ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My Civic Type R (FD2) project..... (Includes overpriced GruppeM loveliness)

M135i
Hi boys and girls. Been a while since I posted any pics of my FD2 so thought I'd start a thread on what is fast becoming a money pit for me!

Its sort of a project thread, but those of you expecting something as epic as say Firas' awesome EK9 thread will be sorely disappointed. On the plus side, mine is less likely to crash your computer! :rasp:

Anyways, had the car since summer 2009 when I had owned a succession of RenaultSports. Was getting a bit bored of the frenchies so thought I'd go Jap.

Managed to find a nice looking FD2 at what (at the time) was a bargain price compared with the other FD2s on the market.

1.jpg

Went for look and it was a done deal. The reason for the bargain price was to do with the fact that championship white FD2s command about a £1k premium over other colours, so I although I did want a CW one, the accountant in me said the £1k saving was worth it.

2.jpg

For those of you unfamiliar with the FD2 shape, its basically the Japanese market only Civic Type R. Whilst we get the FN2, the Japanese got this. Not totally sure why we never got it, but some murmurings about marketing men and too hardcore were apparently the reasons.

3.jpg

Despite looking a lot bigger than the UK model, its actually a fair bit lighter. The shell is also a lot stronger than the hatchback model, plus you get the more powerful JDM spec engine and the LSD as standard.

First clean....

4.jpg

Not long after purchase it needed new discs and pads at the rear. I've always been a bit confused about this, is it normal that the rear discs would be due sooner than the fronts?

After very little thought and research, I went and did that typical fanboy thing and went out and bought the biggest brand I could think of...

5.jpg

I went for the Mugen slotted discs and some Type Z sport pads.....

9.jpg

7.jpg

Because of the high shipping costs from Japan, it seemed logical to get a few more bits too to make it more worthwhile ;)

10.jpg

11.jpg

I also went and bought and Spoon Sports engine torque damper. Now I must confess, prior to owning the FD2, I'd never even heard of an ETD, but apparently they're supposed to reduce the level of engine movement. In theory you should get smoother gear changes and possibly even improved traction off the line.

13.jpg

14.jpg

All well and good, but what no one told me was that the FD2's engine mounts are so strong anyway, the ETD is nigh on useless and offers no improvement anyway.

15.jpg

On it went anyway, the downside that ETD's do bring is increased vibrations within the cabin. Not an issue when you;re chasing vtec, but very annoying when you're sat in traffic on the M60.

So off it came soon enough......

Next up was a trackday at Oulton Park. Only been around Oulton in the past in my old R27, but the FD2 really did feel a step above. Was more than capable of harrassing much more exotic machinery, especially when the going got wet.

Also, finally got rid of the awful UK plate at the front and replaced it with a much neater square JDM-style plate...

18a.jpg

18.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

You may have noticed in the last few pics me being chased by a red EP3 Civic.

That one is actually owned by my brother and is running a not too shabby 301bhp thanks to a supercharger....

19.jpg

Massively quick no doubt, just a shame it has just about the worse steering I've ever tried on a hot hatch. I know its a bit cliched, but I really do think the EP3 steering is as bad as people make out. The FD2 although not the last word in feel is much more accurate.

Does give me ideas about supercharging the FD2 though..... apparently 330bhp would be possible on mine....

Anyway, shortly afterwards tradgedy struck!

20.jpg

Some numpty decided it'd be a good idea to reverse into the FD2 in a car park.

On the plus side (And quite shocking I thought in this day and age) they did leave a note!

21.jpg

After too-ing and fro-ing with the insurance for a while, off it went to Arnold Clark Honda for repairs. During which time I got to drive this beast (Did ask for the tasty CR-Z they had in at the time, but was politely refused).......

22.jpg

2 weeks later (yes, 2 weeks to fix a bloody door!) I was glad to be back in the FD2!

23.jpg

And to be fair on AC, they'd done a pretty good job I thought.

Anyway, love with the FD2 restored, decided it was time to get back to business...

After slaughtering the brakes on another trackday, needed some new front discs and pads. After chatting with a few ppl about the best options (including Malice on here - cheers), decided to go with some Dixcel carbon coated discs and Project MU Type-HC pads...

33.jpg

34.jpg

35.jpg

36.jpg

As ever, also took the opportunity to pick up a few extra bits....

Mugen number plate bolts:

24.jpg

25.jpg

Mugen radiator cap:

26.jpg

Resisted the temptation to get a Mugen oil cap as even I think £60 for an oil cap is a tad excessive.

Also, observe exibit A - a genuine Mugen spark plug cover

27.jpg

Price? About £350 - £450 depending on exchange rates.

Very nice looking no doubt, but an absolute rip-off in my book.

So..... went and got one of these from Tegiwa imports:

28.jpg

add a Mugen decal from eBay, and you get.......

29.jpg

All for the slightly more reasonable price of £65.

30.jpg

31.jpg

Also bagged myself a Type-R badge for thr front grill which I think finishes the front off nicely, and with a bit of luck will avoid any hybrid confusion!

32.jpg

Okay, time had come to get a little more serious.

I remember back in the day (well, only 3 or 4 years ago), I used to scoff at the price of the ITG Maxogen induction kit for the RS Clio. I think it was about £350 back then.

Well, the ITG Maxgen seems like a bit of a bargain compared with the GruppeM kit for the FD2. Depending on exchange rates and including shipping and taxes, you'd be lucky to see change from £1300!

I'd been toying with the idea od getting one for over a year now, but finally I couldn't hold out much longer. Managed to jump in on a FN2 group buy, so picked up a FD2 GruppeM kit at a slightly (just slightly) more reasonable price.

And this is what you get for £850!

37.jpg

Certainly a thorough and serious piece of kit. Think one of the reasons its so expensive is because it includes a replacement panel for where the screenwasher jets go in order to accomadate the ram-air scoop.

Off to TDI North the car went for a session on the dyno....

(Unfortnately no pics of the dyno runs)

The claimed power is 225ps for the FD2, though many owners have been seeing more.

Unfortunately, my car still had its Japanese limiter (112mph) on it which meant the engine kept cutting out in the gear TDI were using on the rolling road before peak power could be reached. Paul reckoned I was on for about 229bhp if there hadn't been a limiter there.

So to get rid of the limiter and to make the most of the GruppeM.....

38.jpg

39.jpg

With the GruppeM also fitted, Paul @ TDI North set to work his magic....

46.jpg

In the end, the car made about 235bhp which isn't a massive jump in headline power, but the whole feel of the car has been transformed due to much more torque lower down the rev range.

Peak torque is actually up to 172IB Ft from 158 IB Ft which is more telling I think.

And the GruppeM.....

40.jpg

41.jpg

Quite like the look of the subtle scoop there now. Under the bonnet, looks a bit more impressive....

42.jpg

43.jpg

44.jpg

45.jpg

And how does it sound? Well, really pleased with it actually. Under normal driving you can't really hear it, but mash the throttle and you get a surprisingly deep bellow.

When vtec kicks in though, it sounds absolutely sensational. And judging by the reaction of some people I've past, quite terrifying.

Sorry, I was going to post some videos up, but my cheapo spy cam off ebay had decided to give up the ghost.

In terms of whats next, well, funds permitting.........

a Toda 4-2-1 manifold:

48.jpg

and a Toda exhaust:

49.jpg

Another session with the flashpro, and I'd be hoping to be well into the 240s and possibly close to 250 which I think would be pretty impressive for a 2.0 naturally aspirated engine.

Also, take a look at this pic of the front bumper:

47.jpg

Not dirt, but tiny stonechips. Honda paint really is softer than Audrey Harrison. A front re-spray may be in order...

Thanks for looking, and as ever, comments good/bad appreciated.

amazing car! :)

love all the bits you've done like that air scoop n spark cover and that exhaust looks emense look forward to a vid good work.

Focus RS + S3
bit of a noobish question, but from the untrained eye (me lol) that scoop is easy to suck up water. obviously its designed not to do that, so how does it work ?

Audi TT 3.2
Good write up! Car looks stunning, in some of the pics kind of reminds me of a evo 9!

2 girls, 172 cup
Dude...........

That is f'ing sweet. Nice choice of bits too (if youre minted) that ex mani looks the sex too.

Think you made the right choice on the colour too. It looks cool beans (dc5's look nice in that colour too) and a grand for some choice parts is defo FTW.

M135i
Thanks for the comments guys.

Nice project-car.

How do the gruppeM sound compared to say a maxogen? or do they make more of a BMW CLS induction roar?

To be honest, I can't for the life of me remember what the ITG sounds like (short memory lol). But the GruppeM is very much a low pitched roar which I was a bit surprised as with the vtec I thought it'd be more of a high pitched screamer.

bit of a noobish question, but from the untrained eye (me lol) that scoop is easy to suck up water. obviously its designed not to do that, so how does it work ?

Lol, I actually asked the same thing when it was being fitted.

There's a tiny drain hole within the kit for water to escape. In normal driving, there really shouldn't be too much water getting down there anyway really.

Tidy, clearly you have money to burn ;) oh and I'd have gone with red if CW wasn't an option but each to their own.

Red? Not an option on the FD2s I'm afraid. Only the Mugen RR was red. Come on Turkish, I always had you down as a JDM knowledge king. Should have known that! ;)

Red? Not an option on the FD2s I'm afraid. Only the Mugen RR was red. Come on Turkish, I always had you down as a JDM knowledge king. Should have known that! ;)

My bad, must have been caught out by a couple of US FD2 reps hence the confusion over not realising it was RR only. :eek:

Strell

ClioSport Club Member
  Clubman JCW
Awesome mate, have defo put this on the list as a potential for me.
I am also a fan of the blue, championship white is nice, but the blue looks great, and makes it stand out more.

I appreciate these. I know for a FACT that the powertrain is awesome, and I hear they are a great drive, if a little too stiff for UK roads. Ironic given that lot of people lambast the FN2 for being too stiff, and then wax on about the virtues of the FD2.

Quite a special car though IMO. I personally think they look...well we'll end it there. Looks are a personal thing.

M135i
looking good buddy :) hows the mu's working for you??

Good thanks mate.

Not really had chance to test them properly yet, but hopefully should make it to Oulton in the next month (weather permitting!). They do seem to feel much better than the old Ferodo DS2500s I was running previously.

I appreciate these. I know for a FACT that the powertrain is awesome, and I hear they are a great drive, if a little too stiff for UK roads. Ironic given that lot of people lambast the FN2 for being too stiff, and then wax on about the virtues of the FD2.

Quite a special car though IMO. I personally think they look...well we'll end it there. Looks are a personal thing.

Fair point, it is at the end of the day a hybrid with alloys and a big spoiler!

If I could roll out the old chestnut of it looks much better in the flesh..... When I first saw them a few years back in EVO, I actually hated it. Looked too big and frumpy.

Flash forward a year and I saw a silver one parked in Manchester's Chinatown near the big oriental arch thingy. Right there (I know its Japanese not chinese lol), it just looked soo right, I knew I had to have one. The rest is history as they say....:)

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Great read mate! Car looks brilliant, just a tad jealous here :approve:

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
How much for an induction kit?

Sod that for 10bhp.

I'd usually agree. But come selling time it'll still be worth a damn good chunk of that £850. And they sound incredible, as well as the power.

They are proper bits of kit.

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
GruppeM stuff are so over hyped though. The M3 one is useless!

lbrench

ClioSport Club Member
  F250 6.7 / VW GLI.
Really really really really really like this.....alot

And I'm a civic hater

M135i
Love the car mate, if your local to Tesco Horwich you need to take me out in it one time!

Of course mate. Sometimes do the weekly shop there. Do you work there?

I'd usually agree. But come selling time it'll still be worth a damn good chunk of that £850. And they sound incredible, as well as the power.

They are proper bits of kit.

Aye, that's what pushed me over the edge in the end.

I know its not a lot of power, but I think its probably the best option as far as induction kits go for the FD2. The Mugen kit by all accounts is pretty useless and poorly made too.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
GruppeM stuff are so over hyped though. The M3 one is useless!

Doesn't change the fact that he'll be able to enjoy the noise and small power gain, not to mention the great quality. Then sell of for little or no loss. Can't knock it in that respect.

Love that mate, nice choice of mods too. GruppeM's sounds awesome.

Have they not discontinued the blue, and thus they now command a higher price?

Also do Tegiwa not do a GM copy like they do for the EP3 and DC5?

M135i
Love that mate, nice choice of mods too. GruppeM's sounds awesome.

Have they not discontinued the blue, and thus they now command a higher price?

Also do Tegiwa not do a GM copy like they do for the EP3 and DC5?

Yeah, the blue got discontinued at the mid-life facelift. However, all FD2s are discontinued now anyway, so a moot point really! Looking at the used market now, the CW definitely still commands a premium.

Tegiwa have said they won't be doing a FD2 GruppeM copy. Think its because the market in the UK just isn't there as there's so few FD2s compared with DC5s and EP3s. Also think its partly because the FD2 kit is a bit more complex (with the additional scuttle panel) then the EP3 and DC5 ones.

Homo spec mazda
I frigging love these <3

if this is what they sound like with the gruppe m and toda then wow

why have i never seen this around?

Last edited by a moderator: