ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My Leon Cupra R - Family Wagon...

Peugeot 308
Well after selling my MCS to a member on here, the search was on for a bigger, more family friendly bus.

With a budget of £4k, It was mainly a choice between either a Leon Cupra R or a Mondeo ST220....different cars all together in most aspects?!

I decided to go with an LCR, mainly because I'd decided the Mondeo was just too much of a car for me (size wise) on a daily basis, despite the fact it had alot more comfort and toys than the Seat.

After having my time wasted on 2 visits to possible LCR's, I was close to throwing in the towel and looking at Mondeo's, until I found this one just over an hour away. Its in the best colour (IMO), good mileage, good all-round condition with a reasonable service history.

Here's a quick snap of the car once home.

null_zpse8cdb4d4.jpg

As usual, Bosch Aerotwin blades, fresh plates and bulbs were the 1st port of call.

HID's....I've aligned the headlights as well as possible and havent managed to get flashed at once yet :rasp:

null_zps8059b52b.jpg

Next was to fit a new splitter. As can be seen, the car didnt come with one and they are forever common to break/fall off...

Scrabbling around...

null_zpsad6f736f.jpg

Fitted.

null_zpsc913b450.jpg

Scabby Seat tax disc holder...

null_zpsb59bb633.jpg

£3 Ebay special...

null_zps9a690b47.jpg

Next was the 'R' badges. There is 1 situated on the tailgate and 1 per wing that I had to replace.

Old v New -Boot.

null_zps656c971d.jpg

Old v New - Wing(s)

null_zpsbadd05ab.jpg

Rear Tow eye cover...still to be fitted (Seems to be an arse to fit...)

null_zps38471ce4.jpg

And some general quick snaps taken on the phone from this morning...

null_zps497062b8.jpg

null_zps72c4dfa1.jpg

null_zps807ae880.jpg

null_zpsa8cec110.jpg

Future plans In no real order:

New stereo unit (Alpine)
Lower slightly (Eibachs)
Re-Laquer Brembo's
Refurb wheels (Dark Anthracite / Black) + Fresh Rubber.
Possible Stage 1 Remap.

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
Nice, I like these. Even with the lights being aligned, they still don't look right. And that's with a daytime pic as well.

Maybe a 172 Cup..
Big fan of these. Looks good, just keep working your way round making it factory fresh.

Then you can move onto changing TIP and diverter valve before remap....

Peugeot 308
Looks great. What did the new splitter cost? I need one for the TT.

Just over £30. Theyve gone up price thanks to demand :(

One thing I have learn't, its worth trying a Seat dealership rather than TPS for prices now!

Peugeot 308
Thanks for the comments guys!

The HID's are miles better than the standard bulbs, shame these things didnt have Xenons tbh!

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
Whats the details on the car? Mileage etc what did you pay, im looking at these and have a similar budget but all seem to be well over 100k miles around my way

225 Cup & Williams
Cat back milltek, gt2871r turbo, 3" down pipe, forged rods, FMIC, 3" tip, WMI. As I shopped around, I did it for under £2k.

That's good going money wise. My mate has a 3" turbo back exhaust, Jabba sport induction kit, B5 intake pipe, FMIC and remap obviously & it's running 280 bhp.

Peugeot 308
Whats the details on the car? Mileage etc what did you pay, im looking at these and have a similar budget but all seem to be well over 100k miles around my way

This ones just reached 80k, cost me £3800 with a little haggling (splitter, rear tow eye cover...even knocked him down for the budget tyres fitted lol) Service history is not complete, but is reasonable. Its also had a cambelt and waterpump just over a year ago.

Peugeot 308
How do you find it, allways fancied one

I enjoy the car personally. Its not as chuckable as a Clio (as expected) but saying that, it can be thrown around more than I was expecting with plenty of grip in reserve.

As a daily, its fairly comfortable and reasonable on fuel. Overtaking is so easy when cruising in 6th... the joy of boost!

Funnily enough, there is quite some space inside the car, rear leg room is very impressive and boot could quite happily contain a family of immagrants without much fuss.

Downsides:

The dash and clock's are very 'VAG' and can be a little boring on the eyes. I shall be fitting an aftermarket stereo shortly, which should add a little colour.

Peugeot 308
So I've had the car for approx 3 weeks now and I'm still enjoying it lol.

I must stress, Seat/VW have an annoying habit for the fixings used on the likes of tow eye covers and fusebox covers etc... But hey ho.

Service parts

null_zpscea5e962.jpg

In the bag, was this...

null_zps5dc189d6.jpg

Fairly common for these pick up pipes to be partially blocked etc... So figured it would be a good shout to replace this.

So on Monday evening I popped the car over to Dan @ SJM as I know he's got a little love affection with these cars ;)

null_zps96e11474.jpg

Sump off, pick up pipe nice and accessible!

Dan getting handy with a heatshield that was on its last legs and rattling under full load.

null_zpsd6f1109f.jpg

Next up was another common little mod. Skoda Fabia rear wiper conversion that costs £17.

Makes the back end look so much fresher and actually works alot better than the standard setup.

null_zpscdb49daa.jpg

I didn't like the look of the 'LEON' badge, seemed a little tacky? So off that came.

null_zps03d88766.jpg

Off it came.

null_zps3dea4373.jpg

IMO much better. Note, the wiper picture above shows the de-badged look anyhow. I've uploaded them all to ****.

And finally for this month.

My Brembo's..much like many other Cupra R's, were looking tired...

null_zpse3b3c8d8.jpg

During (OTT newspaper layout)

null_zpsbb23fd21.jpg

£7 later and an hour and a half later...

null_zps37431201.jpg

There not perfect, but for a cheap tidy up... I'm happy enough!

Clio RS 172
Lovely cars, i test drove one when they 1st came out and loved it. Everything about it felt like being in a MK3 lowered golf, but faster!

well that was until the i managed to set off the engine management light and it lost power....oops! :eek:

Brookie.

ClioSport Club Member
Only just seen this mate as I've been on holiday. Looks lovely!

I'm still loving the Cooper S. It's costing me a fortune in fuel though as I can't stop driving the bloody thing!

ST1050, 320d
Get a cable tie on that rear exhaust hanger, looks like its a bit low (new rubber mounts don't seem to help). Looking good though, the first thing I did was get an OE armrest for mine, needs it badly!

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Daz what was the part number for the pick up and price mate? I need to do mine.

Oh and a word of advice. You may have seen the vag boys love to cut holes in the bottom of the air box called the wak mod or something. Apparently gives a proven 5bhp more. Dont do it. Made mine flat as a witches tit.

Peugeot 308
Get a cable tie on that rear exhaust hanger, looks like its a bit low (new rubber mounts don't seem to help). Looking good though, the first thing I did was get an OE armrest for mine, needs it badly!

Ahh I did think about a new mount, but a cable tie sounds like a better idea!

Peugeot 308
Daz what was the part number for the pick up and price mate? I need to do mine.

Oh and a word of advice. You may have seen the vag boys love to cut holes in the bottom of the air box called the wak mod or something. Apparently gives a proven 5bhp more. Dont do it. Made mine flat as a witches tit.

Tom,

Part number I have is 06A115251 RRP is £9.69 + Vat.

Regarding the Wak Mod, I've done it to this for a wee bit more noise until I get a Badger5 Kit on there. I did the same old my old TT aswell lol :clown:

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Tom,

Part number I have is 06A115251 RRP is £9.69 + Vat.

Regarding the Wak Mod, I've done it to this for a wee bit more noise until I get a Badger5 Kit on there. I did the same old my old TT aswell lol :clown:

Thanks mate.

Really? How many holes did you cut? I may not have done enough on mine. As I say it made it flat.

Im going to order a badget tip and stick with the standard airbox I think.

Peugeot 308
Thanks mate.

Really? How many holes did you cut? I may not have done enough on mine. As I say it made it flat.

Im going to order a badget tip and stick with the standard airbox I think.

This was my TT airbox, which I basically copied to do my Leon one.

1536005B-5DD3-4A0E-B01F-C00937A4F17B-252-000000FC4CC69591_zpsc52fa2fe.jpg

It makes a really nice noise tbh!

Regarding tips,

I like the idea of the billet adapter on the V2.2 and its proven to flow better than the all silicone piece.
... But I'm probably only going stage 1 with this car and I'm not sure if I want to spend so much on mods, so may just go with the V3 Induction kit with heat shield and be done with it.

172 cup
Great colour best in my apinion platinum grey my mate has 1 as well 290bhp great torque good engine the BAM . Do the wheels back to factory colour keep it suttle . Nice car i had the ibiza cupra R fairly rare with a good few mods running 240bhp 255ibs was a flyer

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
This was my TT airbox, which I basically copied to do my Leon one.

1536005B-5DD3-4A0E-B01F-C00937A4F17B-252-000000FC4CC69591_zpsc52fa2fe.jpg

Regarding tips,

I like the idea of the billet adapter on the V2.2, and its proven to flow better than the all silicone piece, but I'm probably only going stage 1 with this car and not sure if I want to spend so much on mods, so may just go V3 Induction with heat shield and be done with it.

Yeah that's got more holes than mine. I had a spare airbox so back to standard now. I might go to town on it and see if its any better. Thanks for the pic.

Yeah I read about the 2.2 but for the extra money its not worth it to me.

PH2 Flamer
I couldn't believe the size difference when I got mine from Bill

tezazuma.jpg

That with a jetex and heat shield really did make a difference.