ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

my hybrid/turbo project

Rb182cup+s2 rallye
Ok so thought id start a project thread as things are getting a bit more serious with the car.

Just over a year ago I sold my immaculate Williams for another Clio went looking for a hybrid so I could have some fun with it, taking it apart, modding it and most importantly for me learn about the cars.
I found a very tidy looking hybrid it had just had alot spent on it with an engine re build gearbox re furb and a long list of new parts.
Looked perfect so went and had a look it drove real nice, nice steering feel nice gearshift brakes spot on it was just what I was after so I took it home that night. Cost me 2k so was a decent price for a tidy little hybrid.
My main plan was to strip it and get it tidy and try not to spend too much and spread the spending out.
When I first got it ….

(pics to come photobucket aint letting me upload them)

I then added some Williams wheels, some clear side repeaters and got started stripping it. I also painted the inside matt black with some of halfords finest. I also added a de-cat and itg panel filter with fog light scoops from tweeks witch improved things quite abit oh and some nice 1.2 badges lol and a Williams steering wheel. all this over a period of a few months .…

cliolow2.jpg

cliolow1.jpg

strpped.jpg

Then I got bored didn’t really want the car so started looking for a integra type r. the car just got to me abit needed new tyres, tax, cv boot doing, power steering was making a awful noise (turned out it just needed more fluid) and I just couldn’t be arsed so was close to selling. Then I sorted all that and got the bug back.

With the bug back I decided to start playing again I painted my inlet black (was meant to be gloss but came out satinL) added another cold air feed to the air box to help it breath a little more. I took to old air feed chopped it up abit cut a hole in the air box and had the feed running alongside the battery to the hole behind the passenger side front light.
I also changed siderepeaters to some oval smocked universal jobbies as the clear just stood out abit to much.

Pics of a car around this point
06052008238.jpg

midlandsmeet041107027.jpg

midlandsmeet041107017.jpg

midlandsmeet041107008.jpg

04112007037.jpg

midlandsmeet041107038.jpg

I was getting bored of the silver Williams wheels so bought some center caps for them as they was needed badly and was unsure what colour to do them but decided on satin black painted one side and it looked good.
but in the end I thought id put a layer of laquer on to give it a cleaner look and think I made the right decision in the end.
At this point I also painted the front diamond and rear badges satin black and removed the rear wiper covering the hole with a ghetto fix of black tape lol.

Before…
midlandsmeet041107027.jpg

Satin…
wheels1.jpg

With laquer
11062008281.jpg

since ive added some cobra monacos and bought a new engine that should be going in this weekend sometime heres a quick spec list of that..

-Clio 1.8 16valve engine
-Turbo converted
-Block rebored 0.5 over size
-Block modified for oil return
-Block chemically cleaned and painted black
-Wossnor over size low comp turbo forged pistons with jap spec ringd
-Wossnor forged h section rods
-APR race spec rod bolts
-Big and small end bearings
-Autosprint lighten balanced flywheel re faced
-Spec stage 3+carbon clutch
-Refurbed oil pump
-Oil seals and gaskets
-1.9mm turbo spec head gasket
-Autosprint full race spec head re faced 3degree seats shortened valve guilds new stem seals. re shaped combustion chamber extensive metal removed from head all smoothed.
-highly polished inlet manifold enlarged 2 suit smoothed and polished
-in and out ports enlarged as much as possible Williams valve new seats/guides/re faced
-Autosprint 265degree camshafts
-Enlarged and re shaped throttle body flowed and polished knife edged butterfly’s
-Bb turbo manifold polished internally modified 2 fit t3 turbo
-Cosworth t3 hybrid turbo
-1 off turbo back down pipe
-Bb turbo oil feed
-502cc dark grey injectors
-Mocal 13 row oil cooler
-Pipercross foam cone filter
-8mm silicone ford ht leads
-In car adj boost 9/22psi-31 actuator
-Hi tensile head bolts
-Go tec mfi pro stand alone management with custom wiring loom and 36/1 trigger wheel
-Group a dump valve
-Heat wrapped down pipe
-Custom oil catch tank
-Custom charge cooler
-Bb throttle body adapter
-Bb braided oil feed
-Uprated fuel pump
-De cat

pic of the engine just sat in my shed
11072008319.jpg

It’s a big spec list and should hopefully see around 300 brake so its gonna be lively

Heres some current pics of the car ill add more at the weekend when the engine goes in and when they upload if photobucket stops being homo.

11062008289.jpg

11062008275.jpg

11062008274.jpg

11062008290.jpg

11062008299.jpg

Along the way ive had a few fix’s replaced a load of little bits and bobs and so far ive loved working on it every time I get under it or remove something I learn something new witch was the point of the car. And in my opinion its looking spot on its just a matter of cash holding me back getting it exactly how I want it but isn’t that always the case lol.

Plans for the future…
Smooth the boot and bonnet
Cage it
New buckets (mine aren’t to comfy)
Relocate battery to boot
Harnesses
Something about the sunroof (leaks and weights to much :p)
Front and rear door cards going to make my own
Possibly remove stereo and speakers
Bigger brakes (ASAP with this engine lol)

Hope you like fanks muchly

No doubt ill be along soon to edit this with more info or ill just add it later on.

ValverInBits
502 CC injectors? You don't fcuk about do you !! :)

This should be good for just over 300 bhp.

Give my regards to your gearbox whether it's 172, R5 GTT, willy or (god forbid) valver.

Love your car mate.

Rb182cup+s2 rallye
haha yeah gearbox will s**t it self no doubt but i wont be going mad as it needs running in so should be good for a thousand miles haha

ValverInBits
haha yeah gearbox will s**t it self no doubt but i wont be going mad as it needs running in so should be good for a thousand miles haha

there is another guy on here with a really nice tungsten turbo valver. Hes running a valver box @ 215ish bhp iirc???
He says that he drains swarf out in the Gbox oil. :D
All good fun and games :cool:

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
Think that engine could do with coming out of your shed & being dropped in my 172 :evil:

Tidy car, likeing the black on black :cool: Animal of an engine by the looks of it

iimushroomzii

Toilet roll king
  Transit Connect.
Very tidy looking valver mate! That engine looks the dogs bollux too, surely you wont be able to drive a 300bhp front wheel drive car with the slightest dampness on the roads?

Stage 2 172 Turbo
Good work!! Looks like your closer to turbo power than me at the moment (not even got my block/head back yet!!) hope it all goes well at the weekend, will be fun when done:D

Tungy
Gorgeous hybrid you got mate and an absolute beast of an engine. Can't wait to see vids when it's up, running and run in :D

Rb182cup+s2 rallye
thanks for the comments chaps as for driving it in the wet, well itll be interesting but im not the kinda person to drive it hard all the time im a very mellow driver lol but give it beans now and again.

brad yeah man im up for a meet when its all in and running im up for it few others around our parts with mk1s so a meet and pics would be cool.

RS Clio 172 Phase 2
Can you get a quaife or similar LSd for the mk1's?

Very nice looking clio there mate and then engine looks like a fookin monster :evil:

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
A Garrett T3! Nothing nothing nothing nothing, 18psi, change gear hehe

What management will you be running as the STD ecu will throw a fit with 500cc's fitted.

Rb182cup+s2 rallye
yeah haha the chap i got it off was saying how the normal one would run out of puff.

its running stand alone management

renault clio 16v
good reading ! you did a nice job with the work on this car !
PS : also, as someone above said it : 1.2 badges a smart touch. :)

Last edited:
  Rb182cup+s2 rallye
cars probably set me back 2500 so far including the car then engine was 2.1k so 4.5 ish so far.

blimy thats actually quite abit ive spent on it lol could of had a integra for that. lol