ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My amateur review of ITB's

I know guys I'm going to make a video walk through for first time start up, engine Bay shots ECT tomorrow was late last night.

The cams are been made by tdf I believe but I'm waiting to hear more info myself

Golf GTD Mk7
I know guys I'm going to make a video walk through for first time start up, engine Bay shots ECT tomorrow was late last night.

The cams are been made by tdf I believe but I'm waiting to hear more info myself

id be dead interested in those cams too! ill have a word with matt

WHYYYYYYY!!! This means i'll have to save a bit more money now :) Would be rude not to tbh.

Alpine GTA Turbo+182
I really wonder at the point of £3K + for a small power increase. OK power delivery is better, nice flat torque curve, but add in cams to the whole thing with all the odds and sods you must be looking over £5K. Given that a 182 is average worth £4K that makes £9K + ?? I would just go and buy a faster car! Struth you can buy a Maserati in vgc from £10K and only lose £1K after a year. Your 182 will be worth about £5K after a year??
Sorry, I understand the need to modify cars - been doing it for over 40years, but these cars are in a decent state of tune from the factory. Hence why a lot of race teams run stock engines. And what of insurance premiums? I'm confused! But good luck anyway, and a nicely written review btw.:cool:

Mazda 3 MPS Mk1
I really wonder at the point of £3K + for a small power increase. OK power delivery is better, nice flat torque curve, but add in cams to the whole thing with all the odds and sods you must be looking over £5K. Given that a 182 is average worth £4K that makes £9K + ?? I would just go and buy a faster car! Struth you can buy a Maserati in vgc from £10K and only lose £1K after a year. Your 182 will be worth about £5K after a year??
Sorry, I understand the need to modify cars - been doing it for over 40years, but these cars are in a decent state of tune from the factory. Hence why a lot of race teams run stock engines. And what of insurance premiums? I'm confused! But good luck anyway, and a nicely written review btw.:cool:

im so bored of hearing stuff like this. whats the point in having this, its a waste of money blah blah blah.

why bother doing anything ever!

Cheers but this has been covered many times over and over again I did it just for the simple fact of having a tuned car and the love of modifying well paying somebody to modify for me :)

Impreza Wagon
Very good read this is! It's answered most questions I had about ITB's. I imagine a large amount of the cost was spent on labour and mapping? I'd like to be able to fit all the kit myself but would always be worried about messing it up!

Alpine GTA Turbo+182
im so bored of hearing stuff like this. whats the point in having this, its a waste of money blah blah blah.

why bother doing anything ever!

Yes, well. You obviously missed the point. I have modified more cars and bikes than you could count. I was just interested why. And the OP answered my question in a sensible manner. He could teach you a lot.;)

Cheers but this has been covered many times over and over again I did it just for the simple fact of having a tuned car and the love of modifying well paying somebody to modify for me :)

As above. Not knocking you - sound reasoning. Just not my way - that's what makes us all different thank God! Good luck.:cool:

Evo 5 RS
You mentioned what the car was worth in relation to how much you would have to part with, so in fact it's more you that was missing the point lol

Love GTAs btw

Very good read this is! It's answered most questions I had about ITB's. I imagine a large amount of the cost was spent on labour and mapping? I'd like to be able to fit all the kit myself but would always be worried about messing it up!
lovely stuff this is what I was aiming for, I'm not sure how much of the cost was labour but I'm guessing not much as the gen90 is £1090 alone plus everything else and the map

Golf GTD Mk7
Thinking about it though, unless you have the cams changed while the belts being replaced (~£3K), you'll be looking at ~£4.5K fitted/mapped. You could get a charger fitted and mapped for 4k, so is it worth it?

Thinking about it though, unless you have the cams changed while the belts being replaced (~£3K), you'll be looking at ~£4.5K fitted/mapped. You could get a charger fitted and mapped for 4k, so is it worth it?

Againthe main reason I made this thread so people understand the TRUE costs of a itb build

K-Tec Racing

ClioSport Trader
  172LBT-172HBT-197-R2
ITB's are a reliable, viable and proven method of increasing the car's power output, response and all round drivability. The gains the OP has experienced, given the fact that he has retained the slam panel and therefore has reduced runner length are as to be expected and should be considered a job well done, especially if we consider other options on the market which are constrained to the tight engine bay. Limitations and shortcomings of alternative options cannot be overcome without complete replacment if the OP wished to pursue further power upgrades in the future, be that NA or boosted.

Pound for Pound the ITB set up used here, when you take into account reduced installation time by choosing to use a direct plug in ECU, represents good value. I am sure the OP will not only enjoy the car as it is now and having been in touch with him directly, will go on to continue to get the best out of future mods, what ever they may be! ;) Look forward to seeing the updates in future!

Sean.

Hey Sean,

Great post there, sorry I haven't been back to you yet everything has been going a little crazy lately and I've just been weighing up my options of where to take the car next but I'm sure I'll be in contact with you soon, again many thanks for all your help!

Owen

ClioSport Admin
over run map?? pah!

Should do that anyway if you drive it hard enough!

Confirmed.

OP: I must say that my experience is slightly different in so much as my car felt instantaneously more powerful and responsive with an insatiable appetite for revs, I've had the TDF setup on the car for about a month now and I wish I had done it sooner tbh. The car is so much nicer to drive around town, with none of the part throttle jerkiness it previously had, and it scares the s**t out of me when I open it up.

Confirmed.

OP: I must say that my experience is slightly different in so much as my car felt instantaneously more powerful and responsive with an insatiable appetite for revs, I've had the TDF setup on the car for about a month now and I wish I had done it sooner tbh. The car is so much nicer to drive around town, with none of the part throttle jerkiness it previously had, and it scares the s**t out of me when I open it up.

Did you have a rolling road before hand to see what the car was making? Mine was pretty strong at 177bhp so not much gain was had, but if id would of gone from the original 169 to the 193 I would of thought the gain was much more

Mazda 3 MPS Mk1
Mine made 193 after mapping with the cams @ TDF. I'm not hoping for massive figures but if it does 210 and 170lb ft I'll be happy

Good review. Very honest.

I didn't realise they were so expensive. Thought you could get it all done for around 2k.

Seems you've probably spent the value of your car on modifying it. Do you regret it? If you knew all you know now, would you still go ahead with it?

I will certainly be directing people in this direction when they ask about ITB's in future.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I lol at the 169 bhp as standard no wonder people think they get 200bhp with an exhaust and a rempa after assuming it starts with 182!

Very honest review dude, think this explains why people sell not long after getting it done, didn't quite give them that scooby power they were craving. All imo.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
At the end of the day, the numbers just willing waving. RR's differ so much.

Tuning is a mug's game imo, but i've been there and taken the mug status. I enjoyed doing it at the time, but largely regret it now. If you want a faster car, buy a faster car.

The RS is a capable and nippy car in oem trim.

RSTuning

ClioSport Club Member
  R35 GTR
At the end of the day life can be a mugs game but it depends what you make of it, same with tuning a car IMO.

Ok YOU dont feel it's for you but some do, look at the track scene and semi pro motorsport scene, pretty sure they dont say it's pointless.

Good review. Very honest.

I didn't realise they were so expensive. Thought you could get it all done for around 2k.

Seems you've probably spent the value of your car on modifying it. Do you regret it? If you knew all you know now, would you still go ahead with it?

I will certainly be directing people in this direction when they ask about ITB's in future.
thanks for that revels the more this helps people the better! Errrm if I knew everything I did now I would probably still of gone for itb's but I wouldn't of gone so half arsed at it and would of done it properly with cams, removing slam pannel ECT I just seem to have over looked everything for where I want my car to stand, I don't regret it one bit though I love tuned cars and I work hard so why not spend my money on what I want its no different from a photographer going out and buying a 2k lens when the could manage with the kit lens just for a hobby. But yes I assumed the same sort of price but in reality it is alot more.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
At the end of the day life can be a mugs game but it depends what you make of it, same with tuning a car IMO.

Ok YOU dont feel it's for you but some do, look at the track scene and semi pro motorsport scene, pretty sure they dont say it's pointless.

You make a valid point. However how many of the track car(s)/Builds on here actually make it to a track! And of the few that do, how many of them can drive.

I'd make a case study of MarkCup. Fairly std cup to start with, now stripped, very lightly modified and still runs rings around most folk. Time in the seat is worth x10 when TB's will give you in performance. Thats a given of course.

Ali is spot on though.

Give 2 people 10k each. One spends 2k on coilovers/brakes/tyres and 8k on tuition. The other spends all 10k on the same as the first person but also a supercharger/turbo/fairy dust. His car will be a lot quicker but the tuition will make a massive difference to the first person not only in their speed but the enjoyment.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Ali is spot on though.

Give 2 people 10k each. One spends 2k on coilovers/brakes/tyres and 8k on tuition. The other spends all 10k on the same as the first person but also a supercharger/turbo/fairy dust. His car will be a lot quicker but the tuition will make a massive difference to the first person not only in their speed but the enjoyment.

We are wasting our breath...

I'm not preaching, i spent thousands on my old 1.2/172 on sideskirts and other hideous bits but at the time it felt the right thing to do.

The stock 172 is a great car, it just doesn't warrant its equal value spent on it!

Each to their own.

Just to clarify I didnt ITB my clio to make it into a track car although It is something I'm wanting to do i just enjoy car's and I'm sure other people do aswell and even though it is alot of money personally it has made me happy in doing so.

Last edited: