ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My dealings with Danlp6 (lengthy post)

'92 172, Lotus Elise
Below is my version of events with Dan/Danlp6/Daniel Potter...

Most of you will probably already know of Dan and his dealings (splittergate etc) and will probably say it's all my fault and that I shouldn't have trusted him etc... But let me just say write this post as a warning to you all, as I knew him personally and didn't expect this

In november 07 I decided to convert my mk1 16v to a 172 engine. I found an engine on cliosport that had a knocking bottom end. Dan said that he could rebuild it for me. I went ahead and purchased the engine off of Joshydee, who was very helpful with the whole deal and I would not hesistate to recommend him!

A week later, Dan informed me that the engine had been delivered to his - there were a few discrepancies, but these were sorted with Josh very quicky and I think we were both satisfied with the deal. Dan then set about stripping the engine and even posted up a project thread on www.clio16valver.co.uk about the whole process. His communication was very good! It also turns out that in order to get the pistons out, the head had to come off - but again, Dan called me and discussed it all, including prices and I agreed (new headgasket can only be a good thing I figured).

Now is when the deal started to break down. The crank was apparently scored (as could be seen in some of the pictures he had) so we both agreed it should be sent off to be reground with new shell bearings. First of all, this took much longer than expected, but I was assured several times that he was 'picking it up tomorrow evening'. I didn't think too much of it, as delays did occur.

I didn't get any further contact from Dan. I had to call him every time to chase up everything from this point.

I was then told that the crank had come back from the machine shop, but they could not find/make/whatever the bearings and the Renault ones a) didn't exist for the F4R b) were back dated to november with 30-odd orders. Fine. Dan did apparently manage to sort it all out and sourced some shell bearings, but the cost came in at about £170 - which was more than double what was originally quoted "about £50-60". I took this again, as these things can happen!

Then all went quite. Turns out he could not complete the engine due to onsite work commitments in Bristol.

He sent me a PM on clio16valver about the costs for parts - he then required money in advance for all the parts. I was told that he was getting me Genuine Renault parts. I was a bit miffed at the price, but figured it'd be worth it in the long run. I confirmed these prices with a Renault Dealer myself.

I agreed again to send him the money (which I did, like I did for the regrind and for the graphogen etc...) and that he would get his labour costs when I got the engine, which was fair enough I thought? I'd been very good to him on the money front and he had no reason to doubt me sending him the money.

After weeks of no progress and him not returning calls/texts, I get an MMS of my engine, so he was actually working on it! great! This was on saturday 9th feb, so he's delayed it a long time already. I get told that it only needs the cambelt putting on and a few other little bits and that it would be sent for shipment during the week! At this point, getting tired of texting back and forth, I give him a call and discuss the whole thing. He seemed very chatty, even talking about his plans for his 172valver.

This is where the main breakdown comes...

I ask him to make sure he includes a folder of all my reciepts for this engine, as it's very important to me as it's effectily the start of my new service history and I've gone to the expense of getting Gen. Renault parts.

Dan informs me that he does not have my reciepts as he has had to send them off to the tax office. I know this to be wrong, but at this point I just agree, so that I can get my engine and get my car back up and running!

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but no one sends their reciepts to the tax man. The only person you send reciepts to would be your accountant, for him to do your tax return. Also, when does the tax office *ever* require details on work done the previous month, you have up to 9 months to send in your return! so it's impossible to have to send the reciepts off. I'm starting to get worried here, as I've spent out over £400 to Dan on parts and don't have a single reciept to show for it!!

Monday comes, no word from Dan, so I get in contact - turns out the error was in my part, in that I forgot to PM him my address, :eek:ops;. So I PM'd him my address on monday evening.

Nothing happens for a week - he claims that the payment didn't clear to the courier company so they couldn't collect it. (his mum told me that it was because the lorry could not get down their driveway...)

During the last few weeks, his phone has been out of order, meaning I can't talk to him. he's not online either, so no forum contact or msn etc.. and my texts aren't being answered.

I posted a message on cliosport, asking if anyone has contact with him and suddenly I get a text from him! I arranged to collect it myself. He told me I could collect it whenever, as long as I let him know when. I told him that I would collect it tonight (monday)

I went and got myself an engine crane and was just about to set off for somerset. he then contacts me to say that he isnt around that evening and no one is home so I couldn't go collect it that evening. We arrange for me to collect it the following evening at 7:30pm. I sent him several texts confirming that I was still going to pick the engine up

We arrived at his house at about 7:30pm on Tuesday, like he'd arranged - only thing was, he wasn't there! His mum and sister were there and let me in. They then went to the trouble of calling a ring of friends to eventually get hold of him (at the GF's).

About 20 minutes later he pitches up (with his gf), looking very sorry for himself, not the usual cheery Dan that I know!

He then did the talk about how I owe him his labour costs before he would give the engine over. I said that's fine - I've had absolutely no issues paying you several hundred pounds until now, but before I complete the deal, I need to see some invoices/reciepts for all the money I've spent.

Once again he started chatting about the tax man having all his reciepts. He said he might have a couple left in his room (real thorough there), but alas his room was too messy for him to find them. The next door neighbour who invited herself into the discussion kept piping up about how she has to send her reciepts off... great, but who asked you for your incorrect input?

He then said I either pay him the full amount or the engine goes back in the barn and he goes off to Glastonbury. I asked if there was a need to threaten me in such a way, to which there was no answer.

We finally agree on me giving him half the labour, with the rest payable when the reciepts materialise.

I go down the road to sainsburys and draw my money and return (10 mile trip?). In that time he's gone and got the engine and left it sitting on the end of his driveway and has once again dissappeared, leaving his mum and sister to deal with the situation (his sister even helped us lift it, good going Dan, what an amazing brother and son you are).

all the manifolds and ancillaries are in a box which I also loaded in to the car. At this point I notice there are no bolts at all, which is kinda annoying when you're trying to rebuild an engine. The clutch is missing too

So basically we're standing on his driveway arguing about my missing bolts. When they started shouting that my attitude stinks (bearing in mind I didn't raise my voice once).

I'm explaining to his mother, all of Dans dealings and how he has such a foul reputation on the forums but that I've always stuck up for him - really unfair to say that, considering all that I've done for him. I've sorted out many of his deals and always defended him and his work! I've known Dan for 2 years now, as he used to work at Carlton Garage where I took my clio for its daily problem solving! He's helped out a lot on the forums and has also had a few successful deals - but also many bad dealings, as can be shown by just how many forums he's banned on now!

The neighbours son has turned up at this point and has listened to how I've defended Dan. He tells me and Laine to 'f**k off now'. He was bigger than me and we were all standing next to my car (having just loaded the engine in)... I didn't fancy anything escalating and we were getting nowhere, so we left.

Wonderful dealings, someone who I though was a friend and had some respect for - and I end up coming away from the deal with no proof of any work done or reciepts etc, missing parts and being intimidated and threatened at the same time! All this and Dan was too much of a coward to deal with me himself. It's not like im intimidating or agressive, as anyone who knows me can vouch! It shook me up! :eek:

Dan has not even once apologised for anything or even taken the time to say "look, there is a miss understanding here, lets try to sort it out"

The long and short of it is that I've paid Dan about £450 now (as well as my petrol to collect the thing and buying it in the first place) and have no proof as to whats been done to the engine at all. He's made up some excuse which is clearly false as to where the reciepts are - I'm not sure if he's skimmed money off the parts prices or what...

On posting this on other forums, a lot of hatred come out against him, seem's he's done it to many people! Think he's banned from most Clio forums now :S

Think that all makes sense, let me know if anything needs clarifying.

sorry for the long post :eek:

Last edited:
good read, sounds like a complete messaround to be honest, sent the receipts off, yeah ok.... is there any way you can take the engine apart to check if any work has acctually been done?

BMW E46 330i Touring
Sorry to hear dude... you are quite an intimidating guy though! ;)

Well done for what comes across as a genuine, unbiased account of a deal gone wrong. Do you think maybe he's not kept track of the receipts, or bought parts through other sources?

I have had one dealing with Dan and I have to say it all went well - but it's a shame to hear this one hasn't. Maybe the 'official' post will spark something to get it sorted.

'92 172, Lotus Elise
The only proof I have of engine work is what I can see - all new belts and gaskets and water pump etc..

tbh, I do think he has done the work (hopefully to a good standard!!) but he's just tried to pull one over on the parts

I wouldnt mind if we had agreed on something, it's just annoying to spend all the money and not get a single reciept and to be told blatent lies about it :(

172 cup
well it seems like you've been had mate, and what a man leavin his sister n mother to sort it..
there are some real w@nkers out there..
hope you get the engine sorted :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Dafthead

ClioSport Club Member
  MB EQC
Sounds pretty fucked up and retarded TBH

He wouldn't be seeing another penny of my money if I were you

Sorry to hear about that mate.

There certainly are some sorts on the forum who aren't bothered about ripping genuine people off it seems.

Megane Team II F1 R26
Nice 'mate' - problem is do you 'trust' what he's done, bolt it all down spin the key and watch a piston drop, or do you spend out on new gaskets and drop the sump and head off before it goes in.... I would spend that little extra from what you have said :(

'92 172, Lotus Elise
I've aged about 5 years after reading that, but a good read. He sounds like a prize cvnt

lol, sorry about that - it's a little long and whiney isn't it :D

mardell100, I just done have the resources to rebuild it myself, I'm just going to have to trust that he's done a good job... it's not his workmanship that's in question here, so hopefully it'll be reet! :)

Mini Cooper S sport
What a nightmare :(

Shame it's cost you so much money as well, I wouldn't hand over any more! Hopefully he will take this opportunity to explain himself as this doesn't make him look good.

I guess the only thing to take from this is to only use people/companies with a top reputation in future.

Clio dci
i have every sympathy for you mate and make sure you get proof of the work done. i unfortunately have had my dealings with mr potter and my bank balance is still suffering. im the ex which dan took £600 off of to do his engine conversion and payed for other things when he couldn't afford things including parts for other peoples cars. this was 6 months ago and i have seen very little of my money back but i am damn sure i am going to get every penny back. His family are lovely, especially his sister as we are still very good mates and see her quite a bit and they don't condone what he has done. I would also recommend that no1 sales or buys from him as i no he does not follow up wit payments hense the reason i ended up wit bills totalling to £600 until he decided 2 start sleepin with the present gf behind by back bt thts not the point. If he wants 2 start threatening you about taking the engine back through lack of payment then i can quite easily request for his car to be taken off the road until his debt to me is repaid. i no how your feeling mate to be taken in by his games and if theres anything i can do to help then just let me no.

'92 172, Lotus Elise
yep, he isnt getting another penny!

I would've been happy to pay if he'd shown me some reciepts :p

I had heard bad words about him, but thought I could trust him, having known him in person for a while

It really is a shame when this happens though.

You think you 'know' someone when you dont know them at all...it puts avery grim face on those others you trust too..

Clio172
This guy sounds like a right knobber..........what you should do is knob his sister or his mam just to get even like!

'92 172, Lotus Elise
i have every sympathy for you mate and make sure you get proof of the work done. i unfortunately have had my dealings with mr potter and my bank balance is still suffering. im the ex which dan took £600 off of to do his engine conversion and payed for other things when he couldn't afford things including parts for other peoples cars. this was 6 months ago and i have seen very little of my money back but i am damn sure i am going to get every penny back. His family are lovely, especially his sister as we are still very good mates and see her quite a bit and they don't condone what he has done. I would also recommend that no1 sales or buys from him as i no he does not follow up wit payments hense the reason i ended up wit bills totalling to £600 until he decided 2 start sleepin with the present gf behind by back bt thts not the point. If he wants 2 start threatening you about taking the engine back through lack of payment then i can quite easily request for his car to be taken off the road until his debt to me is repaid. i no how your feeling mate to be taken in by his games and if theres anything i can do to help then just let me no.

Hi,

sorry to hear about that :( you had worse dealings than everyone else it seems!!

He's not said anything to me about reclaiming the engine until he gets his reciepts... and as far as I'm concerned he has no right to, bearing in mind that I can't pay him until he invoices me! :p

If he does decide to go to the airfield, it will be very uncomfortable for him to explain the situation!

Megane Team II F1 R26
mardell100, I just done have the resources to rebuild it myself, I'm just going to have to trust that he's done a good job... it's not his workmanship that's in question here, so hopefully it'll be reet! :)

Thats understandable, but i suppose its better to be safe than sorry, could you afford another repair bill? maybe bide ur time dumping it in the car and get someone to investigate :S can see a follow up post that its all gone horribly wrong.

Clio172
Y go to this bloke if all you have heard is bad s**t about him. You say hes been kicked off loads of forums etc.... for being a knobjockey, but still you got work done by him. Im not condoneing what hes done its just seems daft with what you know of his reputation.
Still think you should Knob his sister of mother though!!!!

HBT 172 Cup
The neighbour was a nutcase, she was shouting off her head and it had absolutely sweet FA to do with her!

SHe also thought it was normal for garages to fix engines in no less than 5 months! and that anything fixed faster than that is amazing! (what a loser)

'92 172, Lotus Elise
Y go to this bloke if all you have heard is bad s**t about him. You say hes been kicked off loads of forums etc.... for being a knobjockey, but still you got work done by him. Im not condoneing what hes done its just seems daft with what you know of his reputation.
Still think you should Knob his sister of mother though!!!!

I'd heard a few bad dealings with him - mostly about people not recieving items in the post etc.. There were also good reports too

I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt as I knew him personally.

most of the bad stories I've heard of him have come out after my post over on clio16valver - the amount of hate was staggering!

but yes, I was wrong :(

Clio dci
u should go down to his house somenight and strip his car :D thatd be fun[/quote]

only if i can have my ecu, loom and anything else on that car that belongs to me until he pays up. he would still owe me to the ecu previous tho

williams 2 turbo
is this the dan fella who was selling a black valver a couple of years ago, if so he screwed me over for 6 weeks with im just finishing the painting, no tax on it and all the other crap.

then at the end his mum told me he hasnt been near it for 6 weeks, and im buggered. in the end i waited for a car for a montha and a half for a car that never turned up after countless promises! steer clear

182/Bora V5/S1 RS Turbo
sounds like a prize pr1ck. I used to do jobs on the side. usually meant working all day in the cold and wet then doing someones car in the cold and wet on a night into the early hours just to earn a few quid.People loved me for it cos theyd get back from work leave their car for me then have it back by morning so they could go back to work. this included head gaskets and all sorts but word spread and i had so much work i nearly had a breakdown myself! So now instead of letting people down by blagging them i just say "no sorry" or ill just pick out the odd job thats easy.That way people respect me for it and i can usually get someone i know and trust to help them.Everyone is happy!!!!

'92 172, Lotus Elise
is this the dan fella who was selling a black valver a couple of years ago, if so he screwed me over for 6 weeks with im just finishing the painting, no tax on it and all the other crap.

then at the end his mum told me he hasnt been near it for 6 weeks, and im buggered. in the end i waited for a car for a montha and a half for a car that never turned up after countless promises! steer clear

he's in bridgwater, somerset.. if that helps (I seemed to recall him breaking a black clio ages ago though? :S)

btw, Sawbridgeworth, that's where I bought my valver from! :D (K plate 449)

'92 172, Lotus Elise
sounds like a prize pr1ck. I used to do jobs on the side. usually meant working all day in the cold and wet then doing someones car in the cold and wet on a night into the early hours just to earn a few quid.People loved me for it cos theyd get back from work leave their car for me then have it back by morning so they could go back to work. this included head gaskets and all sorts but word spread and i had so much work i nearly had a breakdown myself! So now instead of letting people down by blagging them i just say "no sorry" or ill just pick out the odd job thats easy.That way people respect me for it and i can usually get someone i know and trust to help them.Everyone is happy!!!!

best way

I too do jobs on the side (the occasional gearbox, stripping cars etc...) but know when to take a job and when not to!

M

mini-valver

Gutted fella :( I bought a throttle body from him and it was fine. Missing a TPS but I guess that's as much my fault for not asking!

Sounds like a right tit, but you have been more than fair.

Cant understand why he would need to send the receipts away. I doubt he is vat registered as he sounds like a right stupid cvnt.

Particularly like the advice about fisting his mum!!

SLK 350
Sounds unreliable, and rather like someone who took on more than fit on his plate, couldn't take the pressure and buried his head in the sand.

Last edited by a moderator:
I very much doubt he is VAT registered so the whole receipt thing is bullcrap anyway, not to mention the fact you wouldn't send receipts off anyway.
I imagine he's either pocketed the money and hasn't bought the parts. OR Bought the parts and added a significant margin, hence why he doesn't want to hand the receipts over. I imagine its the latter.