ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My Itb'd/cam'd 172 Monaco

Renault 5 Turbo
Re: My 172 monaco

Went to Matts this morning, to get it mapped, some good some bad.

Good: she pulled 190bhp and 157lbft on the first run :)

Bad: Matt reckons the cam timing is out slightly (apparently these engines are very sensitive to it) because the power tails off at around 6700rpm and she can't hold tick over very well.

So plan is to go up next friday afternoon and Matt going to check the timing and give it another go :D

I'll get the graph up when he's emailed it to me, thats all folks ;)

172DD Cup

does that sticker on the steering wheel say "hero"? love it.

what is the hole corner weighting thing? i know it balances the car up, but what do they do to it- adjust the suspension depending on weight?

Renault 5 Turbo

does that sticker on the steering wheel say "hero"? love it.

what is the hole corner weighting thing? i know it balances the car up, but what do they do to it- adjust the suspension depending on weight?

lol no mate its nero

Yea they adjusted the suspension to the correct height , and helped to balance up the car, made a big difference to the way it handled :)

Renault 5 Turbo

how do they balance the car?

A scale under each wheel, and then take the weights from opposite corners with the computer calculating a percentage, 50% being spot on. mine came in at 49% if i remember so was happy with that :) cause not going to notice 1% on the road, he said some of the race cars he has in they have to get them right on the mark including driver ;)

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86

Went to Matts this morning, to get it mapped, some good some bad.

Good: she pulled 190bhp and 157lbft on the first run :)

Bad: Matt reckons the cam timing is out slightly (apparently these engines are very sensitive to it) because the power tails off at around 6700rpm and she can't hold tick over very well.

So plan is to go up next friday afternoon and Matt going to check the timing and give it another go :D

I'll get the graph up when he's emailed it to me, thats all folks ;)

Have you been back yet ?

Renault 5 Turbo

Got the car back today from ktec, all done and dusted :) she finally ticks over after having their gen90 ecu fitted and setup, and on their dyno made 191hp 160lbft :) that'll do.

The car is so much smoother now and pulls hard all the way upto the redline, plus now I've finished bedding the engine in this little car even though it's only got 190hp really does shift :) I love it.

Would like to say thanks to mike for sorting out the rattles from the engine and setting the timing correctly and andy for mapping the car, cheers fellas :)

Renault 5 Turbo

Engine dynamic cams
Lightly modified head
Standard internals
Fully lightened and balanced
Stealth exhaust

That's about it really mate :)

Renault 5 Turbo

Yes mate they are a little wilder than what I thought :)

Andy was saying today that throttle bodies will really release the potential of these cams...... hmmm tempted lol :)

Toms_clio

ClioSport Club Member
  TRACK CAR BREAKING

How are te engine dynamic cams? I might e getting some in July ?

221bhp/ton Mondial Terror

Nice to see its finally all sorted for you Matt. How come you didn't go for the EC1 ecu at TDF?

Renault 5 Turbo

Nice to see its finally all sorted for you Matt. How come you didn't go for the EC1 ecu at TDF?

Cheers buddy, it's more convenient for me to take it to ktec during the week cause it's only an hour from where I work, I'd have to loose the car for the week to take it to matts, they did a spot on job of finishing it off :)

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86

Did you try to run this on the standard ecu at first ? then switched to the gen90 ? I assume your planning ahead ie itb's ?

Renault 5 Turbo

Did you try to run this on the standard ecu at first ? then switched to the gen90 ? I assume your planning ahead ie itb's ?

Hit the nail on the head as they say ;) yea the standard ecu couldnt cope with the changes in the lower half of the rev range, i.e wouldn't idle and would stall very easily (it was driving me nuts!!!) so fitted the gen90 and she's running sweet ;) and of course opens possibilities to other options :)

billabong...

The engine you put it looked really tidy! Did you tidy the rest of the engine bay as you were doing it? Be good to see some pics! Also pretty good power gains! Nice work

Renault 5 Turbo

The engine you put it looked really tidy! Did you tidy the rest of the engine bay as you were doing it? Be good to see some pics! Also pretty good power gains! Nice work

Cheers mate, na left the engine the way it was, years ago I used to detail the engine bay on my old cars, but nowadays it's to much hastle, so long as she looks alright on the outside that'll do me ;)

I'll try get some pics up of the bay later, but it only looks like any other rs bay :) cheers for the comments buddy

Renault 5 Turbo

A quick update, picked the car up yesterday from Ktec after having itb's fitted and gotta say it is fantastic :)

It accelerates so much smoother and the noise is just addictive lol. After being setup she produced 206hp and to be honest that weren't to bad seeing that Tuesday was a pretty hot day and temps in the dyno cell were pushing 50 degrees :dead:

I'll put some pics up tomorrow, but I'd like to thank everyone who has helped with the car.
Fred @ Btm performance
Mike, Andy, Sean, Daryl @ Ktec
Matt @ TDF
Andy @ Cylinder head developments

Who ever is going Saturday see you at Gaydon :)

BMW 330ci sp/ 172Cup

Hi Matt,

Nice work - I didn't realise you had been through so much with this car already! Sounds like you now have a well spec'd engine and I'm jealous of that power! Think we will have to strip even more weight out of the Cup to compete ;)
You will have to take me out for a spin in it sometime soon :)

Renault 5 Turbo

Hi Matt,

Nice work - I didn't realise you had been through so much with this car already! Sounds like you now have a well spec'd engine and I'm jealous of that power! Think we will have to strip even more weight out of the Cup to compete ;)
You will have to take me out for a spin in it sometime soon :)

Hey Nick,

Yea anytime mate take you for a spin :) I don't think you'll need to strip it anymore mate lol it'll be plenty quick enough, but I do recommend itb's they are SWEEET!!! :) see you soon bud ;)

Renault 5 Turbo

Had the wheels refurbed last week, cause the two front and the spare were curbed and the rears were horrible

IMG_0490.gif

Quick pic of the ITB's, so glad i had these fitted :)

DSC_0319.gif

And gave her a quick clean for Clio Saturday

DSC_0320.gif

DSC_0322.gif

Who ever is going see you there tomorrow :)

BlackGold 182

Love it mate! How do you fin itb? Next year I will be looking at itbs I think, can you feel a big power difference? Obviously I no the noise on it is great

Renault 5 Turbo

Love it mate! How do you fin itb? Next year I will be looking at itbs I think, can you feel a big power difference? Obviously I no the noise on it is great

They are really good mate, there is a power difference but not big, its the way the engine responds to throttle inputs thats the big difference, its more eager to move on, like its saying "come stop fannying around and get on with it" ;)

Renault 5 Turbo
Gave the old girl a good clean today ready for the onslaught of winter cr£p :)

She's still running sweet and never misses a beat, and the induction roar is still as addictive as ever :evil:, few pics ;)

DSC_0001_2.gif

DSC_0002_2.gif

DSC_0003_2.gif

DSC_0004_2.gif

DSC_0005_2.gif

DSC_0006_2.gif

DSC_0007_2.gif

DSC_0008.gif

If anyone will be interested she'll be up for sale in the new year, i'll place an ad in the for sale section around mid/end of January, but if people want to get in contact before just pm me.

Cheers guys have a good christmas :clap: