 100 quid mark. Not to hard to fit.

Just screw into your downpipe then plug the connector in if i recall!

Mondeo TXS Bardge.
if you can prove its genuine renault parts on the car and that you have replaced them i line with the service schedule, they should be able to help even in part.
have you been using the right grade oil etc.

we had a boy come in the other week and he had done 59k in 2 years and never had a service, at all. the oil was near enough tar, we think we caught it just in time, apprenlty he had been waiting for a service reminder light to come on on the dash of his fiesta. shame they done have them i suppose.
But ford did pay out on a warranty claim for him because the fault was a non serviced item, ie wouldnt be changed or inspected as part of the service. i'm sure the hego/lamba/o2 sensors arent part of the standard service. or the coil pack for that matter.

Amy

UR R26, Hyundai IX35
My engine management light came on due to a crap sensor - the bloody thing had got too cold when I was driving it on the motorway :S

Black Twingo GT
Do you not have a mechanic mate who can 'stamp' your service book for you?

It doesn't have have been serviced at a Renault dealer to be under warranty but you must prove it's been done....

By the way you do know your car comes with three years road side anyway don't you? You should have a Renault Assist number on a card in your pack.

Honda. Tesla Someday
Didnt know about the road side cover! Nobody told me ANYTHING when I purchased the car. The didnt even give me a showover! The guy that sold me it at Renault was a moody a**hole!

handy link to servicing:

http://www.renault.co.uk/Resources/PDF/WarTermsGeneral-Oct08.pdf

So...anyone know anybody who can give me a good stamping?

also, I can say to them 'check the service parts, they are genuine Renault!' and say "sorry I'm moving house and can't find my service book etc right now"

Think they'll fix it if I kick up enough of a stink?

Warranty also says they will tow it if it is undriveable.

Depends how patient/creative/fraudulent you want to be..

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/COLOP-P30-Sel...14&_trkparms=72:1683|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1307

But once youve gone to Renault without any S/H they're going to tell you to bend over and give them the annual revenue of a small country.

Just tell them you cant find it atm.. Order that from eBay if they kick off and demand a service book.

They'd be able to check if it was serviced at a main dealer and as it hasnt at any point, I would imagine will make your warranty invalid anyway..

Honda. Tesla Someday
Ok, seeing as I cant find the service book... just spoke to a friend that owns a garage...

He said he will sort out my service issues so Renault will still give me warranty service!

This bloke and I are pretty much the people who serviced it ourselves anyways!!

But once youve gone to Renault without any S/H they're going to tell you to bend over and give them the annual revenue of a small country.

ROFL!

On something like a coil pack/ o2 sensor I can't forsee a problem, its only on major issues gearbox/ engine/ etc that they have to see detailed invoices if you haven't had it serviced at a maindealer.