ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My Cherry Red 1.2 mk2 ph2 Clio (FIRST CAR)

M90SR

ClioSport Club Member
Getting started on the BIG 3 UPGRADE first of all got my 0 AWG wire for my ground and the superb 0 AWG terminals!
For those who don't know the Big 3 upgrade is a wiring upgrade in the car audio world which basically means that the alternator ground and positive, and the battery ground are upgraded to thicker gauge wire. This is to allow more current to flow from the alternator to your battery.

Got myself 2 ring terminals, 0 AWG wire and a battery terminal. (This for the battery ground only)
This is a good kit if your thinking of upgrading your battery ground.
Links:
Ring Terminals: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/380800231440?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2648&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
0 AWG wire: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400738953997?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
Battery Terminal: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191343237274?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
The finished product should come out like this (varies depending on how long you want your ground, ideally it should be as short as possible):
IMG_8366_zps18bc21a6.jpg

IMG_8367_zpsc1af72eb.jpg

IMG_8368_zpsc297c314.jpg

The ring terminals I have used do not crimp the cable they clamp it. This is not always as robust as crimping it but as you can see these terminals look strong as f**k and in this scenario work fine. If you want to solder these terminals you will need:
- Blow torch
- Solder
Basically put the top of the terminal in a vice and heat the base of it. When it gets hot enough allow the solder to melt inside and allow it to fill up. Once it is filled up push the wire in and allow the terminal to cool down. Be careful not to burn the insulation on the wire!!

Last edited:

M90SR

ClioSport Club Member
Slight update got rid of the front plate. Looks much better, going to get a small one on the side similar to jap or like an evo style numberplate. Getting the front smoothed but for now it will remain without a numberplate.

IMG_94052_zps9pruiwsm.jpg

Clio Mk2,Mazda3sport
Was chatting to you at css14 and youwere ssaying about colour coding yours looks alot better now are you going this year I am and funny enough colour coding my trims start next month

Clio 2005 MK2
Your car looks great man! I have the same colour clio, 2005 mk2 1.2, and i'm wondering how much it cost to get all the plastic black trims colour matched and resprayed to match the rest of the car?

Listerine & Poledo
Your car looks great man! I have the same colour clio, 2005 mk2 1.2, and i'm wondering how much it cost to get all the plastic black trims colour matched and resprayed to match the rest of the car?
Roughly 90% of the book-value of the car

Clio Mk2,Mazda3sport
Gandy0511 said:
Agree with previous comments I had mine done on older clio and small rust repair and door handles ect sprayed and paid 600 buy I recon for a decent job from decent sprayer 500+ can see mine on my writeup

Last edited:

M90SR

ClioSport Club Member
Agree with previous comments I had mine done on older clio and small rust repair and door handles ect sprayed and paid 600 buy I recon for a decent job from decent sprayer 500+ can see mine on my writeup
Sorry for late reply dude! Havent checked CS in a while :)
A lot has changed since CS and yeah will deffo be heading up this year.
Your gonna love your car even more after the colour coding. My door handles are still being done (primer stage) thats pretty much the last thing.

M90SR

ClioSport Club Member
Your car might be flame red dude don't think I have seen a 55 plate cherry red clio. It cost me £400 to get the wheels, trim and whole drivers side and bumper resprayed. However there are marks where the sprayer 'forgot' to spray. Although its just some scratches.

Clio Mk2,Mazda3sport
Ah thats prob why because cheaper but Deffiently worth the improvement it makes did you replace your rear trims around parcle shelf?

M90SR

ClioSport Club Member
Ah thats prob why because cheaper but Deffiently worth the improvement it makes did you replace your rear trims around parcle shelf?
Contacted someone on here but never got a response. Might go scrappy to get them.
I want to get sport interior for mine but have no idea what to with my old interior. Even if I let the whole thing go for £40 don't think anyone would buy it 😧

Clio Mk2,Mazda3sport
Yea I was thinking od doing a same but u only need seats o thought I presumed mostthe plastics are all the same on them and non sports although my plastics are a light light grey beinga ph1

M90SR

ClioSport Club Member
Yea I was thinking od doing a same but u only need seats o thought I presumed mostthe plastics are all the same on them and non sports although my plastics are a light light grey beinga ph1
The door cards seem darker and the fabric is suede. Can get the whole interior just cant shift the old one I dont think

Clio Mk2,Mazda3sport
Ah didn't know that if u can pick up a gopd interior you should do it I want to do mine but means a dash swap which might be tricky and little wiring and no airbags

1.2 16v Mk2 Ph2
Very good progress, we basically have the same car! I have just started modding it e.g. colour coding, tinted windows, looking to do something with the alloys and seeing your plastidipped ones I may take a look at this, did you do it yourself? was it hard? Also my alloys have some pretty bad scratches/dints, would this change anything?

M90SR

ClioSport Club Member
Very good progress, we basically have the same car! I have just started modding it e.g. colour coding, tinted windows, looking to do something with the alloys and seeing your plastidipped ones I may take a look at this, did you do it yourself? was it hard? Also my alloys have some pretty bad scratches/dints, would this change anything?
I dipped them myself not to difficult. Costs about £50 from car dip UK buy 4 cans and use one on each wheel don't use one at a time other wise the pressure dies down and you get different results. The plasti dip is self leveling paint so dont worry about over spray.

The wheels have been abused to high heavens and the plasti dip is still on there only minor scratches. It will show the scratches on the alloy but it wont be as bad. The longer you take the better the outcome so take your time. I did it in a mates garage and drove home straight after painting (literally), it was raining and he lives in the country and the wheels came out fine. They were sprayed about September 2013 :)

1.2 16v Mk2 Ph2
Hi, what type of paint did you use on your alloys? there are lots of different kinds and i'm a pure noob at this and need help!

M90SR

ClioSport Club Member
Hi, what type of paint did you use on your alloys? there are lots of different kinds and i'm a pure noob at this and need help!
Depends which alloys your talking about. If its the ones I got with it then its Plasti dip if its the 172 alloys pictured above then they were sprayed by the spray guy ahaha if that helps.
The colour is BMW black from a 2008 3 series BMW.

Are you planning on spraying them yourself?

1.2 16v Mk2 Ph2
Depends which alloys your talking about. If its the ones I got with it then its Plasti dip if its the 172 alloys pictured above then they were sprayed by the spray guy ahaha if that helps.
The colour is BMW black from a 2008 3 series BMW.

Are you planning on spraying them yourself?

The first alloys you plastidipped, yeah I'm looking to spray them myself as they are fucked and can't afford a refurb haha

M90SR

ClioSport Club Member
UPDATE!!
Never planned on upgrading the interior to the sport one but some cheeky haggling and got some 172 half leathers for next to nothing the condition is superb! few kinks but who can complain!

IMG_0263_zpsx9uxwok9.jpg

at night
IMG_0269_zpsaaebcoaa.jpg

IMG_0271_zpsgvvlxgis.jpg

Looks lovely!

M90SR

ClioSport Club Member
Questions about the seats:

A) how do you get creases out? specifically one of my headrests
B) my passenger side seat doesn't latch onto the runners (the cable for it has lost tension and wont latch properly)
C) theres some sensor which goes into the runners on the driver side. I think its the seat position sensor but I broke it not sure how serious it is. Think I can live without it cant I?

M90SR

ClioSport Club Member
Update time!
So I have a Halloween special for you guys!
I have built a boot build for my Clio. I decided to do this because I got used to the fact of not having my rear seats installed and I dont think I'll ever need them really.
Another reason for the build is so I can hide all my ICE (Amplifiers, Subwoofers and Audio processor) under it so I can park where ever I want without worry someone might nick £1200+ worth of ICE shizzle.

So lets start off with the boot
IMG_0661_zpsjgymmdmv.jpg

I had some carpet covering it but I wasn't happy with that...
So the plan was to create this (mocked up using scrap pieces of conti-board):
IMG_0662_zpsvutybdhe.jpg

Ignore the measurements:
d9734bfb-057e-4054-a601-b00f075eff7f_zps0arzehx9.jpg

So to begin I needed to make a sub frame for my floor to sit on and be secured to. This will also allow my amplifier and sub woofer to have some breathing space.
I used card board to make templates for the wood. Especially for the odd curves Renault have in there boots.
IMG_0663_zpsih6ypwxy.jpg

Then it was to cut the wood I can't remember exactly what I used but next time I go B&Q I'll check.
IMG_0666_zpsz31l70o7.jpg

Now using the template to shape the end of the wood (I used a jig-saw):
IMG_0670_zpsnanuz4cy.jpg

Test fit and both fit nice and snug! (after hours of adjustment and tons of swearing)
IMG_0671_zpskvw6nngl.jpg

Now to add the two centre support beams:
IMG_0672_zpstk6vto3p.jpg

After its all screwed together..
IMG_0674_zpsacuqmkqx.jpg

After putting back the sub frame into the car I needed to start making the template for the two side panels.
Card board works nicely but is a bit messy:
IMG_0675_zpsfmoj8vcb.jpg

After a recent trip to B&Q an attendant was kind enough to let me have pick at the scrap wood supply.
I found some board which was thin enough to cut but still stiff enough so it wouldn't snap. This is good because I can transfer my template from cardboard to wood making it more durable to the fine tuning process.

Fast forward both sides done
IMG_0678_zpsbu98ssbf.jpg

Next thing was to see if it all still looked nice, so I did another mock up:
IMG_0679_zpsiivfqesf.jpg

Still on track!
Now for some more fine tuning!
IMG_0683_zpsjne7df58.jpg

I then set out cutting the actual pieces. I used 3/4 inch MDF for this build, cheap and easy to work with!
IMG_0721_zpsefwklyey.jpg

Fast forward past all the faffing for the centre piece...
IMG_0723_zpsvmzclz3s.jpg

Now to make the doors all I need to do is cut the panel in sort of half
IMG_0728_zpsyoxweukx.jpg

I wanted to make a handle at the end of the door to make it easier to pull up so "heres one I made earlier"
IMG_0729_zpsedhsz6pd.jpg

Now for carpeting!!!
IMG_0758_zpszprp1rut.jpg

The centre section was done first so any adjustment can be made to the two side pieces so they fit better. Rather than carpeting the whole thing and finding out it don't fit...

Once it was fitting properly the rest of the carpet was installed. Now this is not finished still got plenty of sub frame work to do but this it for now.
Oh yeah the reason one panel looks different is because the grain of the carpet is facing the wrong way in real life it doesn't look that bad.
Also the pic was taken in the dark, will take another one tomorrow!

IMG_1624_zpsov1kdmoc.jpg

M90SR

ClioSport Club Member
Now another surprise my custom spare wheel sub woofer box!

First the design, needs to fit into my spare wheel well with extra space to fit some break down supplies (tire inflator and high vis jacket etc..)
The box also needs to be a suitable volume for my subwoofer which is really old and is due replacement anytime soon but its so reliable that I dont really want to change it yet. Still play hard since day 1 15 or so years ago.
Anyways the box volume looks like it will only be 0.6cu ft and ideally it needs to be 1cu ft so I am not expecting anything magical from this setup.

Card board template of wheel well:
IMG_1441_zpslk5as9w8.jpg

Decided to extend the box to make it bigger for that extra internal volume.
IMG_1442_zpsil3enc6c.jpg

Because the spare tire well has a 8mm bolt sticking through it I decided to drill a hole into the wood for it to sit in. Allowing me to bolt it down for safety in case I accidentally roll my car.
Test fit:
IMG_1445_zpskickjxjh.jpg

Cut some squares for the sides to help get that round shape.
IMG_1461_zpsunwt2ozb.jpg

Used the base as a template to cut the top piece so now another test fit:
IMG_1460_zpsvonn61kn.jpg

I then realised I didnt like how the box looked so decided to make it slightly more like the original template intended:
IMG_1462_zpszdhbebel.jpg

New length is way better as it sits flush with my subframe
Next step was to make the cut outs for the input terminals and the 3" port
The port was being painted so ignore the fact it is grey everything is going to be sprayed black or carpeted in the end.
IMG_1465_zpsox1cffc0.jpg

Now onto the more interesting bit the actual box build
Positioning the side pieces making it easier for me to glue them considering I was doing all this by eye and without any plans...
IMG_1468_zpsamqpbhlp.jpg

Glue stage 1 the base:
IMG_1469_zpsagiqz5st.jpg

While I waited for the glue to dry I put everything together to see how it would look:
IMG_1471_zpsl97bfhmd.jpg

Glue stage 2 the sides:
IMG_1493_zpsfcgcndb9.jpg

I then decided I want the box to be taller so I set about cutting a section I can attach to the top. All about them internal volume gains!
So I sealed what I could in the box first:
IMG_1499_zps2hr7szkc.jpg

Then to add the bit I made on top
IMG_1500_zpsu3j2vmuo.jpg

I then free hand cut a hole for the sub which came out really perfect!! Then it was a quick test fit into the spare wheel well to see how it fits.
Fast forward ahead to when it is basically done all sealed (without carpet installed yet) and put installed in the boot :)
IMG_1521_zpspwvycc2m.jpg

Installed:
IMG_1526_zpsavyluyi6.jpg

IMG_1528_zpsvofhafpk.jpg

547c39b8-4fc0-4266-afb2-d7aeb31f526b_zps6yclqvig.jpg

Thats about it still need to finish it off but its pretty much done.

M90SR

ClioSport Club Member
I planned on keeping this car forever.. oh how plans change.
Putting it back to stock in July to give to a friend of mine for her to use as her first car. It will eventully return back to me give it a couple years and I will see it some days. Don't want it going to some 17 old boy racer whos gonna rag it around, thats my job!
Having sold my Dyanmique wheels I thought I'd better hunt down another set.
Found these guys on eBay for £60 not bad considering they had 3mm thread tyres.
IMG_2654_zpsblqkbil7.jpg

I realized the tyres weren't anything wonderful so I got rid of them and decided to make a start on prepping them for a refurb and respray.
Tyres and weights removed:
IMG_2655_zpsbutggngq.jpg

Probably continue with it later when the weather decides to improve.

M90SR

ClioSport Club Member
Can't she buy another car and you keep this one? Seems a lot of work to just give away.

I'm presuming you have other car/cars?

Personally I don't think this would sell for anything worth my while hence the giving it to her and her giving it back to me.
I got a mk4 golf GTi sitting in the garage waiting to be used. Its time for a change mainly because of power.
I'll be going from 75hp to 230bhp or something so should be fun.

Things I shall be removing that may be up for sale:

- 172 Alloys (W/ 2x new Michelin PS3)
- Xenons
- Tints
- Boot build
- Speakers
- Headunit
- Door sills
- Private Plate
- 25mm Spacers
- Wind deflectors

Unfortunately I am not old enough to ensure 2 cars otherwise this would continue to be the run around 😧

M90SR

ClioSport Club Member
The cars days as it stands (before it gets put back to stock) are numbered so will be posting the best of, to remember her. My awesome first car :cry:
First throwback CS 2015 my first track day:

DSC_4481_zpshq5yznfm.jpg

DSC_4540_zpsn7rre7yx.jpg

DSC_4539_zpsyua2p7xx.jpg

Got one more to follow (my profile pic one) as that's my favourite that was taken on the day just need to upload it.

Clio Mk2,Mazda3sport
Just read all your updated posts and be a shame to see you leaving the clio scene after all thar work you should deffiently get a sport One day

M90SR

ClioSport Club Member
@D4nny unfortunately the insurance of clio 172 and 182 is insanely stupid money in my current situation. 200 is affordable but I'll see later about getting one (after a storm grey one). Will deffo have a 182 track car in the future but for now I to drive something more powerful as I feel the need to progress. This particular Clio will return back to me in due coarse but who knows how many years before that will happen.

M90SR

ClioSport Club Member
I was practicing some camera techniques using my iPhone and edited together this little clip of the car. Came out pretty good considering I filmed for 30 mins on a friday evening with 6% battery life.

Clio Mk2,Mazda3sport
@D4nny unfortunately the insurance of clio 172 and 182 is insanely stupid money in my current situation. 200 is affordable but I'll see later about getting one (after a storm grey one). Will deffo have a 182 track car in the future but for now I to drive something more powerful as I feel the need to progress. This particular Clio will return back to me in due coarse but who knows how many years before that will happen.

Yeah I see your issue insurance is the biggest pain ever hopefully won't be too long until you get another clio or this back

Mavez

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio & No Megane
Not a fan of the whole ICE scene but like the woodworking, great work fella! excellent project.

M90SR

ClioSport Club Member
Not a fan of the whole ICE scene but like the woodworking, great work fella! excellent project.
In terms of ICE I am in it for the crisp clean audio. I have been through the 'take your back seats out, put 2 speakers as big as the car and put immense power through them' phase.
I have matured onto getting the highest sound quality as possible, the sub box in wheel well was handy because I can load the back of the car and not have to worry about loosing my bass.

M90SR

ClioSport Club Member
Shes gone now. Been a wonderful journey, but time to part ways.
The journeys this car has been on and the encounters it has made. Starting out as a wreck then going through the changes corresponding to my mood swings.
From big bass to track days, shes done it all.
Even engine swapped her, now thats what I call proper bonding.
Taught me everything I knew about cars since I was 16.
I saw more than just a wrecked car...
She will continue her journey with @Shado now.
Final pics from me of her:cry:😢:
IMG_2981_zpsurppvsqz.jpg

IMG_3033_zpsrols8jj0.jpg

IMG_3081_zpsmba7v7ho.jpg

IMG_7394_zpsyax4pdbg.jpg

DSC_6421_zpssliz5uhh.jpg

DSC_6412_zpsiorlh7h7.jpg

DSC_5782_zps01ow3cu3.jpg

DSC_5779_zpslqvzj5xt.jpg

DSC_5783_zpsapq4guro.jpg

DSC_4464_zpsuse8tce9.jpg

IMG_1667_zpsra59stx2.jpg