ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

my BG182 FF as she stands

removed the ITG air filter
removed the MADAC exhaust
madac-02.jpg

ordered some new wheels
speedline_2120.jpg

so... i removed the air filter and the exhaust because i was tired of the noise. Under anything bar full throttle, there would be resonances and vibrations from underneath that would screw my hears. Real shame tbh but feels better now. Might buy another one latter as the car now feels coarse above 5k.
then, coming back from holidays i saw a brand new set of Turini's available at a decent price (i was ready to buy some used Ultraleggera's for the same price). after much internal debate and CS comments, i went for silver instead of white, anthracite or... gold. couple of pics after delivery :
turini-01.jpg

turini-04.jpg

turini-03.jpg

they're the same as the Cup ones, meaning I would get a slight increase in track width (ET38.5 instead of ET45). I weighted a wheel at 8.5kg which is halfway between the OEM 16" and the 15" OZ F1. They didn't come with Speeline Corse stickers (good) but without Renault center caps (bad) which i ordered. I'll need to swap tyres from the OEM wheels, will post pics asap

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
How much were the turinis and were they from speed line themselves?

So today i went to the garage which (hopefully, read on) is very close to my house. With only 3 wheel nuts on the right hand drive wheel, it was meant to be a slow and quiet drive. Nonetheless, as soon as i passed 10mph, I head a regular knocking sound coming from the left side. I stopped and checked the wheels but couldn't spot anything and anyway, I didn't take any tool with me.
Considering i was less than a mile away from the garage, I carried on, albeit very slowly.

On arrival, the mechanic checked the right hand wheel holes and said at least two needed attention. Trying his tools on the left hand wheel, he pulled out a nut by hand without trying !
It appears i forgot to tighten the nuts on the left side... He said i was very close to losing both wheels. We checked the wheel inside and it was ok, just a little play that didn't damage it.
He then corrected three holes on the right hand wheel and said i'll probably need longer nuts (maybe coming from the ET difference ?). And then he tightened the nuts on all wheels.

Needless to say i was feeling ashamed as there were other guys in the garage. The guy said i was probably too much in a hurry of fitting the new wheels, can't say the contrary !

still waiting for the wheel center caps as the seller was out of stock. someone else is selling some used original ones for twice the price i'm getting them ! just hope they'll be matching nicely the wheel paint.
some crappy dumb phone pics
image.jpg

brilliant weekend with the Clio on some amazing roads
project_drome-01.jpg

putting some kilometers on it but all in all less than the previous owner so that the car is now at 6k miles/year
project_drome-02.jpg

i still have a not-so-quite-but-nearly-annoying resonance when releasing gas around 4k, it might be coming from the sportcat, any ideas ?

small update here
I finally received the wheels center caps, only to find they won't fit and obviously the color don't match.
So i'm in the classic Speedline-wheels-have-different-caps-than-Speedline-made-for-Renault-wheels story, should have checked earlier as it is well documented here. and yes some are available at 106parts.com but they're 10 quids each, ouch !
Abou the resonance, I think it's coming from the sport cat and was amplified by the exhaust.

The Contrôle Technique (french MOT) was due this month but I had some issues :
- one of the indicator (the one in the headlight) wasn't working and this wasn't a fuse/bulb issue
- one of the new headlights was higher than the other one
- the A/C wouldn't blow any cold air even after a refill
- needed to mount back the rear seats (they have to test the seatbelts)
Then I also bought :
- front and rear wiper blades
- Speedline center wheel caps
- cabin filter

So changed the wiper blades (easy), the cabin filter (where the heck it is located again, ah ok found it) which miraculously solved the A/C problem. Then I put back the rear seats and decided it was nicer (less noise) so I sold the K-tec mat (it went in less than 10 minutes !). Had to put down the whole front bumper to check the indicator issue and it was just a bad connection (1 hour alone for this).
Next day I received the wheel center caps and they wouldn't fit at all. was pretty pissed at the time so had to take the wheels off and file the plastic. Then alas the nice sound of the thing getting into the wheel... I also checked the brake pads and they were all ok, so gave the wheels a clean. Car looks pretty good now imho :
morningfog-08.jpg

And on the next morning I went for the CT and was pleased to hear that they were no default at all.
Still, have to fix an air leaking near the rear exhaust and a noisy front shock on speed bumps...

GavC

ClioSport Club Member
  Black Gold 182FF
Exhaust resonance isn't great with these cars when running without a straight pipe. I briefly straight piped my Milltek as a cheap fix to replace the prior damaged box but the drone at motorway speeds inside the cabin was awful (full interior fitted) so bought a new Milltek centre box to fit again!

Exhaust resonance isn't great with these cars when running without a straight pipe. I briefly straight piped my Milltek as a cheap fix to replace the prior damaged box but the drone at motorway speeds inside the cabin was awful (full interior fitted) so bought a new Milltek centre box to fit again!
I ran a straight pipe a while ago but it wasn't that bad with the OEM cat. I think the noise is coming from the sport cat, what was I thinking when I bought it :smile:

GavC

ClioSport Club Member
  Black Gold 182FF
I ran a straight pipe a while ago but it wasn't that bad with the OEM cat. I think the noise is coming from the sport cat, what was I thinking when I bought it :smile:
It's the lack of sound deadening materials in these cars tbh. BMWs and the like have very thick carpets inside and carpet material in the wheel arches that blocks road noise

It's been a while but recently i planned to sell the car so the belts were done. The mechanic found an half a dent gap on the previous belt job, so now the car isn't more powerful but the engine is a bit smoother and i have less resonance around 3k rpm wich is always a good thing. Recent trips include highway + twisty road and the Clio just feels fantastic on both. I had my first "race" on open roads against a sport bike and to my surprise he couldn't make the time lost in corners in the short straights. Still sweating thinking about it, it was a great time (with all due safety). As a result the front tyres are showing a bit of understeer, I shall check the pressure as they're only half life.
I also removed three parking dings that I was carrying almost since I owned the car (none my responsability), looks much better now. In fact the mechanic and the painter are still raving about its overall condition in and out. Which makes me think it would be a good sell but of course, it makes it very hard to sell it in the end... It's still in need of some TLC, the clucth is starting to show its age during slow speed maneuvers and the A/C is definitely blowing hot air only.
You can see the biggest dings on the passenger door, the other was on the rear three quarter panel (will post recent pics after a wash):
clio182-24.jpg

My mechanic will soon be selling a 106 GTi, I plan to road test it and see what happens... who knows, I might end with the 182 AND the 106 !

small update here
Been thinking about selling the car a thousand times but just can't do it ! The miss doesn't want anything convertible (MX-5, Z3), nor with wings (Impreza, M3s) or just average looking (106 S16, Type R). I thought about a GTV 3.0 but if I get fantastic engine and interior, it's only for a so-so chassis, which is the thing I love the most about the Clio. Recently tried a Puma 1.7 and was impressed, I'm looking for one as a daily driver but it's hard to get it in blue with low mileage and mint condition.
The only thing really annoying being the noise, I'm nearly ready to get a PM exhaust...

Exhaust problem partly solved ! I replaced this aftermarket piece of junk :
BG182_DIY-01.jpg

by an OEM part and this sounds much better :
BG182_DIY-02.jpg

A bit of top end power is also back.
Then I had a flat tyre, caused by this :
BG182_DIY-03.jpg

BG182_DIY-04.jpg

So I used a sealant but then the wheelarch was dirty :
BG182_DIY-12.jpg

Cleaned it...
BG182_DIY-14.jpg

BG182_DIY-15.jpg

Other side as well for good measure
BG182_DIY-16.jpg

and now that the wheels were off, why not clean them after all...
BG182_DIY-17.jpg

BG182_DIY-18.jpg

BG182_DIY-19.jpg

BG182_DIY-20.jpg

BG182_DIY-21.jpg

Well it does look pretty good on the OEM wheels as well !
4x Goodyear F1 make the car more supple and more pleasant to drive. They do give away faster and with less warning than the PS3 but it's more fun.
Sadly the Clio will get a new owner in 2 or 3 weeks. Miss it already...

RS3_20nov-02.jpg

RS3_20nov-03.jpg

RS3_20nov-05.jpg

RS3_20nov-06.jpg

RS3_20nov-09.jpg

RS3_20nov-10.jpg

RS3_20nov-01.jpg