ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My brakes are still s**t! HELP!

Paddy_g46

ClioSport Club Member
i got rid of the mintex extrme pads which were b****cks and fitted some halfords forodo pads, i also bled the brakes but they are back to being s**t again, at about 15 mph if u hit the brakes its like the pads and discs are made of ice! you really have 2 jump on them to do anything, at high speeds they work ok-ish but when in slow traffic im nearly bumped into the back off ppl a few times just because the car keeps going even with the brakes applied!

EDIT: I HAVE BREMBO MAX DICS BTW

340i
I had this problem on my car mate..

Tried bleeding the brakes 3 or 4 times they would work well for a few days then just go back to being pants again

It turned out the master brake cylinder was nackered, i replcaed that and the brakes were mega sharp again :D

Paddy_g46

ClioSport Club Member
Re: My brakes are still s**t! HELP!

Tried bleeding the brakes 3 or 4 times they would work well for a few days then just go back to being pants again

It turned out the master brake cylinder was nackered, i replcaed that and the brakes were mega sharp again :D

yeh thats what im getting, about 2 good days then shite! lol is replacing the master cylinder a big job? what is that taht goes wrong with it?

Ph2 Clio 172

Did you allow them to bed in? You may have glazed the pad surface, do they squeal?

I havent had a look at the master cylinder on the 172 yet but make sure if there are any bleed nipples on it that you bleed those too

Hope you find a solution!

Paddy_g46

ClioSport Club Member

Did you allow them to bed in? You may have glazed the pad surface, do they squeal?

I havent had a look at the master cylinder on the 172 yet but make sure if there are any bleed nipples on it that you bleed those too

Hope you find a solution!

no they dont squeal, i let them bed in for about 100 miles, then i gave them a bit of abuse, not hammered them like,

Sunflower & Golf Mk6 BMT
Remove the pads, inspect them, then give them a light sanding and clean with a de-greaser. This might work if you have glased the pads by not letting them bed in.

Do you give your disc's a good clean before you fitted them as normaly the manufacters coat them in oil to stop them rusting before fitting.

RS Clio 200

With new pads & discs etc, your supposed to let them bed in for a few hundred miles.

not strictly true....

The whole theory of bedding in the brakes is to complete 2 objectives:

1) to place a layer of pad compound onto the surface of the disc
2) to heat the pad to an extent that the binding chemicals are baked out

you can do this in 15 minutes, with a series of stops.
Personall i do 21 runs - 7x 60-0, 7x 70-0 and 7x 80-0. Between each set of 7, drive for a mile or two to allow the brakes to cool, then move onto the next set. During the sets the brakes will appear to fade, but keep going through this.

Its also something that is not just done once in ure brakes life! I do it every couple of months, and before every track day, as the layer of pad compound on the disc can reduce with differnet usage over time.

340i

yeh thats what im getting, about 2 good days then s**te! lol is replacing the master cylinder a big job? what is that taht goes wrong with it?

Well it wasnt an easy job... drain the whole braking system then reomove the old cylinder the position of it is the most annoying thing TBH!

after that its a case of new brake fluid bleed all the brakes then bleed again a few days later just to make sure all air is out of the system.

Well thats what i did anyway.

Paddy_g46

ClioSport Club Member

mine is a hybrid so that should be the right part?
Depends what you mean by right?

The Williams had a redesigned master clyinder (funny realy as its the same apart from that braking wise).

Do you have ABS?

no abs, i have just gone and given the pads a hard bedding in down the industrial estate, on the wya i got them nice and hot doing 60mph stops and when i got there i did a few 60-70mph to stops, after maybe 6-8 rusn the pads faded so i stopped, i got out and checked them and they were smoking and smelt very hot lol, anyway i drove around using no brakes 2 cool them after 10 minutes i did this again until they started to fade and again they were smoking, iv now just driven home and tried not to use my brakes and iv left the car outside 2 cool down. already the pads feel alot gripier! but there is a very small grinding feeling now,but its hardly noticebale.

Glad its worked out a proper beddding in those Ferrdo stock pads are superb realy.

Paddy_g46

ClioSport Club Member

Glad its worked out a proper beddding in those Ferrdo stock pads are superb realy.

thanks for the help, appreciated :)
was it ok that they were smoking and stinking? also will they be good from cold now aswell as hot?

was it ok that they were smoking and stinking? also will they be good from cold now aswell as hot?

Will be fine I used to bed mine in just the same.

Should be good from cold all the time them pads. FDB845 arn't they?

Paddy_g46

ClioSport Club Member

Will be fine I used to bed mine in just the same.

Should be good from cold all the time them pads. FDB845 arn't they?

forodo premiers mate, not sure on the code. well im off on an airport run now so ill see how the pads are holding up! if you dont hear from me again you will know what went wrong ;)

Paddy_g46

ClioSport Club Member
thanks alot edde the brakes are so much better now! i dont feel so worried now when im driving along! lol