ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My mates just found out his car is cat c

J

jonnytheboy

My mate was going to trade his BG182 '04' in this week until the dealer phoned him to say the deal was off as his car came back as a CAT C write off!!! Now he doesnt know what to do.

should he; Sell it private ( if so how much? )
Burn it

What would any of you's do????

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
My mate was going to trade his BG182 '04' in this week until the dealer phoned him to say the deal was off as his car came back as a CAT C write off!!! Now he doesnt know what to do.

should he; Sell it private ( if so how much? )
Burn it

What would any of you's do????

Sell it Private--bout 2.5-3k
He will get 0% cash payout on a claim IIRC- as the cars already had the value out on it-

S

Scott S

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Flamer & ER-6F
Could he not just keep it?

Also, has he checked himself. Dealer may have made a mistake, doubtful but you never know.

J

jonnytheboy

He bought it off one of his mates!! . . . . Trust no one! Its a shame really its a nice car, The garage offered him £3200 for it before they knew it was a cat c.

S4 Avant
Sell it Private--bout 2.5-3k
He will get 0% cash payout on a claim IIRC- as the cars already had the value out on it-

S

Sorry? Are you saying that if I crash my car, I won't get a pay out from my fully comprehensive insurance, because some other insurance company has already paid some bloke in Yorkshire for crashing my car before I owned it?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I know you don't, I meant you'd probably know what to look out for :)

Tbh mate, I don't!

I just assumed that if a car needs a vic check, surely the doovla would put it on the V5.

I hpi everything, from a £50 banger to a £10k Merc. Its foolish not to!

Chelsea tractor
Tbh mate, I don't!

I just assumed that if a car needs a vic check, surely the doovla would put it on the V5.

I hpi everything, from a £50 banger to a £10k Merc. Its foolish not to!
Fair do's, I know I would do that too if I did what you do!

Is it not worth the chap doing his own HPI check, just to confirm which category it is/was?

You do still get a payout. Maybe not as much as your car isn't worth as much, which I think is what Steve was trying to say.

J

jonnytheboy

Fair do's, I know I would do that too if I did what you do!

Is it not worth the chap doing his own HPI check, just to confirm which category it is/was?

He's going to do a proper HPI check 2moro. I've just done a online check and its come back as a punto again.:S

Mini Cooper S sport
Stolen plates?

Sounds a bit dodgy, and what kind of mate sells you a Cat C car without telling you?

BMW 330CI M SPORT
Cat C shows up on your V5/Logbook/Reg doc.

As some people have proven, Cat C a lot of the time means nothing, say your 172 is worth £2500 and you bump it into a wall and the damage it causes is an alloy, side wing and a bit of your bonnet, chances are with an approved repairer they would charge almost that to sort it and get the replacement bits - that would technically be a write off but the car once fitted with a new wheel, wing and resprayed bonnet would be as good as new...

If you are Fully Comp insured, you will be paid the value of the car, otherwise there would not be much point in having Fully Comp would there...

I work in Claims! ha

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
For the couple of questions around Value-

I was Quoted 50% book on Cat D & next to Zero % book on Cat C-

If your going to buy a salvage car check with your insurance company what the payout is-

Whatever the case its worth checking with your insurance company

S

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
Whoevers car this is Check the CAT C isnt applied to a plate that was on the car previous-

S

BMW 330CI M SPORT
He's going to do a proper HPI check 2moro. I've just done a online check and its come back as a punto again.:S

As a quick test, go on the DVLA website and selecting enquiry on the left side, that will give you some details, usually whether it needs a VIC, what make it is and when the tax is due.

Report back!

For the couple of questions around Value-

I was Quoted 50% book on Cat D & next to Zero % book on Cat C-

If your going to buy a salvage car check with your insurance company what the payout is-

Whatever the case its worth checking with your insurance company

S

That's quite scary really. A lot of people will be driving cars they have no idea are categorised and risk tiny payouts.