ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My driveshaft problems found out...

DCi 100
Might mean nothing to alot of people, but took my faulty driveshaft apart today.

Mine problem was wobbling, after taking it to Birchdown to have the engine mounts checked they moved to driveshaft. Changed the left one, and it still did it, nightmare! Booked in again to the do the other but the car became undrivable after a long trip screetching and banging.

In the end, changed it on the drive with the help of Rob(91).

How it should look;
NvFo7.jpg

Having popped the gearbox end off and had a look, alittle play between the 3 balls and the shoe which I already knew was there. Popped the hub end of to fine loads and loads more grease, so I thought that may have been the problem as both smelt completely different.

Then noticed the large ring just sat in the box... :S

Ends up that the joint had disintegrated somehow, the small pin style bearings where to be found inside all the grease in the main shoe that goes into the gearbox, not on the arm of the driveshaft.

Top right;
YzsVm.jpg

The retaining washer had become somewhat weathered;
tVmgw.jpg

Bad left, good right.

o359i.jpg

Not deformation of the metal, just seems to have simply fallen out, although most of the pins have disappeared?

I'm sure it'd be simple enought to repack the plastic boot with copper grease, cable tie it back up (as that's all what was on there anyways), if there was nothing wrong with it.

Maybe worth checking next time you have a driveshaft problem, as it would have cost me alot of money if I had checked both prior!

Alex

Edit; f**king typo in the title!

Last edited:
  DCi 100
Re: My driveshaft problems find out..

Cheers for the great service tuesday mate! :)

Had a kip for acouple of hours in the afternoon after I drove to Accrington and back.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I know you can use tie's, but I've ALWAYS had better results with jubilee clips, greatly reduces to chance of having CV grease everywhere. Which, lets face it, is never a bad thing!

DCi 100
Not at all lol! Took me ages to wash it with tons of fairy liquid. I think this one is the original driveshaft from new though, will have a troll through the service history later and see if one has ever been changed. :)