ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

my clio 1.2 16 valve turbo conversion

black 3 door clio 1.2 16v
hiya guys and gals , over the next 6-10 months im going to be doing a turbo conversion on my 2005 plate 1.2 16valve clio. it will be a low boost conversion , and i know what people will say (why bother? why dont you just buy a sport) well the answer is because i like the car , im not getting rid for years to come (want my moneys worth) and to be honest i dont really fancy a sport as so many people try to put you down i just dont want one lol ,

anyway il update every week or two and see how things go ::

so heres a pic of my car as of when i baught it about 7 months ago from renault

100_0984.jpg

100_0987.jpg

anyway , my first modification was my prospeed stainless steel cat back ehauast system

100_1067.jpg

its a 3.5 inch slash cut rolled tip . lifetime warranty (i love it)lol

after that the car stayed standard for a few month while i worked and saved lol

my next mod i purchased would be OMP front and rear strut braces in red

mystrutbraces.jpg

i thaught about it, but i can use alot of the twingo gt parts and a few of my own ideas to up the power slightly, im not after massive power, i just want to have fun , which is all its about really

anyway i then got myself a k-tec induction kit and relocation pipe, but as im now turboing the car im using the relocation pipe as the first parts of my boost piping :D

clioinductionsystem1.jpg

oh and thats not my bed sheet :p ^^^^

and on the car

clioinductionsystem2.jpg

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
why not put a cliosport engine in it,

2.0l N/a

would be faster and probably cheaper imho

H22A7 Accord Type R
Good on you for the project mate. Strip the rear end out too, make it into a fun bus ;)

anyway, just had a parcel this morning :D

my auto gauges boost gauge (i know theyr cheap but i had one in my astra an it was fine for years)

boostgauge.jpg

and as i write this im ordering my next two parts ..............

my front mount
frontmountintercooler.jpg

and my volt gauge

voltgauge.jpg

thats all for now guys il update soon

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
will be loosing torque with that relocation pipe.

yes you can use the twingo gt parts (although keeping in mind the twingo gt has different internals in the engine

if your spending the money on it do it properly and go all out and do something no ones done before, forged internals etc and run about 180bhp lol

A4 DTM/iceberg cup
will be intresting to see how this goes....in terms of project and the result.. fair play to you for going against the grain. more of that needed on here i feel.

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
did you not read up? he stated he doesnt want to. lol.

good on you mate, bit dif.

come join www.torquewales.co.uk/forum

local car club mate full of technical wizkids (like myself).

if you ever need a hand with anything were your best bet. lol.

read my post lol,
i didnt say get a cliosport,
i said get a cliosport engine and put it in,

same car, still tinkering,
but alot more power and reliability when its done

yer the plan is at the moment just get ot up and running as a low boost conversion then when possible il upgrade with forged low comp pistons and forged rods, custom made comes to £650 so not that bad really, the only thing im having trouble with is gettin it mapped , as at the moment im going to run the standard ecu like ryan k did ut rs tuning is the only place i can find that will do it but its in leeds :(

yer they use the same basic block and head, even the internals run around the same compression ratio, onli real difference i can see on twingo/clio tce lump is inlet manifold but that wont be a problem

oh my gf just turned up lol with a lil prezzie , a 7 inch flip out touch screen dvd player (i know they aint the best but i appreciate the thaught from sumone who dosent wrk)

yer i wanna keep it a 1.2 and be different , lol i know it might sound weird and abit odd as there are easier ways of gettin power, but like i said im not after huge power just a fun car that is something different

320d
Like this project mate. Exhaust looks good.

However I would sort the suspension out etc before you start with the engine. A set of coilovers would realy sort out both looks and handling.

What sort of power are you expecting/going for.

Another good purchase would be club membership, it will prove invaluable for getting advise on your project.

yeri really need to sort out a full membership lol ,, well ive decided to go abit further and fit low comp pistons and rods so im hoping for around 150bhp atleast , will take abit longer , around a year eventually but will be worth it when its done

also just got sum pressed metal plates lol cant find a pic yet tho

Bus w**ker
Fair play to you for trying something different, even though I do fall into the waste of time way of thinking lol.

Should you not be concentrating on things like improved braking and suspension before buying the parts to up the POWAH?

Oh and btw it's thought...

im just getting a few basic parts at the moment , it will all be upgraded over time thanks for the comment anyway

E60 diesel powah
you wont get 150bhp il say that now! However thumbs up for being different! i thought of this a few months ago

great wee project lad all for fun

i wouldnt say 150bhp would be over the top to get out of the engine wit the right mods. i had my mk3 1.2 turbo at 134.6bhp with a remap and induction kit. so few wee bits and bobs and you should be getting 140-150.

take the 1.3 gt starlets as a bench mark. those wee think car get to 165 easy as and there is a few 225bhp and thing but heavily modded

good luck with it any

keep us updated

Fair play to you mate, thats for sure!

However, started off with such a small capacity is a fail IMO. I made that mistake, modded a punto gt to near 220bhp, was a dog to drive, and that was the limit, looked back at my reciepts a few weeks ago, near 11k spent :( Could be driving a nice EVO now. All i will say is aslong as its what you want to do.

But i would put a 2ltr in, and turbo that, cant be much more surely?

ben

MERCEDES CLS AMG
Straight forward enough - get yourself a turbo off a 1.2 16v clio ( mitsubishi 023KN2 unit ) Next you need a manifold based on the exhaust ports of the D4F 722 head. Take the turbo and your existing manifold to Blue Flame Exhausts in Skelmersdale and ask for Ian Birch - he will fabricate a manifold for you that will bolt up to your existing head and host the turbo. He will also make you a downpipe that bolts up to the turbo / cat ( personally i would leave the cat off )

Get yourself the intercooler pipes & intercooler off a 1.2 16v Turbo and thats your cooling sorted. Your gonna have to change the injectors, fuel rail, the inlet manifold, throttlebody all of which can be sourced from other Renault Clio models.

I would run an OMEM 200 ecu to power the set up. I make it sound easy in theory but it will be hard work in practise - These are the very basics and there will be a lot more to do...should be an interesting, fun and educational project

Last edited:
  clio 1.6 16v
Well, the choice of puting a rs engine is not my favorite, as there are already too many rs's in there, its good to be diferent, for instance, why don't you guys go more for the 1.4 16v and 1.6 16v engines, supercharged they can leave an rs behind.;)
Of corse i like the Rs, i love it, its just that there are already many of them and he's trying to be diferent, he can get 110-120 bhp easily with simple supercharging if you know what i mean.;)

hiya guys,my front mount intercooler arrived this mornin, :D il start gathering the materials to mock up the boost pipes at the start of next month , thanks for the comments guys, can anyone recomend a few standalone ecu's and piggy back ecu's ?

thanks

ITB'd 182...
hiya guys,my front mount intercooler arrived this mornin, :D il start gathering the materials to mock up the boost pipes at the start of next month , thanks for the comments guys, can anyone recomend a few standalone ecu's and piggy back ecu's ?

thanks

Give me a shout if you need an extra pair of hands. Only live down the road :)

Mustang, S13, AX GT
Straight forward enough - get yourself a turbo off a 1.2 16v clio ( mitsubishi 023KN2 unit ) Next you need a manifold based on the exhaust ports of the D4F 722 head. Take the turbo and your existing manifold to Blue Flame Exhausts in Skelmersdale and ask for Ian Birch - he will fabricate a manifold for you that will bolt up to your existing head and host the turbo. He will also make you a downpipe that bolts up to the turbo / cat ( personally i would leave the cat off )

Get yourself the intercooler pipes & intercooler off a 1.2 16v Turbo and thats your cooling sorted. Your gonna have to change the injectors, fuel rail, the inlet manifold, throttlebody all of which can be sourced from other Renault Clio models.

I would run an OMEM 200 ecu to power the set up. I make it sound easy in theory but it will be hard work in practise - These are the very basics and there will be a lot more to do...should be an interesting, fun and educational project

thanks
;)
good project!

ITB'd MK1

200 is ignition only. really designed for carb'd cars. 600 would be the one

Loving this project, will be watching. Good luck :)

ive been looking at a custom megasquirt ecu for piggy back fuel controll untill i can afford to run it as full stand alone, are these any good? they dont seem to bad for the money

GDI Demo 182, Rsi Spider
not really no.... but you will get very little backup if any and will end up banging your head against a wall...

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
MegaSquirt isn't that bad. The new Hi-res code has helped alot.

80% of Turbo/Supercharged MX-5 run MS.

Albeit MS now do a plug and play ECU for the 5.

Addz

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy, TVR Tamora
i'll look forward to seeing this project!

nice to see something different, could do the 2.0 route but then it would be the same as every other rep so good on you for doing something different