ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My Itb'd/cam'd 172 Monaco

Renault 5 Turbo
Bought this car last year, and have done a few things to it, with a few other things still in progress, so thought i'd throw it up here ;)

car when i first bought it

DSC_0084.gif

next day fitted this, didnt like the standard one at all

DSC_0083.gif

Then had these fitted at ktec

IMG_0006.gif

Then had it setup at Northampton motorsport

IMG_0038.gif

IMG_0039.gif

The difference the setup made was fantastic, money well spent imo :approve:

Then did a rr day at tdf, and found the engine was only producing 135bhp :eek: oh dear!!
So decided to get on with building the engine i bought off ebay

IMG_0204.gif

Part stripped it down, and sent the various parts to be cleaned up and modified

DSC_0060.gif

DSC_0069.gif

IMG_0251.gif

IMG_0252.gif

IMG_0257.gif

The head was done by cylinder head developements in bromsgrove, and i have gone for ED cams.

This is the bottom end all finished, acid dipped, lightened and balanced, honed, new rings and its all currently at BTM to be screwed together, but Freds just discovered a problem with the block, in the fact that one of the bores has a score down it, and maybe the result from a broken piston ring :mad: i wasn't happy to say the least, but Fred said he's gonna see what he can do to get the problem sorted.

IMG_0358.gif

IMG_0359.gif

So fingers crossed its not gonna be too bad, but just trying to get spirits up, after getting this far and to get knocked down a virtually the last hurdle is really frustrating. But its in the capable hands of Fred now so hopefully she'll be okay.... no pressure lol ;)

Cheers guys comments welcome :D

Craig.M

ClioSport Club Member
  Valver, Octavia vRS
Re: My 172 monaco

Good read that, take it your expecting a decent power increase as well, good luck to you with block tho.

AUDI A5 s-sline

Great start of a project mate, I suspect you shall she a big improvement in your next rr session! :).
Any more plans? :)

Renault 5 Turbo

Great start of a project mate, I suspect you shall she a big improvement in your next rr session! :).
Any more plans? :)

Na mate no more plans, i'll get all this finished and leave it at that, should make for a nice fast road car :)

Renault 5 Turbo

Hey Guys,

Quick update on the engine, finally got it back today, with the head screwed on and timed up.

They checked out the score that Fred found on the bore, and for safe measure removed the piston again and rehoned it, so nice one Fred for spotting that :)

IMG_0430.gif

IMG_0427.gif

The cars going round to Matts at TDF to be fitted and mapped in a couple of weeks :D so cant wait to get it back all finished :)

Cheers Matt.

Renault 5 Turbo

Hey guys, quick update, just dropped the car and engine off at TDF with Matt to get it fitted, and picking it up next Friday :)

Then gotta run it in for around 500miles, after this back upto TDF and getting it mapped :) can't wait.

225 Cup & Williams

Sweet hopefully the new engine should make at least standard power after it's refurb.

Ph2 172 MB 77/468

Monaco midlands frieeeeeend

New engine looks good fella. Fngers crossed for more power. Although that shouldnt be hard!

Megane 225 F1

Have a soft spot for a nicely done monaco. You are on the right tracks.

172 cup, Impreza P1

What are ed cams, are they tame or wild?

What are you hoping for out the engine when mapped?

Renault 5 Turbo

What are ed cams, are they tame or wild?

What are you hoping for out the engine when mapped?

They are tame mate nothing to wild, and power wise i have no idea, anything will be better than what its running lol ;)

Renault 5 Turbo

Little Update, spoke to Matt today and she fired up at the first turn of the key :), and ran lovely. Then revealed a small oil leak from the rear of the engine :eek:, crank seal i think he said....... gutted :(

Matt said he'll be able to fix it and i'll be picking it up next week now :) can't wait to get it done now and have a play :evil:

Renault 5 Turbo

Picked the car up today from Matt's, and it sprung an oil leak :( plus isnt idling to good at the moment but that'll be down to the flywheel being lightened and the lumpy ED cams. Matt said its not a problem to sort but it won't be going on his rollars until the leak is fixed, which to be honest i don't blame him :eek:

IMG_0461.gif

Oil leak....... not good :dapprove:

IMG_0462.gif

IMG_0463.gif

IMG_0465.gif

The leak looks like its from the sump gasket so gotta get it sorted before friday as she is being mapped.

Anybody know anyone who could fix it around the somerset area during the week?

Cheers guys :)

221bhp/ton Mondial Terror

Dont get the best of luck do you Matt! Hopefully will all come good in the end!

Renault 5 Turbo

Crap, was looking forward to having a spin in this too! :(

Don't worry buddy its only a couple of small set backs, will be running fine soon.

Just went out for a little drive through Kiddi and upto bridgenorth, taking it steady and keeping an eye on the oil light lol ;)

Then on the way back, what comes round the island in Kiddi nothing other than silver GTR :evil: i'd of had him lol ;)

Hey Matt, how much did you pay for the head work? You can pm me if ur not comfortable putting it on your thread!

Renault 5 Turbo

Took her out for a spin today, and my my get her above 4k and she takes off (not pushing it to hard though, still a few miles before changing the oil), and at the same time so so smooth, deffinately notice the difference with a fully balanced engine.

Managed to find the source of the oil leak, quite simply the sensors in the side of the block weren't tight enough... my fault :eek: woops, so shes all good again, can't wait to get it mapped and setup by Matt, sick of it cutting out every chance it gets at junctions and traffic lol ;)

As soon as she's setup i'll pop it on here :) cheers.

Took her out for a spin today, and my my get her above 4k and she takes off (not pushing it to hard though, still a few miles before changing the oil), and at the same time so so smooth, deffinately notice the difference with a fully balanced engine.

Managed to find the source of the oil leak, quite simply the sensors in the side of the block weren't tight enough... my fault :eek: woops, so shes all good again, can't wait to get it mapped and setup by Matt, sick of it cutting out every chance it gets at junctions and traffic lol ;)

As soon as she's setup i'll pop it on here :) cheers.

Good stuff! :approve:

clio mk1 RSI

nice car
BTW the reflection on your windscreen in the first pic looks like a crazy horror mask

Monaco 172

Greetings fellow monaco owner, like what you've had done.. i'll have to get mine rr'd at some point too want to know what its putting out.