ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My Black Gold (no)mod thread

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
These bloody sea gulls need to bugger off! I was greeted this morning to a massive bird s**t on my rear window, so another wash was in order. And as usual I can't get away with leaving her car filthy, even if my quick wash did miss a rather large portion on one side:laughing:. While I was at it I decided to give my tailpipes a polish as they had gotten rather black. One advantage to having a 182 with a saggy backbox is its easy to polish the tips. It now looks shiny and s**t though so that's gonna have to get sorted.
As every journey to work seems to be in a traffic jam I noticed that my brake lights did'nt seem to be working. Further investigation revealed that they did work, but only with a firm push on the peddle. Obviousley that would make me look like a woman driver, doing an emergency stop every time traffic nudged forward. YouTube came to the rescue as it seems this is a common clio problem easily fixed by adjusting the plunger on the swithc above the brake peddle. Job jobbed:up:.

I've had a think of things that I want to do with the car this year and lots of little things have been identified to sort. So here goes:
Things that NEED doin first.
1, Service is due so it's going to my local garage. I want all the fluids changing as I 've no idea when this may have happened previousley.
2, ABS pump needs replacing to sort the low speed ABS pulsing. This will be done at the service.
3, Check front suspension and steering for wear prior to MOT in March.
4, That bloody saggy exhaust needs fixing and a slight leak sorting.
5, Tracking needs doing as steering wheel is off to the left. Must do this before new tyres go on, which won't be far off.
Now things that I want to do to improve the car a bit.
1, A good machine polish to show how good or bad the paint really is. There's a plethora of stone chips that need sorting too. I've never felt the inclination to polish a car, even the Integrale but this little clio has gotten under my skin so it will get some attention.
2, Interior debobble and clean.
3, Stop the annoying squeak thats in my ear from the door. I dunno what it is but it drives me barmy!
4, Stop the rattle from the rear. I think this may be the arch liner where its not screwed to the bumper properly.
5, Decide what to do with the wheels. They are in need of a refurb but I want to add some colour to the car but I dont think it would suit the 182 wheels. Turinis this year then? Or do I try to complete my R19 set and paint those?
6, Spacers will be needed then!
7, Steering wheel and gearknob are worn . Anyone know if the round metal Megane RS knob will fit?
8, Scenic shifter or PMS? Hmmm.
9, DAB radio as our local stations are s**t.
10, Speaker upgrade. I hoovered the car last week and some white fluffy stuff came out of the passenger side speaker grill! I'll investigate that one day.
11, Some dash parts are going a little bit sticky. Time for some more carbonfibre?
12, New mats needed.
13, New door bullits needed asa the carbon ones are chipped.:weary:
14, Replace the broken wind deflectors?
15, Replace the scratched windscreen?
16, Fix the passenger wing mirror which does'nt demist.
17, Clean and tart up engine bay. Can't have a fancy battery cover in a grubby bay now can we!

Well, that's a fair chunk longer than I expected it to be, and I'm sure more will be added! I'll try to remember to update this as things get ticked off the list. This is going to be a good clio year:smiley:

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
:laughing: Yeah but at least most of it is little jobs. Just remembered I need new number plates too, just need to decide if I want to put my personal reg on or not.

1, Service is due so it's going to my local garage. I want all the fluids changing as I 've no idea when this may have happened previousley.

Do it yourself? Easy!

2, ABS pump needs replacing to sort the low speed ABS pulsing. This will be done at the service.

Maybe not do the service yourself if your having this done

3, Check front suspension and steering for wear prior to MOT in March.

If it feels fine, let the MOT answer that one

4, That bloody saggy exhaust needs fixing and a slight leak sorting.

Another easy fix!

5, Tracking needs doing as steering wheel is off to the left. Must do this before new tyres go on, which won't be far off.

Drive to a garage, pay, leave, done.

Now things that I want to do to improve the car a bit.
1, A good machine polish to show how good or bad the paint really is. There's a plethora of stone chips that need sorting too. I've never felt the inclination to polish a car, even the Integrale but this little clio has gotten under my skin so it will get some attention.

One afternoon

2, Interior debobble and clean.

One morning

3, Stop the annoying squeak thats in my ear from the door. I dunno what it is but it drives me barmy!

Rear door card? Could be absolutely anything, get someone to sit in the back while you drive

4, Stop the rattle from the rear. I think this may be the arch liner where its not screwed to the bumper properly.

Secure arch liner. See if you've solved it

5, Decide what to do with the wheels. They are in need of a refurb but I want to add some colour to the car but I dont think it would suit the 182 wheels. Turinis this year then? Or do I try to complete my R19 set and paint those?

No loud colours are required here

6, Spacers will be needed then!

Agreed regardless of wheel colour

7, Steering wheel and gearknob are worn . Anyone know if the round metal Megane RS knob will fit?

Don't see why not

8, Scenic shifter or PMS? Hmmm.

PMS will be top notch and save you getting a Megane RS knob

9, DAB radio as our local stations are s**t.

Just use your right foot for noise

10, Speaker upgrade. I hoovered the car last week and some white fluffy stuff came out of the passenger side speaker grill! I'll investigate that one day.

The speaker grills just pop off, look for the recess cut outs near the bottom and take a look

11, Some dash parts are going a little bit sticky. Time for some more carbonfibre?

Soft touch plastics wear and all do this. Replace them. Carbon has been and gone these days IMO

12, New mats needed.

Renault Parts Direct, non RS mats are a bargain

13, New door bullits needed asa the carbon ones are chipped.:weary:

Sprayshack or OE ones

14, Replace the broken wind deflectors?

Remove them and if you miss them buy some more

15, Replace the scratched windscreen?

Pay your insurance excess

16, Fix the passenger wing mirror which does'nt demist.

Replacement glass or check connections

17, Clean and tart up engine bay. Can't have a fancy battery cover in a grubby bay now can we!

Will take some time to do this but make sure everything is clean and prepped properly before painting

Longest quote i've ever done...

Sj1782

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi s3 8p
We want mods! It's only a matter of time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Had a fiddle with the brake pedal switch yesterday and managed to solve the stability/serv light fault. Cruise control is now working again too.
New wheels should be here this weekend, just gotta decide on a colour now!

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
Had a fiddle with the brake pedal switch yesterday and managed to solve the stability/serv light fault. Cruise control is now working again too.
New wheels should be here this weekend, just gotta decide on a colour now!

Come on then, what wheels are they?

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
I thought you'd have shifted those by now. What happened to getting rid for some 2118's?

For a couple of reasons I've just not had the time to get them sorted in all honesty. Lost all motivation for it over Christmas and that as well, slowly getting it back so things will be getting sorted.

Hoping to get everything I want to get done before CSF, then I'm wanting to look for a Megane 225 or Focus ST.

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
For a couple of reasons I've just not had the time to get them sorted in all honesty. Lost all motivation for it over Christmas and that as well, slowly getting it back so things will be getting sorted.

Hoping to get everything I want to get done before CSF, then I'm wanting to look for a Megane 225 or Focus ST.
Get a megane 230. Do not get a focus. Or just get Dan to meg the bean. Then you won't have to sell all those wheels you're hoarding. [emoji38]

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Cars gone for a service and pre mot check. Abs pump also being changed so fingers crossed it sorts that little issue out.
I think I figured out why it's been sketchy it the wet recently. Seems PS3's aren't that good when low, very low. Think I'll bang some rainsport's on for mot then switch to the 15's for summer.

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
New abs pump fitted and after half a day trying to bleed the brakes I got the call all was ok. ABS works when it should and not when it should'nt, car stops dead straight, brilliant. NS front pads are more worn than OS indicating a sticking caliper so that needs sorting. Mot check up done and all ok after new clip on a boot and a new no. plate bulb. All good. Except it's not. Picked the car up and all felt ok but by the time I got home the brake pedal was almost on the floor before any braking happened. Garage not open until monday so it's sat til then. 😢

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Car spent most of Monday in the garage again. More air came out of the brakes but the emergency stop method wasn't cutting it. Pedal still not as it should be. Had to use the car for work last night and coming home something was making a grumbling noise. I stopped just off the motorway and front passenger wheel was warm yo the touch. Seems my slightly sticking caliper is now very stuck. Great.
1f7e6857a560ebdb9a038adfd918c9d8.jpg
there's a large portion of my brake pad on my previously clean wheel!
Are the calipers easy to refurb? I hope so because I've ordered seals piston etc from biggred. Suppose I'll be skipping some ot this weekend too[emoji4]

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Car dropped off at DDC for front calipers refurbishment and hopefully a full bleed of the system. I've done about 60 miles in my car in the last 3 weeks and I'm missing it badly!

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
Sounds like your having a right old mare with the car ATM, didn't really think the ABS pump failed on these.

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Sounds like your having a right old mare with the car ATM, didn't really think the ABS pump failed on these.
To be fair the abs pump has been playing up since I got the car and didn't necessarily need replacing, it was more of an annoyance than a problem. Other than that I've only had a couple of issues in my first year of ownership so I'm not complaining too much!

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Might do pal. I need to find time to get the tracking done before my tyres run out of tread as mot is due April.
Sound. I'm still undecided as I wanted to buy some new tyres myself, although the dyno run isn't expensive. If you need to borrow a cat for MOT give me a shout.

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers pal, I'm running with a cat now as eml light was doing my head in! Exhaust got a bit quieter with it on, still not sure if that's good or bad though.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Cheers pal, I'm running with a cat now as eml light was doing my head in! Exhaust got a bit quieter with it on, still not sure if that's good or bad though.
My cats on now, and the gf would prefer it to stay on because of the sound. It's still fairly loud, but there's a lot more induction noise. Not sure which I like more! Still sounds good, but not as raspey, with the added benefit of not having any petrol smells in the car. Summer is decat time though, so will probably be refitted ;)

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
They look shite on the ebay ad, but aren't too bad in person. Soon get blacked up with carbon, are due a good polish! It's also not shiny anymore... :(

Sj1782

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi s3 8p
I'm happy to do a swap for free [emoji23][emoji56]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk