ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My adventures with tw*tty Drivers

RB One Eight Two
What a great idea. Can it only film facing forwards or can it film facing backwards aswell?

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
i like the idea of this thread and teh little Camera gadget looks very good for the money and the quality looks good to!

172DD Cup
to help with analysis :rasp: i've google mapped it. at the point the zafira decides to "go for it" (rear end drops on acceleration) and i react is 75ft away from where i am. the stopping distance for a car travelling at 30mph (including reaction time) is 75ft!
obviously i don't have to slow to a halt in this case and i'm afforded good reaction time as i'm aware of him being at the junction in advance.

esit: actually more like 85ft

Last edited:
  RB One Eight Two
:) it can be pointed wherever you want and has two joints on the arm so can be mounted a few different ways. if you can do without the little screen i think you can get one that looks like a torch for £15.

Thanks mate, looks like a great idea. I look forward to seeing some more videos.

RB 182
You are right, you clearly weren't speeding... It is a very good idea, if only there was some way to get your speedo in on the picture just to prove your speed :) i may think about investing in one of these :)

Clio RS 182
What an epic idea mate, I thought these things were very expensive, or if cheap, they were crap.

The amount of things I have seen, I so wish I had one of these setup. I've seen a car pull out on roundabout infront of a motorcyclist nearly taken the biker out, the car stopped due to another car infront stopping, the driver of the car had his window half down and without hesitation the biker punched the guy through the gap in the window, the car the drove off in a panic and the biker lost his balance and fell off his bike. It was so fukin funny.

172DD Cup
You are right, you clearly weren't speeding... It is a very good idea, if only there was some way to get your speedo in on the picture just to prove your speed :) i may think about investing in one of these :)

i have one of those too :) plugs into the diagnostic port on the car and link it with android phone over bluetooth, it records engine speed, revs, gps position, gps clock, as well as engine parameters like manifold pressure, ignition advance, etc. you can save the data and lay it over the top of the video :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CAR-DIAGNOSTIC-CODE-READER-ELM-327-BLUETOOTH-OBD-CAN-/140527841238

Turbos.
Surely there is more to life? People make mistakes, get over it.

I do agree that the Zafira in the clip was clearly in the wrong though.

Black 172
The Zafira was in the wrong, but it's a minor mistake and hardly worth talking about IMO. I know why you wanted to post it though (it's the first thing your camera has caught of any interest) and that's fine.

I might as well do the same and post a video from my dash cam of the other day. This is about the most interesting thing I've caught on it so far. Not really worth posting but still, it shows the quality of a #11 808 camera (on eBay for £30 and discussed elsewhere on the forum).

[video]http://ccgi.pendulum.plus.com/Wheelchair.wmv[/video]
This clip is about 30mb because I've not quite got the hang of video compression yet :rasp:

What's not caught in the video is the fact he said something to me, as if it was my fault, but obviously not. He's the one with the give way line. Hoping to catch some proper video in the future!

'03 172, E39 M5
It's hard to judge, and you don't seem to be speeding, but it certainly didn't look like you adjusted your speed to take account of conditions (no noticeable reduction in speed at the "SLOW" or where the area became built-up). Also look at how much he can see - parked cars etc taking his visibility right down - you know there's a junction there (car turns into it as you approach) but he doesn't know you're there.

I'm not saying he's not made a mistake (he has - should probably have just crept out until he could see all was clear) but I reckon if you'd anticipated the junction and just lifted off, it'd have been a non-issue - not trying to be a d*ck, but if you're having a lot of this kind of stuff happen, it may be time to re-examine how you're doing things :)

172DD Cup
i think you may have missed the point of the thread :rasp:

and i also think you got it spot on in the first four words of your post

edited (because i really should proof read first): yet you go on to judge and make recommendations based on a 21 second video clip!

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S
It's hard to judge, and you don't seem to be speeding, but it certainly didn't look like you adjusted your speed to take account of conditions (no noticeable reduction in speed at the "SLOW" or where the area became built-up). Also look at how much he can see - parked cars etc taking his visibility right down - you know there's a junction there (car turns into it as you approach) but he doesn't know you're there.

I'm not saying he's not made a mistake (he has - should probably have just crept out until he could see all was clear) but I reckon if you'd anticipated the junction and just lifted off, it'd have been a non-issue - not trying to be a d*ck, but if you're having a lot of this kind of stuff happen, it may be time to re-examine how you're doing things :)

LOL

So do you let off for every junction you come accross? The law sees it as he was in the wrong, end.

Of course this doesn't mean you shouldn't be ready to act on a muppet doing something like teh above

Listerine & Poledo
Does the camera have audio-in?

I can see "Goodj's Commute Commentary", documenting the life of a man who just wants to get to work without some penarse fu(king with his timetable

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S
I guess I should just get my toe down then and just drive everywhere like a complete c-unit then.

Other road users? GTFO!

Because thats exactly what I said isn't it?

You should be able to continue along your road at a speed which is safe to do so, these are normally stated by teh speed limits but can depending on the circumstances be slower.

Obviously whilst driving you should also be aware of any hazard and junctions are a form of hazard, however you sneed to be ready to act, not have to 'let off' everytime you approch one.

'03 172, E39 M5
LOL

So do you let off for every junction you come accross? The law sees it as he was in the wrong, end.

Of course this doesn't mean you shouldn't be ready to act on a muppet doing something like teh above

This is my exact point - I'm not trying to lecture anyone, I'm just saying you could use vids like that to work out whether you could've done anything better.

Of course I'm not saying I'd let off at every junction, but I'd like to think I would've for that one, because I couldn't see it was clear. It's all very well being right, legally, but if you crash, it's not much comfort.

I apologise for any offence caused (which absolutely was unintended).

Neal

Last edited:
  Listerine & Poledo
you should also be aware of any hazard and junctions are a form of hazard, however you sneed to be ready to act, not have to 'let off' everytime you approch one.

You've not driven in London I'm guessing?

If you're not watching ewvery corner, all the time, you will get t-boned. Unfortunately.

I'm not saying I come to a shuddering halt, but I will be ready to leap on the anchors when some M3(18) comes belting towards the junction with no obvious signs of wanting to stop.

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S
Actaully I have, and I can see your point. One would lose there life quickly if they weren't on the ball!

Nealh, you certainly haven't offened me. I tend to have a totalitarian view of driving (I do 40k a year) and wish that other road users could at least follow the highway code! I realise that this is far from teh reality of things but I can dream!

'03 172, E39 M5
Cool - I've done IAM and working on RoSPA at the moment - useful stuff, even though I only do 10k miles a year or so.

MK3, RX450H.
Everyone seems to be arsey about everything on here.
Bundle of geeks getting bex cos' of someone going 'maybe' a little over 30mph..

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Hmm, i see why you would have one but honestly i think your wasting your time with it, being that many idiots on the road and so on.

Black Sheep
Everyone seems to be arsey about everything on here.
Bundle of geeks getting bex cos' of someone going 'maybe' a little over 30mph..

Yeah point taken I do think people on here can be critical a bit to much of not doing 30 in a 30 as in certain circumstances this is not practical. Many of the people can NOT possibly say they obey speed limits at all times.
The thing the gets me though is some people that are not doing say 35- 40 they are doing f*cking 60+ in a 30. On a couple of occasions in my eight years driving I have not pulled out while one of these d*ck heads has went past. Leaving you thinking what if? I think that is what people are getting at.

'03 172, E39 M5
It's a fair point mate - people doing stupid speeds in 30 limits (or on single track blind bend-ridden country lanes) is really poor driving. It's not like speeding in those circumstances is even any fun - just mindless. This isn't addressed at the OP though - I've no idea what speed he was doing.

RB One Eight Two
I needed one of these yesterday when a driver came round a backroad corner on my side of the road. The white lines are there for a reason FFS.

Subaru 330s
I've been looking at getting something like this after an accident I had last year, so I think its a great idea!!

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Wether he was speeding or not the Zaf was in the wrong, he should've realised his speed and not pulled out. If a motorbike was coming down the road the Zaf would never have seen it or managed to judge it's speed in the brief moment he looked.