ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My cat is knackered - is a decat worth it?

Hi

172 cup, with a standard back box, no middle box, and a knackered cat. Looking at options to swap the cat out.

Don't want to spend a fortune, and probably won't be doing any huge mods in the future.

I have a friendly MOT guy who would ignore my de-cat when the time comes.

If I get a de-cat, will it mess with any sensors? And how hard are they to fit?

Other option is a new non-original cat for £90 from eBay. I really don't want to spend £180 on an original.

If I get a decat, will the time it takes to make it fit, just make it the same as a cat for £90?

Any advice appreciated :)

Decat = no lambda, seems to be pot luck whether or not you get the warning light on the dash (Emissions).

Doesn't seem to be worth doing imo, just buy a cat from here, can get one for £90 easily I'd expect.

cats2u.co.uk do new cats for not too much money if you wanted a new cat.
Decat means you can have an overrun map if that's your thing. You can get sleeved/spaced decats that still fit the lambda sensor i think, put out of the gas-stream, so no warning light.

180 for an original cat? new? Bargain! They're over 2.6 THOUSAND POUNDS from renault.

CursedTitanium 182FF
I have this, £50 posted
20130716_181833_zpsacd1f0e6.gif

Fiesta ST2 MP215
Go for a Decat, You'll need a cat incase Vosa find you and order a retest, mot the next year, but it's worth it for £60. for the Lamda sensor just get a big metal tie and tie it around the decat itself, lights never come on then.

Fiesta ST2 MP215
What system do you have on the car? Check Ebay too, Scorpion one I bought was £67 and they still are now.

Fiesta ST2 MP215
in that case any 172 Decat will fit, saying that I just checked ebay and there are none wtf is up with that, a 172 Owner is required in case they are different, I know the Manifold is but someone will be along soon with advice.

Smash out the inners of your cat get any welding done if any is needed. Hey presto decat with the looks of a cat = mot friendly or just decat and throw the mot guy a few quid to get it passed ;)