ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

my first drive (182)

1/4 mile 14.9 @ 92mph
hi all, i have owned my ctr for nearly two years and will be looking at buying a house soon so i need to sell my ctr and get a little cheaper car. i have always liked the look of the 182, but had doubt's about buying on. so i decided to test drive a racing blue 182 this afrernoon from renault. i never really knew what to expect, and to be fair i couldn't pick any faults at all.
the drive was very similer to my ctr but gave much better feedback through the steering(the steering did feel heavy tho) and felt very glued to the road even tho it had just started snowing! also for a small car they are quite equiped ie.. half leather, cruise controll, xennon, climate controll ect.. my ctr has none of this.

the part of the car i was most concerned about was the engine, the car must have good power delivery and to my surprise..... it felt great. i wouldn't say it was as quick as my ctr (well after 60 anyway) but i loved the ride and the way it devoleped the power. at first the engine felt flat and had little engine noise , untill about 5k rpm i think then the engine picked up pace(a little bit like v-tec) so all in all a very good quick little car!!

all i need to do is to look out for one at a better price, as i'm pretty sure this will be my next car. what sort of price range would i be looking at to get a 04+ 182 or cup, plus is there any thing i should look out for when buying one(owned my ctr for nearly two years and nothing has gone wrong at all)

that's all thanks, kev:)

LY 182 FF CUPPED
electrics electrics electrics!!! oh and did I mention the electrics are not that good.

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
mate i will be selling my 182 with cup packs on it Racing blue soon if u want it?

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
depending on mileage i would say between 6k and 7.5k

LY 182 FF CUPPED
Notorious for the dash to light up like a xmas tree.
I have airbag, esp abs, serv lights come on and off daily.
really winds me up.
Of course I am slightly biased.....but definitely go for the racing blue.

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
Notorious for the dash to light up like a xmas tree.
I have airbag, esp abs, serv lights come on and off daily.
really winds me up.
Of course I am slightly biased.....but definitely go for the racing blue.

lol u have had a bad apple!!

80MPG BEEZA
shake your head aint much difference from a ctr and a 182 both price and performace AND yes once again ive had a drink :)

Tangoed Works
nothing has gone wrong in my 2 years of ownership with my clio. my mate has had a ctr and its been as reliable as my 182.

nothing in it speed wise, and you will defo be getting more mpg with the 182. added bonus!!

1/4 mile 14.9 @ 92mph
saying that i could go on and on about the amount of ctr's ive beat :)

the ctr is a very hard car to drive fast, hit the limiter and i turn's a fast car into a slow one. same goes for changing 0.5k rmp too soon and the car will drop out of v-tec, the clio is an easy car to drive fast. if driven by a decent driver you would not catch a ctr. but that doesnt matter to me who car's if a car is faster, like said i really like the clio 182 and will be looking for one to replace my ctr.

how do i chose a reliable one lol, do they get worse with higher milage???

kev

1/4 mile 14.9 @ 92mph
here's a few pic's of my ctr if any body is intrested, good spec list too:)

newyearpics091.jpg

newpic018.jpg

carpics087.jpg

carpics084.jpg

carpics077.jpg

carpics112.jpg

Take no notice of planetx he's talking out of his arse. I had both a phase 2 02 plate 172 for 2 and a bit years had 27k of trouble free miles out of it and currently have a 54 plate 182 again from new and have notched up 36k with no issues in that either. I drive hard enough to need new front tyres every 6k so cant be accused of nannying them either. In terms of problems the only real common ones tend to be rattles and noises, coolant temp sensor can fail at times and the engine mounts knocking. Major electrical problems arent common and nor are major engine problems or failures.

My dad used to have a CTR was a good car, as you say very similar performance but just delivered in a different way and a different driving experience. Tend's to split opinion with most people loving one and hating the other but personally I like them both just the Clio edged it in a few respects for me.

VaVa
How much money will you be saving by swapping? Seem pointless imho! Surely a 53 plate CTR isn't much more expensive than an 04 182? 1k absolute tops I'd of thought!

Snotter's
i dont see how buying a 182 will save you any money? Your ctr will be worth £8.5k tops and you might get a decent 182 for £7.5k, is it worth a grand to change to a car you dont know the history of? Also if you bring finance into the equation (if you own the car outright not an issue) then you will have further costs to consider.

Keep the ctr

missmy257bhp r5/ got evo6
face lift typer is so much nicer but urs def looks clean

i know u want a cheaper car but the cant be much diff between a pre face lift type r and a good 182 with cup packs

LY 182 FF CUPPED
Take no notice of planetx he's talking out of his arse. I had both a phase 2 02 plate 172 for 2 and a bit years had 27k of trouble free miles out of it and currently have a 54 plate 182 again from new and have notched up 36k with no issues in that either. I drive hard enough to need new front tyres every 6k so cant be accused of nannying them either. In terms of problems the only real common ones tend to be rattles and noises, coolant temp sensor can fail at times and the engine mounts knocking. Major electrical problems arent common and nor are major engine problems or failures.

My dad used to have a CTR was a good car, as you say very similar performance but just delivered in a different way and a different driving experience. Tend's to split opinion with most people loving one and hating the other but personally I like them both just the Clio edged it in a few respects for me.
pop into the problems and faults forum......speaks volumes for the problems on clio's

Clio 182 & Saxo VTR
Not quicker over 60? On paper its not, in reality mate your dreaming, it feels exactly the bloody same whatever speed your doing and makes up about 20cm difference in car length, something i highly doubt you could tell from a single test drive.

1/4 mile 14.9 @ 92mph
finance is not an issue the car is paid for. i want a cheaper car as i will be buying a house very soon but still want a decent hot hatch, also my gf will be driving soon so i want a smaller and easier car for her to drive as it will be her first car(i dont trust her with my ctr lol). the running cost's are more expensive as so is the insurance(not just one reaon) i see the clio as a cheaper option whilst still having a good hot hatch.

the ctr has had alot of modifactions that i will be selling and will put the money to one side. hope this makes more sense

kev

1/4 mile 14.9 @ 92mph
seem's a bit odd this forum, i feel you are telling me too keep the ctr as the clio has issues???? how do you rate the 172 compared to the 182? they seem to be alot cheaper than the 182, i just like the look of the rear bumper on the 182 with the twin exhausts.

Last edited:

Da

Less
Cup's were only available in Racing blue or Inferno.

Mine below with both Cup packs fitted but isn't a Cup! :)

th_CanonCarPics013.jpg

th_CanonCarPics012.jpg

th_CanonCarPics011.jpg

All cars have issues, ignore the scare-mongering on here. I am on my third Clio now having owned them collectively for in excess of seven years and have never had any major issues of any kind! :)

1/4 mile 14.9 @ 92mph
Cup's were only available in Racing blue or Inferno.

Mine below with both Cup packs fitted but isn't a Cup! :)

th_CanonCarPics013.jpg

th_CanonCarPics012.jpg

th_CanonCarPics011.jpg

All cars have issues, ignore the scare-mongering on here. I am on my third Clio now having owned them collectively for in excess of seven years and have never had any major issues of any kind! :)

very smart that mate, thats the colour i want but the mises likes the other blue or silver colour :eek: how much should i be looking at to get a 182 with cup packs with 40k??

Da

Less
Cheers mate :)

The other blue it Arctic or the silver is Titanium, colours and numbers etc can be found here.

As for the prices, I'd say, dependant on colour etc, then for an 04 on 40k expect to pay from £6.5k to £7.5k.

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R
My Arctic Blue '04 182 with Both Cup Packs

Hi-Res2.jpg

As said a few times, I've racked up 38k Miles in 18 Months on mine and had no major problems at all,

CTR is a very nice car BTW

Last edited:

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode

pop into the problems and faults forum......speaks volumes for the problems on clio's

Your talking out of your arse mate!!! Look on any car forum and you'll see the cars faults :rolleyes: . I've had a 172 cup for 2.5 yrs, stuck 50k on that, and a 182 for 8 months, stuck 10 on that. Both were driven hard, with no major faults in any way. Again just the odd interior rattle, but nothing electrical/major etc

LY 182 FF CUPPED
oh and the fact you park your car anywhere above 5 degrees c and your steering wheel melts!!

Astra van,Mk1 nova
i love the ctr mate, i was about to get one but the insurance was going to be 4k a year:eek: so i settled for the 172 cup:cool: ive had no problems with mine so far "touch wood" apart from the interior plastics rattling/squeaking like normal lol

Spec C 12.5@110 (345/355)

Your talking out of your arse mate!!! Look on any car forum and you'll see the cars faults :rolleyes: . I've had a 172 cup for 2.5 yrs, stuck 50k on that, and a 182 for 8 months, stuck 10 on that. Both were driven hard, with no major faults in any way. Again just the odd interior rattle, but nothing electrical/major etc

Exactly, pop into the problems part of the CTR forum, it's not immune to problems either. I too am baffled how changing to an 04 182 will save you money or gain you any more capital to speak of?? Servicing/running the two cars is almost identical too!

LY 182 FF CUPPED
people keep saying I am talking out of my arese??? why?
I am telling you FACT ....I have not said it happens to every clio of course....just mine.
I am sure there are some dodgy ctr"s out there too.
I am sure the guy that started the thread is sitting back and reading all comments .......and making up his own mind.
I love my car, handling, speed, running costs etc.....just saying some of the things that can and do go wrong on a daily basis.
Just a good job I have still got a years warranty left.

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R
PlanetX why don't you just sell your car if you hate the Clio that much, I've done 38k Miles without a Problem, Steering Wheel is in Very Good Condition, Not too many Rattles either, Just lowered it on Coilies so it does rattle a little b it BUT which car doesn't??

LY 182 FF CUPPED
fUbars is an awesome example of how nice these cars can look.....MINT

I probably have a BAD APPLE

1/4 mile 14.9 @ 92mph
thats awesome mate but are they not about 9k+. i should be about £2500+ up if i sell my ctr and can get a 182 for £6500-7k. like said i have alot of modifications to sell plus spare alloys, tyres and a few other jdm bit's. to me the extra cash is alot to go towards a deposit, i need all the cash i can get;)

kev

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R
Hellsbells on here has an EP3 so she may be interested in soem of the CTR Bits, Worth a PM