ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My First GoPro Advice

eugegall

ClioSport Club Member
What shall I get? Money no object, which will be the best.

It will purely be used to film skiing, flying my plane, holidays, p**n, social events, dog. s**t like that.

I'm thinking Go Pro Hero4 Silver with the playback touchscreen. I like the idea of being able to see exactly what you're filming.

Any advice at all would be welcomed.

XX

If you want a 4, I'd buy a silver, specs are way beyond what most will actually use without going near the black.....but the screen is a bit of a gimmick if you have the remote or app IMO, even when I had my basic hero 1 I never had an issue lining up shots, the wide angle lens is so forgiving.
I saved a bit of cash and bought a 3+ black with remote last year instead of the 4 silver I set out to buy, very happy with it.
4 silver is a 3+ black with the rear screen spec wise.

Last edited:

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Screen is pointless and s**t.

Use the app.

I picked up a black for 260 in November from Amazon Italy (was actually delivered next day from Amazon uk)

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
If you want a 4, I'd buy a silver, specs are way beyond what most will actually use without going near the black.....but the screen is a bit of a gimmick if you have the remote or app IMO, even when I had my basic hero 1 I never had an issue lining up shots, the wide angle lens is so forgiving.
I saved a bit of cash and bought a 3+ black with remote last year instead of the 4 silver I set out to buy, very happy with it.
4 silver is a 3+ black with the rear screen spec wise.

4k 15fps is really poor though. May as well not bother filming in 4k.

eugegall

ClioSport Club Member
The Lexar 633x is brilliant, or the SanDisk Extreme - don't go for the SanDisk Ultra, or the Samsung Evo - I was running both and they will only do 20Mb/s write, when you want ~35-40Mb/s write for 60fps.
Cheers. Have just ordered two 64 GB ones. Not that I'll even fill one in one sitting just just in case... You know.

Renault Clio 172 Cup
i've recently got a 4 silver and the screen makes it so user friendly especially for a technophobe like myself. also all the features/specs are plenty good enough for most normal people ;)

jonno_c

ClioSport Club Member
  VW T6
Is it worth getting a black over the silver? I'd like to do some car/bike filming and some night photography. Just trying to work out if the extra $$ is worth it.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
Is it worth getting a black over the silver? I'd like to do some car/bike filming and some night photography. Just trying to work out if the extra $$ is worth it.

No, go for the silver (as I did). The rear screen is brilliant.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
Was just researching again and was coming to that conclusion! How do you get on with the App? (If you use it that is).

It's good but kills the battery life (wifi really drains the battery). 4K recording is the same so kind of pointless unless you carry around a stash of batteries and memory cards.

At 1080p I got a around 90mins recording with (very) limited wifi use iirc.

jonno_c

ClioSport Club Member
  VW T6
Went for the GoPro 4 Silver and got an extra battery for £16. Off to Snowdonia this weekend so will report back with some pics soon.

Might as well bump this. Thinking of getting a GoPro Hero + LCD as I have about £200 budget. Anyone had any experience with one? Also, what's the sound recording like for speech?

Decent cam but I'd buy a used 3+ black with remote for that money (I did and previously had a hero), the difference in quality, especially in low light is staggering. They're all pretty good for sound IMO, you can plug in a cheap external mic, I've not needed to.
The lcd is really isn't needed, they are so simple to set up, you can used the 3-4 with the app if you really need to check what you're pointing at.

BMW 330ci
I'm looking to get a go pro to use in Mexico and New York this year. Which one would be the best to get budget is around £200-£250 don't mind getting used just wondering if the 3 is massively different quality wise compared to the hero 4 silver.

FatRS

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 250
If anyone has a screen they think is pointless and is willing to sell, please PM me with a price before I ask for one for my birthday.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
The screen is good but drains battery...so does the wifi though so it's a no win situation. Only solution is to carry multiple batteries.

BMW 330ci
So I've got my go pro, and I've been doing a few videos just messing about but the videos seem really juddery** Ive had it on a stick but still seem really bad. Would it be down to the quality being too high ?

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Get a black, film in 4k, doesn't matter if your aim is a little off without a screen to guide you as you can easily crop in on your subject and still have 1920 x 1080 footage.

Screens on GoPros are a little pointless...they kill battery life and the wide angle means you 99.9% of the time capture exactly what you're after anyway. I've just spent two weeks holiday filming with a black and a session. I've come back with 8 hours of footage and of that, roughly 7 hours and 59 minutes captured exactly what I wanted.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Was your film a bit juddery ? just feels like it doesn't flow very good if you know what I mean.

They're not the best things for smoothness...handheld you will get lots of movement uness you're just holding it static. Filming in 4k helps as you can apply stabilisation and still keep a good HD resolution. If I'm filming while walking I use my Sony FDR-AX33 which has incredible inbuilt steady shot capability...very steady footage regardless of how much you're shaking or moving.