ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My amateur review of ITB's

hey guys,

So here we go, before i start can i please emphasize all of the below are all of my personal opinions/thoughts/views/experiences and I will give my honest opinion, please dont hate on me because you think differently! I have made this thread for people who have limited knowledge of mechanics/tuning as myself and are looking to go for the itb kit's available.

First off

Spec

Clio 182
AT power throttlebodies (standard cam)
Gen90 ecu
Milltek exhaust + decat

Reason for choosing ITB

After modifying a few other cars I always did everything apart from tune the engines of the cars, and by the time it came to the engine I got a little bored and found myself looking for other faster cars, so with my clio I decided to go straight to the engine side of things first. There are many ways to get more power out of the clio but for real power we all know it comes down to the big 3. After a fair bit of reading about the ''big 3'' I boiled it down to the supercharger kit or throttlebodies, as a weekend car and wanting to try some track time all I knew was both made the car faster and to be honest it came down to cost! I dont have x000 amounts of money floating about, I worked really hard to save up for these and when it came to choosing s/c or itbs the £1500ish difference was a big deal to me. So ITB's was my choice!

Time Scale

After talking to a few companies I finally set my deposit down on a friday and the car was booked into their garage for the monday, After lots of useful phone updates about the car one week later she was ready to pick up. Ive only had to go back to the garage once to have abit of cold start work and a update to the ecu.

The Bodies (looks)

When i went to pick up the car I checked over the kit, I had seemed to have lots alot from under the bonnet inlet manifolds, airbox ect The bodies themselves look very professionally made and made the rest of my dirty engine bay look terrible haha! As i had gone for the shorter trumpets keeping my slam panel, aircon ect I personally was abit worried about how close they was sitting to slam panel but was soon assure when traveling at high speeds there will be more then enough cold air getting to the filter. I made the best of the situation and removed the blanking plate behind the grill, lost the rug under the hood, chopped out as much of the slam panel and grill as I could without having to use bonnet pins.

The Gen90

I wont go too much into this as I don't know really that much about it other then it seems very sophisticated, I did originally want the ec1 but was advised to go for the gen90 for the advantage of less plumbing time and ease of removing if i wished to sell on plus there wasnt much price difference between the two. When I did pick the car up I think every dash light was on, auto lights didnt work, trip computer didnt work but was soon solved on the second visit with a simple update.

Power

The car started its life at 169bhp, I started with a rstuning remap before the bodies which took the clio to 177.5bhp. I received a phone call near the end of the week while been fitted to tell me my car had made 190bhp and after seeing other peoples results I was a little disappointed but the mapper told me he will keep trying to squeeze a few more ponies out for me, about an hour later I got a phone call again to say the car had now made 192.9bhp which the car is currently at. (graphs to follow)

Performance

Again my personal honest opinion, let me start by saying if you are wanting anything like the feel of boost then all I can say is go for boost! You are not getting anything neck snapping with throttlebodies. It did feel fast when I test drove the car, I dont know if thats anything to do with the fact I'd driven a 1.3 p reg fiesta for the week she was away. After i was used to the car again, I dont know how to say thing but its all abit smooth you dont really seem to be going that fast, but looking at the speedo the 30-100 times have increased massively!! Where the car seemed to lack off before it just powers through now right up to the limiter, I do seem to get abit of torque steer in second gear but nothing major. Standard brakes stop the car fine although 4 pots would be nice I dont think they are necessary.

Fuel

I didnt ITB my car to save fuel but it seems people like to know what they are running so here we go, (please note I run v-power) before the kit was fitted i was running around 35mpg when i picked the car up the trip computer said it was 32mpg on the drive home I wasnt doing anything silly just driving steady with a couple of blips the t/c kept on dropping and dropping it eventually stopped on 18mpg which I thought was abit low so i reset the t/c and now all it says is 0.1mpg Im guessing this has something to do with the ecu but ill get that looked at later, all i can say is fuel goes FAST I reckon not thrashing it everywhere you'd be looking at around 22-25mpg at most.

The Sound

Everybody always talks about the sound of throttleodies in some sort of legendary way, driving steady away the car sounds no different just the usual exhaust tones ect taking the car above 4000rpm it really does seem to kick in very deep and just simply sounds powerful. I dont know what other people have done on youtube ect but mine sounds different not quite as loud maybe its the shorter trumpets giving off less sounds i dont know? All in all it does make me smile hearing them!

Price

Last section is the cost of the kit. The total cost of my kit was £2850 which is £100 more then if I had gone for ec1 ecu. All I can say on this situation is I really didnt realize the total cost's to build an itb clio. Yes the kit is £2850 but then if you want the aircon removed, shorter radiator, slam panel removed, bonnet pins ect I was quoted £1199 + vat for this doing, then if your wanting cams aswell I was also quoted £900, so basically to build a no compromise you are talking along the lines of £4949 maybe cheaper if all done at once/yourself but you get the jist of the extra pieces needed to finish off the car. So if your undecided weather to get s/c or itb's I'd probably say they are on par with each other price wise. You seriously need to take everything into consideration and have to be dedicated to the build.

Ps. Videos, Pictures, graphs, will be upload in due course

I hope this review will be useful to somebody that is in the situation I was in before I made my decision, and will hopefully guide them into the right direction!

Thanks for reading

errrm I will honestly admit that I was expecting more, but I am more then happy with how the car runs at the minute! I haven't actually had the clio on the track yet but its definitely something im looking to do this spring/summer just need to build the funds back up to get things booked for a session. I know my views could be completely different after I have the car on the track but ill keep this thread updated. This review was just to hopefully help people in any way that it does.

Cro

Meg'd r27
I'd be raging if I'd spent 4.5k tbh, I did all mine for under 1k. Theres a lot to be said about shopping about, waiting and getting your hands dirty imo

182cup & 172 racecar
What sort of figures were you expecting then?I think you had set your sights to high after reading some figures on here.
It's all about the way it drives,moral to this story is really,if it ain't broke don't fix it.

yes it is the tdf kit but with a gen90 instead of the ec1, there would of been no way I could of ever fitted a kit like this myself, this is why i made this thread for people have limited knowledge like myself.

Tony - Dont get me wrong I know its not all about the figures and that they are just pub talk ect, just from my personal experience/thoughts I think I over ''hyped'' what the car would feel like, but as said the drivability has improved massively and I am really please with how the car is at the minute, I dont feel as if I have wasted my money and im really glad i did choose itbs, but I will openly admit not having enough info to realize the true costs of a build.

PLEASE NOTE

After reading through the thread again this morning, it does seem like im really unhappy with the car and kit, I am not at all, im really happy with both and would recommend to anybody! My moral of the story is to research, commit, dedicate and enjoy!

This is a TDF kit but it wasnt fitted by Matt I have it fitted elsewhere but will leave company names out encase they have any price changes or extra work needed meaning more cost.

Last edited:
Reason for the gen90 is explained in the ecu section, I don't think the workmanship could of been any better to be honest

Golf GTD Mk7
Reason for the gen90 is explained in the ecu section, I don't think the workmanship could of been any better to be honest

fare enough, I just read the first line when you said "i'm not going to go into it", and didn't read the rest.lol.

what was the car spec beforehand btw? oh and pics now please ;)

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader

I like the way that you have given an honest appraisal of throttle bodies, a lot of people expect waaaaaay too much from these things, so perhaps your insight will bring them down to earth a little.

15-20 bhp extra is not really going to make the car that much quicker in the grand scheme of things tbh, driveability will improve, but really, is it worth £3k? I doubt it. As the final piece in a very high spec jigsaw, itb's are a yes, but if the rest of the car is relatively standard, i think i would probably go JMS RS2 everytime - having driven both.

Evo 5 RS
You do sound a little disappointed

like Dave says you won't notice massively the improvement, but it is deceptive. Compared with boost especially. The only way to feel boost - is boost lol

Edit: thought you had cams for some reason!

Last edited:

RSTuning

ClioSport Club Member
  R35 GTR
Should of had it all done at TDF, I think most people on here can kind of guess where you took to get it fitted /mapped.

We fitted and mapped it

It was making on par with the other ITB cars +- a couple of hp due to keeping the slam panel but nothing major.

The car is so so smooth so i personally can understand Sam's review and think it's a very balanced opinion on ITB's

Haha yea I did go into it a Little more then I originally thought, spec before when the car made 177bhp just just the usual decat, filter and remap

We fitted and mapped it

It was making on par with the other ITB cars +- a couple of hp due to keeping the slam panel but nothing major.

The car is so so smooth so i personally can understand Sam's review and think it's a very balanced opinion on ITB's

Ah right forgive my negative post then Paul, thought that only K-tec mapped there own gen90 ecu and no one else. Hence why I said it should of been done completely at TDF.

RSTuning

ClioSport Club Member
  R35 GTR
Ah right forgive my negative post then Paul, thought that only K-tec mapped there own gen90 ecu and no one else. Hence why I said it should of been done completely at TDF.

No worries, we have been mapping the GEN90 for a while now although not done too many.

Chefs for that Paul, I didn't want people ringing you saying "well he got it fitted for this blah blah" I just wanted to show the pro's and con's to the average Joe wanting to go down the ITB route. I'm more then happy with the car and looking forward to these cams ;)

RSTuning

ClioSport Club Member
  R35 GTR
Chefs for that Paul, I didn't want people ringing you saying "well he got it fitted for this blah blah" I just wanted to show the pro's and con's to the average Joe wanting to go down the ITB route. I'm more then happy with the car and looking forward to these cams ;)

No worries mate :)

I'll let you know ASAP on these...

Qashcow
unless you spend silly money on these cars you wont get massive power gains. ITB's are great for the noise and throttle response and as a trackday/fast road car you couldnt ask for anything more tbh, add cams to make it a little more furious but thats more money again.

I think now the problems are being ironed out of SC'd cars (crank pulley etc) and the very cheap labour costs the suppliers are charging to fit these kits, they're about the best value for bhp on the standard F4R block.

Hope you happy with it though, and please bare in mind that some of the bhp readings on this forum are exaggerated perhaps and different RR will give different figures anyway.

You do sound a little disappointed

like Dave says you won't notice massively the improvement, but it is deceptive. Compared with boost especially. The only way to feel boost - is boost lol

Edit: thought you had cams for some reason!

Yea this is exactly what I mean it doesn't feel all that fast whilst driving because its just so smooth at putting the power down but when looking at the Speedo its worlds apart from before but yea its not boost I can't emphasize that more haha

Golf GTD Mk7
Yea this is exactly what I mean it doesn't feel all that fast whilst driving because its just so smooth at putting the power down but when looking at the Speedo its worlds apart from before but yea its not boost I can't emphasize that more haha

I suppose the standard 1*2's feel quicker with the boost/Vtec ;) kicking in at 5k.lol. But if the bhp delivery is ironed out it wouldn't feel as "aggressive". For me it's the near constant torque band that's appealing. You want to go side by side with a standard one to see what the difference is really like. Private runway of course :D

Mazda 3 MPS Mk1
Good read this fella, and nice to see a balanced review. Especially as my car is going in to TDF for their body conversion on Sunday. Like you, my car is a healthy one, and has done 193 bhp with cams prior to the bodies so im not expecting mega figures, but im sure the drivability and extras torque make it all worth while, i will see i suppose!

By the way, this thread is useless without PICS!!

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
To be perfectly honest, having driven our ITB'd one, & then driven the standard engined Trophy, the thing that really sets them apart if the throttle response, oh & the noise.

Which is sexual :eek:

It is definately quicker as well, just not explosively so like a S/C.

But boost is for gays.

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
Nice honest review. Not a cheap pastime, but whatever floats your boat at the end of the day dude. :)

Got the graph of torque/power curves?

Mk5 golf gti
Great review

at that money i would of gone for the supercharger
due to the small gains id do ITB's on a budget like russ's on standard ecu :)

Evo 5 RS
To be perfectly honest, having driven our ITB'd one, & then driven the standard engined Trophy, the thing that really sets them apart if the throttle response, oh & the noise.

Which is sexual :eek:

It is definately quicker as well, just not explosively so like a S/C.

But boost is for gays.

Exactly ;)

Just add cams and it amplifies the rawness!

Russ's car was legendary in it's blue peter approach - but unless you really are trying to keep on a budget I'd strongly suggest going after market in that department for a smoother delivery