ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My Internet shite....help.

Mondeo TDCI 130
Moved house about 6 weeks ago, moved the internet with bt. (Always been with them)

Its shocking, slow as f**k, can't watch videos on YouTube etc, regularly doesn't work at all
Rang and complained several times, but it seems a waste of time.

I have another net connection (same bt package) about 1/4 mile away and it's much better, but the phone line comes from a different direction.

am I just going to have to live with it, or if I play f**k enough will something happen?? Any one had similar problems?

cheers :)

SQ5
Tested straight into the master socket, not via the secondary plate on the front?

Any other telephone sockets in house?

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
What do BT estimate you get, do the checker on their website. It will also till you if infinity (BT's fibre offering) is available.

If you're far away from the exchange then you could be stuck with it until some sort of fibre comes your way.

Mondeo TDCI 130
Bt estimate 2mbps I don't have a clue what that means. No infinity, and I very much doubt I will have that here in my lifetime lol!

exchange is prob 3 miles away at a guess.

Mondeo TDCI 130
Tested straight into the master socket, not via the secondary plate on the front?

Any other telephone sockets in house?

Only one main socket. Not sure what the secondary plate thing on the front means? Excuse me lack of knowledge! Lol

Renault clio 2005
Re: My Internet s**te....help.

Try a 3g dongle for a temporary measure.If You get 3g coverage. Then Call bt and say you are very unhappy and you will change providers unless things improve I would consider a wired connection to get extra speed and google chrome may increase browsing speed. Then look into Cable or even a original isdn when set up well can give very good results.

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Re: My Internet s**te....help.

Try a 3g dongle for a temporary measure.If You get 3g coverage. Then Call bt and say you are very unhappy and you will change providers unless things improve I would consider a wired connection to get extra speed and google chrome may increase browsing speed. Then look into Cable or even a original isdn when set up well can give very good results.

​lol?

Mondeo TDCI 130
Looking at my set up guide, I have an adsl master socket on the wall if that means anything?

surely if the line is s**t though, and far away from the exchange, who ever I go with it will be s**t?? I don't really understand these things!

been with bt for years though, never had a problem for what I require.

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Looking at my set up guide, I have an adsl master socket on the wall if that means anything?

surely if the line is s**t though, and far away from the exchange, who ever I go with it will be s**t?? I don't really understand these things!

been with bt for years though, never had a problem for what I require.

Unscrew the faceplate and if you're socket isn't from the 70's you will have another socket that the faceplate plugs into, try pluging your microfilter into there and see if your sync/throughput increases.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Bt estimate 2mbps I don't have a clue what that means. No infinity, and I very much doubt I will have that here in my lifetime lol!

exchange is prob 3 miles away at a guess.

You're probably f**ked then.

BT quote 3-5mbps by me and we only get 1mbps (or did until infinity came), and we were just like you, without being able to watch video's online and a generally unreliable service. Changing ISP made no difference.

How about Virgin, is that available? Probably not but worth checking.

Check your speed on speedtest.net too.

SQ5
Unscrew the faceplate and if you're socket isn't from the 70's you will have another socket that the faceplate plugs into, try pluging your microfilter into there and see if your sync/throughput increases.

It's also worth a call and asking them to reset the line. If its seen a lot of dropouts they will throttle your Internet speed.

Mondeo TDCI 130
To give you an idea of the area, there are only 2 houses with the same postcode.... Lol! I'm in the sticks, forgotten by the advanced world! Thanks folks, will do the bits and report back.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
BT will install FTTP anywhere I thought?

Will cost you though, and if you're in the sticks it will be mega £££.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Refresh my memory, which is fttp again?

how much is it likely to cost to get fibre installed if the exchange is about a mile away? Anyone know?

SQ5
BT will install FTTP anywhere I thought?

Will cost you though, and if you're in the sticks it will be mega £££.

Yea they will, they did it somewhere local here or in Scotland I believe, massive amounts of money and fund raising from community though.

BMW F21 125d
Steve won't get Fibre in Malpas, they only got electricity last Thursday! Give me a shout mate if your struggling, but as you correctly said if your miles from the exchange you won't get a great deal of speed with any provider with copper pair. Also remember that you may be further 'by the wire' than as the crow flys as it were! How close is your nearest neighbour, have they got a similar issue?

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Have you actually done a speed test? Mine varies between 1.5-2mb and never really have an issue with watching youtube videos etc.

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Yea they will, they did it somewhere local here or in Scotland I believe, massive amounts of money and fund raising from community though.

Exactly, its highly unlikely it would happen without ALOT of work from the community to make it happen.

Renault clio 2005
Exactly, its highly unlikely it would happen without ALOT of work from the community to make it happen.

This was the same when broadband was first introduced we had to get at least 2000 signatures for it to be even considered in my small town. tbh The benefits That I have recieved compared to my isdn dial up connection have been very minimal. I can stream a video now on broadband where as on dial up I had to wait 1 min for the video to download and then watch effortlessly through windows media player. Everyone laughs and jokes about dial up saying it was rubbish. But If You had a good connection with good compression and decent pc It was pretty much as quick as broadband in most areas.