ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My Black Gold 182 - Project 17/27

BG Clio 182
Hi All,

So after a year of ownership and lurking I thought I’d finally start my build thread.

But first, a bit of a back story on why I settled on a 182. After I passed my test 3 months from my 17th birthday I was given a crashed Fiesta from my sister, which lasted 2 months before the exhaust fell off….

Cut to a week later and I’ve bought myself a 1.2 Black Mk2 Clio at an auction. Not much mods other than angel eyes (Sorry not sorry) and 1200W of bass in the boot :D

I loved the car and it lasted a year before I inherited a much newer car for Motorway trips but it was always in my head that I wanted a black gold 182 cup. I love small cars, the exhaust tips on the 182 as well appealed to my inner child and although I didn't realise at the time, I love higher revving N/A engines for smiles. Which is a lesson I’ve learnt after owning a Cupra and a IS200 Sport. Turbo was nice for power but didn't sing, the Lexus sounded good but was underpowered and contrary to every article on the internet. I didn’t enjoy RWD on the car. I love the front wheels pulling you in a corner rather than the arse pushing. Although I can't say I have too much experience with RWD so some more high end motors will probably change my mind in the future.

Fast forward 10 years and at the age of 27, I had a van to live in during the weekdays when at work and wanted something for the weekends.

Hence the name for the project - 17/27 - My friend is a graphics designer so I may commission a tarty sticker.

Cut to the hunt for a 182. I viewed one with 10 owners (Not mentioned in the advert!) and 110 on the mileage which despite a very low and tempting price I walked away.

Then this popped up on eBay.

Few bits of info from the sellers description below:

Cambelt & dephaser £801.23
Alloys refurbed and powder coated £288.00
4x Toyo Proxes T1-R £288.01
4x genuine cup shock absorbers £135.46
Milltek resonated (quieter) exhaust centre section £120.00
Brake calipers rebuilt, new discs on back, new pads all round, new handbrake cables, replaced brake fluid with ATE, replaced power steering fluid, oil, plugs, air filter, oil filter etc. now very well sorted, replacing the shock absorbers transformed the car, no crunching with the gearbox, plenty of other small jobs etc. I was totally focused in how the car drove and handled, I have done 5x trackday evenings, all at Cadwell and it never faltered.

Cambelt & dephaser £801.23
Alloys refurbed and powder coated £288.00
4x Toyo Proxes T1-R £288.01
4x genuine cup shock absorbers £135.46
Milltek resonated (quieter) exhaust centre section £120.00
Brake calipers rebuilt, new discs on back, new pads all round, new handbrake cables, replaced brake fluid with ATE, replaced power steering fluid, oil, plugs, air filter, oil filter etc. now very well sorted, replacing the shock absorbers transformed the car, no crunching with the gearbox, plenty of other small jobs etc. I was totally focused in how the car drove and handled, I have done 5x trackday evenings, all at Cadwell and it never faltered.

After arranging a viewing with the seller, it all went well, he took me out for a drive and let me drive it on the way back. I always say when buying a car I’ll go away and think about it but everything was right.

The seller (Who used to come on this forum, Hi Nick!) kindly offered to pick me up from the train station the next day, transfer sent over job done.

I was also very reassuring to see the seller had purchased a 172 Cup as he enjoyed the 182 but that popped up.

Pics from the original advert:
s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

So after a year (In 3 days time) of ownership here is how she sits now on 123k:

Full Front.jpg

IMG_20200710_213205.jpg

As you can see I haven't done much externally, however here’s a list of things changed:

4 new injectors

1 Genuine Coilpack

1 Fuel rail pipe (I cocked up the install on the old one and split it :’( )

Rear wiper delete

Stubby Aerial (Cheap ebay job that's faded and needs replacing)

Front grill spray painted black (First ever attempt, please don't get close)

Wind deflectors, I put these on every car I own, I love them for their functionality.

4 new speakers, two lows in the back and two mids in the front, just to make it a bit better.

New Plates - These really make the car look a lot newer, another little thing that gives it a bit of a facelift.

As with lockdown I’ve had 6 months extended on the MOT and have a some jobs to do before MOT time, unfortunately I haven't had access to a driveway or my tools in lockdown so couldn't get stuck into this project but this is the list of essential and non essential things I plan on doing to the car

1. Rear spring swapped out - MOT history has had it down as an advisory for the last few years, it looks to be in ok condition but it’d annoy me if it had it down on the MOT as another advisory - ren parts have them for £55 so might snag a pair of them - only the left side needs doing but while I’m in there…
  2. ABS Sensors - If I only drive the car on weekends then no lights on the dash pop up for 3 days, however if I daily the car the Service, ABS and another light come up on the dash - this seems to be common online so I need to figure out which sensors I need to order. I plugged in my OBD reader and no faults came up….
  3. Rear Exhaust mounts, I have one poly one as one was knackered but by the time I went to fit it I realised the other needed changing too...my bad!
  4. Rear Number Plate light swap - the keen eyed amongst you will notice in the pics from now there's a light in the exhaust. I had just got back from a spirited drive across the tops and it had fallen out. The old one was clouded so it has convinced me to swap it out.
  5. Turinis need ordering, message me people if you have a set of grey ones - not buckled and cheap please - preferably round Manchester!
  6. Seats - I do think the stock seats are comfortable but I absolutely love the look of the Recaros in the Trophy.. I’ve set up an alert on ebay for that model of Recaro but I equally love the Corbeau Sportline RRB so I may end up caving and getting those.
  7. Steering wheel - another tarty mod but I have a childhood dream of owning a car with a quick release steering wheel for security.
  8. Splitter adding on - the current bumper has a massive crack init and I have a fabia splitter I’ve butchered that needs adding on - but I’m tempted to turn the cracked one into a track day one with a dumb splitter.
  9. Rear quarter rust treatment - its bubbling on the outside and a blister popped off, I have new BG paint to spray over, just need to figure out which type of sandpaper to use before application.
  10. Gear knob - The old gear indicator was worn so I bought what was expected to be an OEM style insert but it arrived and was chrome, I’ll be swapping that out soon as it looks a bit poo imo.
If you’ve read till the end then thanks for reading. It's not the perfect example but she's mine and unless she gets crashed or nicked I’ll be keeping her for the future.

BG Clio 182
Always nice to see another BG getting some love👍. I've had mine 4 years now, double any other car I've ever owned!
The longest I've had a car is 18months, I hope this is in the fleet for years to come. I absolutely love it. Crazy how such a simple recipe can work so well.

BG Clio 182
Little updates:
Replaced the rear number plate light, looks tons better!!

Rear Light 1.jpg

Rear Light 2.jpg

I cleaned the door handles with elbow grease (the name of the product recommended on here, seems to have taken off the layer of sticky stuff but the overall colour isnt perfect, not sure if I should paint them but I'm not too keen on the spray can gloss look.

Interior Plastics (2).jpg

Just need to take the big piece off in the middle now and get that cleaned then all done here!

Exhuast Mounts done, the powerflex one was a present and I'm not too far from a Clio breakers who sells the mounts and inserts as one unit. I wanted to see how they compared but really, I'd just recommend the whole units, this is probably due to my vice being a bit too small to shove the powerflex in easily. I took advice online and used some grease but it still took some elbow grease too!

Exhaust  (1).jpg

Exhaust  (2).jpg

I also went to betws y coed, it would have been rude to go and not have a quick drive around the Evo Triangle.

IMG_20200724_170844.jpg

IMG_20200724_165923.jpg

Cook Sport Springs have arrived and will be fitted soon. Currently in the process of moving house with the Clio being an hour away from my driveway and tools.

Hit 123,000 miles too, still really enjoying Project 17/27!

Attachments

• Interior Plastics (1).jpg
    Interior Plastics (1).jpg
    896.7 KB · Views: 102
  BG Clio 182
So another little update.

I managed to get 4 Gold Turinis that look great but with damage to one alloy, I thought I could get it repaired but no one will touch it....

Not too sure where to go with this purchase!

I did secure a retrimmed wheel off eBay for a fair price too which I'm happy with.

I had a few months of trouble-free motoring till it all went a bit pear-shaped.

A cancelled trip to Wales later and it's now had the following
Brembo Front Disks and Pads
Cook Sport springs on the front and rear.
Miltek Decat pipe
Bearing replaced both sides.
ABS Sensors on both sides

I wish that was the end of the issues but the rear disks and pads need doing now too and I'm still getting the 3 lights for ABS popping up on the dash

It's also developed a rather lumpy idle and seems to be getting very hot after being on it for a while.

The clutch is going soft and the coolant is bubbling but the internal temp is sticking slap bang in the middle.

Anyway, here are some more pics of recent adventures.
Spot1.jpg
Steering Wheel.jpg

I went with the Black sticker over the white caps as the old ones looked a bit worse for wear.

Turini 1.jpg
Turini 2.jpg