ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My Hill Power RR Results ...

Lionel Richie
AJRMOTORSPORT said:
No no at the Fly...The ATW figure is VERY inaccurate as it's different in every gear!!!!

15k miles

are you on crack???? the fly figure is the inaccurate one!!!

Maz

LY 200
Swervin_Mervin said:
I'd like to congratulate Maz for having a very nicely modded 182. So nice, in fact, that I was secretly hankering after it.

I scrubbed all my skin off in the shower when I got home though, so I'm all right now.;)

Loved the tail pipes.

Cheers mate .. hope you didn't scrub too hard .. :clown: lol

Cheers Fred ..

Maz :)

Maz

LY 200
^^ had to pay for it r-jay £11.75 for the data cd .. got print outs etc too

Andy .. go for it mate ..

Thanks Kully

Maz said:
^^ had to pay for it r-jay £11.75 for the data cd .. got print outs etc too

Andy .. go for it mate ..

Thanks Kully

woul b funny when sum of the big boyz show their figures.....
bet they dont:quiet: too ashamed ....not as much as theyd wish:rasp:

LOL .....NO replies required ..thanx

Megane Trophy
PFFT - whoever said the at the wheel figure is innacurate as it changes in each gear - where did you get that from?

Its the flywheel figure thats innacurate!
To get the flywheel figure it applies a few equations and takes the transmission loss into account.

Id say thats not too bad, 20-30% transmission loss is about right and you will be looking at 175 - 180 bhp which is about right

^^^ 30% transmission losses?? we're not driving 4x4's!

AJRMOTORSPORT said:
No no at the Fly...The ATW figure is VERY inaccurate as it's different in every gear!!!!

15k miles

LMAo.. ya talking out your ass..

where do they measure the power??

at the wheels.. thats the one to look at.

the at fly figure is just calculated from the run down losses and guestimated..

138 at wheels should be about 170ish shouldnt it?
about 18% losses for a FWD car?

170 - 18% = 139bhp ATW

Last edited:
  Fiat Coupe 20v turbo
^^with vin diesels lifetime supply of NOS!;)

Results were fine for maz's car imo some people just having trouble understanding a r/r grapg lol I'll get that vid over to you Maz when I've got a min..

think all the confusion was about that 150bhp figure which i still dont realise what it is.

most places give you wheels figure, fly figure, and a torque figure..

Mondeo STTDCI
My understanding always was that the 182 isnt 182bhp anyway, its 182ps (?) which is a European measurement, translating into 179bhp.

With the loss from the fly to the wheels I always expected it to be around 140bhp ATW.

Maz

LY 200
Martin. said:
^^with vin diesels lifetime supply of NOS!;)

Results were fine for maz's car imo some people just having trouble understanding a r/r grapg lol I'll get that vid over to you Maz when I've got a min..

Martin.. thats ace thanks for that mate .. :approve:

Guy .. why don't you go and play with cars on the motorway .. :clown: lol

Maz :D

Maz said:
Martin.. thats ace thanks for that mate .. :approve:

Guy .. why don't you go and play with cars on the motorway .. :clown: lol

Maz :D

no need to be like that is there.

said above its around 170ish bhp, which is usually the norm for '182's.

in other thread you said you wished you had left the car standard...

does that mean standard ride height etc too?

Maz

LY 200
It was a joke Guy .. as you always seem to get very arsey in these type of subjects and tbh I just don't want you to do so in my thread and it end up being deleted ..

If you were to have explained without the attitude in the first place we wouldn't be having this conversation...

I am p1ssed off with my exhaust and Renault at the moment and that was the only reason I said I wish I had kept it standard ..

I luv my lil nasty girl ;) .. lol

Maz said:
If you were to have explained without the attitude in the first place we wouldn't be having this conversation...

Guy said:
150.7bhp 182 ? !!!

yes, loads of attitude there.. followed by a question mark.

think youve got mixed up with someone elses post..

Maz

LY 200
^ It wasn't that comment I was talking about Guy.. and tbh I can't be bothered to explain ..

Clio 220 lpg
Have bin reading about your power figures and I thought I would tell you mine I have a 172 exhaust manifold no cat 42mm throttle bodies with jenvey ram pipes and programable Link ecu. my car on the day would only rev to 7200, but the figures are as so 166 torque ft at 6800 and 170 bhp at the wheels at 7200 , looking at the graph there was more power to come over 7200.

FF 182, K5 GSX-R1000
The peak power is made @ 6500 with 111lb/ft which equals the 138hp figure, so whats the obs (150hp) figure mean?

Ferrari enzo
Has anyone here ever put one of these engines on an engine dyno and know what they really produce? Manufacturers always claim way more than vehicles really make.
I recently built a 1400cc hayabusa engine for an autograss customer. He took it to a local dyno where it measured 140bhp at the wheels. Thinking this was really low, we took it to another place 2 days later and it read over 180bhp at the wheels. On my dynojet bike dyno it read almost 220bhp at the wheels! This is a prime example of the huge differences you can see between dyno's.
Other things to look for are correction factors. SAE as used on this one is a low reading correction as is EEC. DIN and STD read typically much higher. So 150SAE might be 155 or more on DIN.
As stated earlier, you will get different power readings in different gears as well. Tyre pressures also affect power readings as can how tight the straps are pulled down.
Also, the first couple of runs will be lower than the later ones due to tyres warming up, room temperature changing, etc.
Where the weather station is positioned can also skew results.
Ambient temperature also has a massive affect on results. In winter i usually see about 5bhp more than summer on 130bhp engines.
What does all this mean? There are too many variables to compare. A dyno is a tool for getting a decent fuel map sorted and doing back to back tests on parts and tuning mods, nothing else. Only way to compare 2 cars is go to the same dyno on the same day and run under same conditions.

Maz

LY 200
^^ can't answer that question but I am sure someone who knows what they are talking about can ..

Audi TT 225 Quattro
the obs power fig is the power the car made on the day taking in to consideration the weather and everythingelse... the other fig is a fig produced by the computer which exagerates the same conditions (i.e making it worse for the car) and gives u the lower power fig, i think this is right....

GDI Demo 182, Rsi Spider
138 bhp ATW = 176 bhp which is about right. std is 179
116 ft lbs = 148 ft/lbs again a little low

peak power and torque are in the right places, so i dont think there is much wrong here.... i would have liked to see about 160 ft/lbs on a std car but they get better around 18k miles mark.

Andy

FF 182, K5 GSX-R1000
skinner said:
How did it go so far past the rev limit in presumably 4th gear?

Not that far past limiter but looks like a modified ECU.

Andy, dont you think losses of over 20% are a little high?

Could have been affected by the faulty exhaust baffles :~

Last edited:

Maz

LY 200
Never thought about the baffles .. lol I am bloody baffled with all this lot .. I don't think I will ever understand lol

GDI Demo 182, Rsi Spider
Paul J said:
Not that far past limiter but looks like a modified ECU.

Andy, dont you think losses of over 20% are a little high?

Could have been affected by the faulty exhaust baffles :~

not at all

i am not talking tranny losses... but RR losses...

two contact points... etc etc all adds up

FF 182, K5 GSX-R1000
OK fair enough.

What do you think about the rpm relating to the speed, doesnt add up according to below (vid shows 7400rpm = 108mph):
Clio-in-gear-speeds.gif

GDI Demo 182, Rsi Spider
I can only assume they the speed calculated on the rolling diameter of the wheels and the computer calcultes the actual speed.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Andy GDI said:
138 bhp ATW = 176 bhp which is about right. std is 179
116 ft lbs = 148 ft/lbs again a little low

peak power and torque are in the right places, so i dont think there is much wrong here.... i would have liked to see about 160 ft/lbs on a std car but they get better around 18k miles mark.

Andy

Is that not a bit heath Robinson approach to working it out?? ^

GDI Demo 182, Rsi Spider
its average figures... yes... it can vary about 2-3% either way of that.

the only accurate figures are on engine dynos and even then it can be wrong if the correction factors are not bob on.

This has been discussed over and over.... but we have had countless cars on ther rollers and its fairly accurate.