ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My Banzai MX-5 Project...

Swift Sport
As you may have seen my Mk1 up for sale on here I've been looking for something newer to replace it. The Mk1 has been faultless and loads of fun over the past 4.5 years, but I felt it was time for a change. Then last week I was offered Banzai Magazine's old Mk3 project car, so I've decided to try it out...

29338222247_b26f336b64.jpg

The cosmetic mods aren't to my taste, so I'm going to spending some time making it look more 'normal'. First thing to go will be the wrap...

44274500071_25490e9698_z.jpg

Luckily for me the paintwork underneath is good, and better still it's the colour I originally wanted... So a bit of a win win there! After closer inspection it also appears to have Ohlins coilovers, Eibach anti-roll bars and a Scorpion exhaust too.

42469306790_1890eb8803.jpg

43560384484_afb03f832d.jpg

The only issue I've got at the moment is getting the f*cking wrap off! The main bodywork of the car is just matt grey, but the bonnet and roof are carbon effect and it just doesn't want to budge... I've even borrowed a heated paint shop booth and at high temps it's still a nightmare to peel off...

43557030944_c5b66db048_z.jpg

44225982362_9efae01c24.jpg

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions they'll be very welcome!

Once the wrap is removed I'll get the mirrors and other bits painted either black or matching red, then swap the stance wheels for something more to my taste.

Last edited:

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
I'd add some degreaser to it after it's been on bake. Let it soak for a bit then peel off. The body shop your using should have some.

I'm not saying it'll work but it certainly will help. I don't know how stubborn the carbon wrap stuff is.

Swift Sport
I'd add some degreaser to it after it's been on bake. Let it soak for a bit then peel off. The body shop your using should have some.

I'm not saying it'll work but it certainly will help. I don't know how stubborn the carbon wrap stuff is.

Cheers for the suggestion. The worst part is that the carbon wrap won't peel, it just breaks up. It'll going to take weeks unless I can find a quicker way.

535d / t5 caravelle
that wrap looks like a right b*****d to get off, i quite liked the wrap, but also love the colour underneath it.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
It's an absolute b*****d to remove wrap. I fucked up the rear wings when I was wrapping the kitcar. Was so much of a c**t to remove, I ended up buying new wings!

The most success I had was with a heat gun. Easier with two of you so one can heat the vinyl, and the other can use both hands to peel off the wrap

535d / t5 caravelle
s**t the bed, that is bad, what about asking some advice from a place who actually wrap cars? looks like you've got yourself a fair mission on your hands there.

Swift Sport
It's an absolute b*****d to remove wrap. I fucked up the rear wings when I was wrapping the kitcar. Was so much of a c**t to remove, I ended up buying new wings!

The most success I had was with a heat gun. Easier with two of you so one can heat the vinyl, and the other can use both hands to peel off the wrap

Luckily it's all off bar the roof and the bonnet which are changeable if need be... I'm certainly thinking of getting the bonnet repainted or even buying another.

Swift Sport
s**t the bed, that is bad, what about asking some advice from a place who actually wrap cars? looks like you've got yourself a fair mission on your hands there.

Yeah I do know someone so I might send them a message... I reckon I might re-wrap the roof as it's easier than removing the whole lot.

535d / t5 caravelle
surely you cant stick another wrap over the old wrap till its all removed? you had the wheels redone then?

Swift Sport
surely you cant stick another wrap over the old wrap till its all removed? you had the wheels redone then?

It's a folding roof, so it's separate panels... I've only started removing one panel, so I'm tempted to re-wrap all the panels once I'm done.

535d / t5 caravelle
ahhh right, i get you, oh and heard you first time [emoji6]

535d / t5 caravelle
I would simply not have the patience for that, it would be on ebay as it is lol, it’s keep at it ?

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
If you scuff the surface of the wrap does it help the steam penetrate and help lift it off??

Obviously only do that if it won't damage the paintwork underneath.

Swift Sport
If you scuff the surface of the wrap does it help the steam penetrate and help lift it off??

Obviously only do that if it won't damage the paintwork underneath.

All the steam really does is soften the glue and the wrap enough for it to peel a little bit... It speeds things up but still takes hours!

Swift Sport
It will be lovely once the wrap is fully removed and the wheels sorted. Just in time for winter..lol

That's kinda why I moved on from the Mk1... I can book winter trackdays and not feel guilty about tracking a 27yr old car, plus I've still got the ST for a bit of variety.

Swift Sport
I'll get the glue off with solvent remover, which my mate who works at a bodyshop gave me.
Wheels are 5x114.3 unfortunately, but I've heard it's a common fitment.
I might keep these wheels for the road and buy some more for trackdays. Either way I should be significantly quicker than I am in my Mk1.

RMDavis

ClioSport Club Member
I have to disagree... A good quality wrap applied buy a competent person looks aweome!

As long as its not some stupid shade of 'chrome purple' draped over a hideous car with cheap wheels.

It's all about the right car and colour combo. Which the MX-5 was definitely not!

Looks much better mate, looking forward to see what you do with this! [emoji1303]

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk