ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My amateur review of ITB's

TrackCar & F30 330d
I just think it's all about what you are wanting to get from the car. I've only spent what I have on my car because I love making the changes and after driving it I feel the difference of every mod. Doing the work on the car myself is just as rewarding as having a better handling/faster car :)

Just to clarify I didnt ITB my clio to make it into a track car although It is something I'm wanting to do i just enjoy car's and I'm sure other people do aswell and even though it is alot of money personally it has made me happy in doing so.

If you're happy then that's the main thing.

Obviously get paid too much ;)

Silent_Scone

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo 5 RS
a lot of people jsut take it at face value or too seriously, I've clocked probably no more than 12 hours track time in mine, but I've clocked a lot more in the spire / other cars. Doesn't mean I regret spending on it - it'll always be a pastime

I certainly don't regret the money spent on jenveys. The torque curve is alot more than a line on a bit of paper and pub talk. It's grin factor. Smile people ;)

I just think it's all about what you are wanting to get from the car. I've only spent what I have on my car because I love making the changes and after driving it I feel the difference of every mod. Doing the work on the car myself is just as rewarding as having a better handling/faster car :)

This!

Tbh i couldnt give a flying f**k if someone else is quicker than me around a track in a standard car with tuition, people do what they do to there cars for the enjoyment and thats all it should be about... I like the fact that my cars a piece of crap yet feels absolutely savage when driving it around a track, thats what makes me happy.

If you're happy then that's the main thing.

Obviously get paid too much ;)

i really don't I worked really hard and saved for a very long time to fund these, I laid the pricing out like I have so the average Joe who doesn't have 1000's laying about or in mums and dads Bank accounts and so they can see all the costs it can potentially cost

Owen

ClioSport Admin
Did you have a rolling road before hand to see what the car was making? Mine was pretty strong at 177bhp so not much gain was had, but if id would of gone from the original 169 to the 193 I would of thought the gain was much more

was 167bhp before and 198.1bhp after, so quite a difference for me mate

172 Ph1, Lupo GTI
Personally I dont like owning a car at face value other people know to be fast.

As for throttle bodies. The problem with 99% of people who fit them and are disappointed are people who only look at the top of the power graph. Personally I look in the mid range where a tb'ed car vs standard mostly trounces the standard car. I'll throw in an example. The honda S2000 gains 50bhp in places!
My throttlebodied 205 actually did better mpg when cruising than the standard engine. It had a lot of time spent on its mapping though.

Mazda 3 MPS Mk1
This!

Tbh i couldnt give a flying f**k if someone else is quicker than me around a track in a standard car with tuition, people do what they do to there cars for the enjoyment and thats all it should be about... I like the fact that my cars a piece of crap yet feels absolutely savage when driving it around a track, thats what makes me happy.

Nick, couldn't agree more mate. And your car is hardly a piece of crap, was v impressed with eh passenger las at Silverstone with Mr Hunter at the helm!

My car does better fuel economy on the itb's than when it was a fairly stock williams engine, also my itb conversion ended up costing my nothing but the price of a dta ecu, i would personally never spent the sort of money some have on this conversion, second hand and diy is king.
I bought russ's car and with some pateince braking the car and getting good price's i did it for nothing, but ditched the standard ecu setup.

okay so here we go with the first video, sorry for the poor quality its a phone camera the best ive got at the minute, the first minute or so is looking over the engine bay and you can clearly see how close the bodies sit if you decide not to loose the slam panel/air-con, you can see where ive cut out as much of the panel as i could without losing the catch, I removed the blanking plate behind the grill and took the rug out. I briefly show the ecu but its not much to look at, then we go inside you can see the auto lights working and all the dash lights are turned off the trip computer was not showing any info i dont know what is up with that? Please note before i continue I havent started the car in over a week and it was very cold outside tonight, the first four tries are with no rev's just trying to tick the car over but it dies straight away and the fifth try I am revving the car for 30 seconds or so and then she is idling fine, back outside i dont know what is going on with the sound but it sounds terrible it does NOT sound like this one bit haha and finally as we all know revving the car just to check everything is working correctly ;) plus the graphs

samshd7_000026.jpg

samshd7_000027.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
  HBT 172 Cup
Nice setup there, im running F4R on ITB's too, my cold start looks about on par with yours lol (i.e piss poor).

Enjoy it their are a hoot to drive with.

yea to be fair i hadnt driven the car in over a week so i was expecting it to be abit worse but it would of started first time with a few rev's i reckon

Mazda 3 MPS Mk1
Did they not spend lots of time on cold start? I know when TDF do the conversion they work Hard on the cold start mapping. I'm sure if it had been driven or given a little blip it would have started straight away. Looks tidy mate! Dash lights look light there all out too, bonus!

Silent_Scone

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo 5 RS
nice graph :)smooth as you like. Definitely a nack to cold start mapping. Since mine came back from Matt's - even on sub zero mornings you don't even have to give it any gas. Every cars different, mind!

Qashcow
Are itb'd cars normally a bit of a pig to start when uber cold? This isn't a dig, I've only ever driven them rather than owned them sk genuinely dont know. Only reason I ask is tonight (3degree's) I took the sc'd car out and after a week of nothing it started first time. However, your mpg will be almost double mine ;)

Edit to say I hadn't seen the last two responses...

Did they not spend lots of time on cold start? I know when TDF do the conversion they work Hard on the cold start mapping. I'm sure if it had been driven or given a little blip it would have started straight away. Looks tidy mate! Dash lights look light there all out too, bonus!

I did go back for a second visit and was there whilst paul worked on the cold start and we left the car 30-40minutes and she fired up first time i just think its because of the long period of time i havent driven the car and it is about 2 degrees outside at the minute

Silent_Scone

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo 5 RS
Are itb'd cars normally a bit of a pig to start when uber cold? This isn't a dig, I've only ever driven them rather than owned them sk genuinely dont know. Only reason I ask is tonight (3degree's) I took the sc'd car out and after a week of nothing it started first time. However, your mpg will be almost double mine ;)

Edit to say I hadn't seen the last two responses...

lol ;)

Never had a problem fella. Only issue in relation to omex / jenveys I had was a hooky throttle pot which Matt chopped out and also I think my ***** omex coolant sensor is playing up. Hardly anything to lose sleep over

Not including the filter of doom obviously

Qashcow
Great review. I'm starting to get the impression most people only post figures if they get near 200 with ITBs, the rest just don't share.

Yep pretty much, and I suspect some of the figures are exaggerated plus the fact some rr like to give healthy figures shall we say.

Yep pretty much, and I suspect some of the figures are exaggerated plus the fact some rr like to give healthy figures shall we say.

This could be true, but the builds i have seen usually have the aircon removed, no slam panel and longer trumpets. I was told if i made these changes i would probably make around 5bhp taking the car to 198bhp around the figures I've seen but at £1199 its hard to justify

Good read that mate, changed my thoughts on them slightly
Hopefully not for the worse just know you need to be dedicated and understand the costs if your not planning on doing them yourself, all that said they are alot of fun and if you have a passion for cars go for it :)

Mazda 3 MPS Mk1
Looks snug! Is the filter actually catching on the rad / slam panel? I'm having longer trumpets on mine so will be mega close