ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My first tank of Standard unleaded

S-Max
The day I picked up my cup in June I noticed when stationary that the car was shaking a bit. It soon went away....

Last week I forgot completely and then realised I was on red with the petrol light on and was in an area I didn't know too well. I saw a Total and pulled in for some "excelcium" (cant remember when its 97 or 98). Unfortunately they had none less so I have no choice but to go for the standard unleaded.

It has given me chance to see if there is any difference, as when I first got the car I couldn't really judge being new to the car. Well, the pull in second gear is half what it is normally and the car has gone back to that slight shake when sitting at lights. It must have been 95 ron unleaded that was in there when I drove it away and I tell you what I cant wait till I have to fill up in a day or two!!!

I will never get standard again, and unless my car's a freak, anyone that doesn't notice the difference must be mad!

it really can mess up your car ive seen it alot as im in the trade, and its really bad on the new 197s ive heard, if you dont put above 97ron init your walking a tightrope.

S-Max
I tell you never again for me less than 97 ron. The difference is like driving a cup one day and a ff the next ;)

I only ever use shell v power after seeing how it totally transformed my 1.6clio, the difference in throttle reaponse is unbeleivable, its great for your engine, and supposed to give you better mpg after prolonged use, but its developed by ferrari (italian) so its probably cheating in some way!

I apologize in advance to any italians out there, but check out lazio's last season and ferraris antics in the last grand prix...

VW Golf TDI
well my car has the sort of shaking effect at lights, I run mine on normal unleded I used to have a 172 as well and that did the same never thought to fill it with 97 ron before even though it says to on the petrol cap, and for the 1pound extra it costs to fill the tank it sounds like it might beworth it, my new 182 cup seems sluggish compared to my 172 ff, so ill give it a go im sure I wont see the affectsuntil 2 or 3 fills tho.

Leon Cupra 300
i always use v-power now.. its worth about 2.5mpg extra i reckon on average. and its quicker and its better for your engine, so wat if it costs an extra 3quid or so to fill up with it, i mean thats like 1 pint aint it :D

Scirocco GT 210
I can't remember the last time I used super unleaded in my clio. Car runs sweet.

Cheapo regular all the way :approve:

philmots said:
i always use v-power now.. its worth about 2.5mpg extra i reckon on average. and its quicker and its better for your engine, so wat if it costs an extra 3quid or so to fill up with it, i mean thats like 1 pint aint it :D

Exactly. Its a no-brainer!!

nothing, blown up!
use tescos super 99 or 98 dont remeber, but it actually tests @102 or sumin, add 40 bhp to a mitsi evo lol

Leon Cupra 300
Steve2004 said:
I can't remember the last time I used super unleaded in my clio. Car runs sweet.

Cheapo regular all the way :approve:

go run it on v-power then... itll run sweet-er :cool:

S-Max
I'm going to try me some V power for the next 3 tanks at least and go from there. I want to get as close to empty as possible to make sure as much of the standard shite is gone!!

I sound like a right snob but what a difference!!

RenaultSport clio 182 Cup
Fair play to you lot talking about this, Im always using standard unleaded in my 182 clio cup and to be honest the few times I did put Optimax in it, I never noticed a difference.
Surely though this new Shell V-Power is just a nice new name for it.
The petrol I noticed made a difference is BP Ultimate.
after reading all this though its high juice all the way for me.

Scirocco GT 210
cliott said:
i have clio cup 172 what petrol should i be putting it in when i fill up then??

Whatever petrol you like. People here reckon v-power has advantages over regular, might try it for a few tanks when I can afford it!

Just don't put diesel in it :clown:

cliott said:
i have clio cup 172 what petrol should i be putting it in when i fill up then??
At least super unleaded 97 RON min. If you're feeling rich go for V-Power or Ultimate.

172 Cup (2003)
Question on all this.....

If i have a very small amount of normal fuel (maybe £3 or £4 worth) left in the tank, and i fill up with this super duper stuff, will i still see benefits? or should i run it to practically empty?

gazzrenn said:
Question on all this.....

If i have a very small amount of normal fuel (maybe £3 or £4 worth) left in the tank, and i fill up with this super duper stuff, will i still see benefits? or should i run it to practically empty?

The real benefits from the better fuels are higher MPGs and better cleaning of your engine and they will slowly happen as you use V-Power/Ultimate.

No matter what people say I do not believe that changing fuel yields an immediate change in feel/response in the car! The placebo effect is an amazing thing and knowing that your fuel is the bit that was too good for Schumacher's Ferrari can make you think that you've had a prancing horse power plant popped under your bonnet!

Yes in the long run premium fuels are better, but don't expect to beating Veyrons after one tank!

172 Cup (2003)
chiefsilverback said:
The real benefits from the better fuels are higher MPGs and better cleaning of your engine and they will slowly happen as you use V-Power/Ultimate.

No matter what people say I do not believe that changing fuel yields an immediate change in feel/response in the car! The placebo effect is an amazing thing and knowing that your fuel is the bit that was too good for Schumacher's Ferrari can make you think that you've had a prancing horse power plant popped under your bonnet!

Yes in the long run premium fuels are better, but don't expect to beating Veyrons after one tank!

Thanks for that, if only for the MPG it may be worth me going for this.

chiefsilverback said:
I did though! I went from 95 ron to V-Power and on that first tank pulled up at the lights next to a Veyron. He had me down the straights but there was only 1 car length in it, but when we hit the twisties I left his arse for dead.

BMW 330d :)
In terms of performance difference you would only notice this in a 172/182 according to allen collen on the renaultsport site due to these cars being mapped to run on the higher octane fuel. It does however help to clean the engine of deposits.

172.com said:
I did though! I went from 95 ron to V-Power and on that first tank pulled up at the lights next to a Veyron. He had me down the straights but there was only 1 car length in it, but when we hit the twisties I left his arse for dead.

That's got nothing to do with fuel though, you'll always be faster in the twisties, but if you'd gone BP Ultimate 102 you'd have whupped his ass on the straights too!

182 Full Fat
V power all the way, Don't really notice the difference in performance. But when its idling it runs much smoother with V-power or similar 98RON

yeh i have noticed its a bit rigidty when starting up in the morning and leaving to idle while i put stereo etc... have put the vpower in at lunch so over the next cuple wks i keep using that see if i notice ne diffs

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3
i used normal unleaded all the time. Filled up with optimax a couple of times and makes no difference what so ever to my car.

Shell could sell ice to eskimos

FF Blackgold 182
lejaimlefunk said:
Fair play to you lot talking about this, Im always using standard unleaded in my 182 clio cup and to be honest the few times I did put Optimax in it, I never noticed a difference.
Surely though this new Shell V-Power is just a nice new name for it.
The petrol I noticed made a difference is BP Ultimate.
after reading all this though its high juice all the way for me.

Was reading in EVO about V Power. It's 99 RON instead of 98 RON like Optimax, so it's supposed to be better. More cleaning properties too. BP do a 102 RON fuel at 8 filling stations in the country. It apparently added over 40 BHP to a Porsche GT3, after the ECU was re-mapped to run on 102 RON fuel. I fill up on V Power now whenever possible. Pick up is def quicker and smoother as a result.

Clart said:
i used normal unleaded all the time. Filled up with optimax a couple of times and makes no difference what so ever to my car.
Doesn't the ECU remap itself to use a lower grade fuel? If so you won't notice when you put good stuff in as the car's not mapped properly to make best use of it.

Clio 172 cup
Not tried Vpower in my clio yet but did use it in my Cosworth and it made ALOT of difference run loads better pulled harder and went quicker. Will stick some in the clio this week and give it a go :)

RenaultSport clio 182 Cup
172.com said:
He had me down the straights but there was only 1 car length in it, but when we hit the twisties I left his arse for dead.

At the end of day the magazine (possibly Evo or Top Gear) that put the 182 up against the BMW M6 didnt do it for a laugh.
Everyone knows the Clio kicks arse rounds corners!!!!!!!
I would love to see the clio up aginst some other beasts because I reckon it could do a lot of damage to some cars that cost 4/5 times as much.

ONLY ROUND CORNERS OF COURSE THOUGH ;)

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
I normally use V power Tesco 99 or Sainsbury's super unleaded, and i don't really noticed that much difference between the super unleaded fuels and standard unleaded, except she does idle alot better when run on the higher octane fuels [98 or above]

nothing, blown up!
Anim@l said:
Was reading in EVO about V Power. It's 99 RON instead of 98 RON like Optimax, so it's supposed to be better. More cleaning properties too. BP do a 102 RON fuel at 8 filling stations in the country. It apparently added over 40 BHP to a Porsche GT3, after the ECU was re-mapped to run on 102 RON fuel. I fill up on V Power now whenever possible. Pick up is def quicker and smoother as a result.
aye mate its the same as the tesco 99 it ACTUALLY CHEMICALLY TESTS @ 101 or 103 i cant remeber, added 46bhp to a mitsi evo!! my father is a chemist btw lol

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I did use Optimax for a while, though the Shell garages near me (at home) are all closing? Time for another lunch-time CS mini-meet at Samlesbury Shell garage, then! ;)

D.

S-Max
Filled with Ultimate today and back to its best already! (did get the petrol light on and the drove like 15-20 miles to get rid of that standard crap!

i have run my baby on bp ultimate since buying it back in january and it had 47k on the clock so not sure what it been run on before i put this cos obviously the benfits i had heard anyway this week cos of the price drop in fuel i thought f**k it and i willput normal and to be completely honest i have not seen and difference what so ever in performance or idling of the engine also the car starts first time for some strange reason as of late it seem to struggle in the morning and start on second attempt but now engine starts really strong straight away...i would never use suopermarket fuels standard because i heard they are not great quality that is why they are able to offer 5p of litre when you spend money on food...so i think unless i am prooved other wise i will stick to bp standard fuel get more fuel for the money of course and the mpg is exactly the same currently at 33.4 mpg cheers

al

ST on the way...
Gaz (gazeratti) started using Tesco 99 a few weeks ago after previously being on normal 95, ahnd he can't beleive the difference it's made, engine feels so perky!!

I'm on V-Power in my 1.6 at the moment, no noticable difference yet.