ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My mk2 mx5.

1.2 16v
Had put this on mx5Nutz, but I like this forum for advice and I know plenty of members on here have had 5s, and seeing as this forums more active I thought I'd put it on here too.

Picked this up a few weeks back for £800. Arches have some bodge in already but not too deep, going to have them sorted soon, planning on going wide arch.

So this is it from picking it up and at an mx5 northeast meet:

6edupupu.jpg

u4u2a2az.jpg

gebyjaza.jpg

Then today, cleaned it, debadged it and removed the front plinth, also tried to restore the headlights a bit:

Before:
yzebejub.jpg

After:
ugy5azu5.jpg

2eqyryqu.jpg

ja5uze8a.jpg

That's it for now, but have lots planned.

Obviously filling the holes from debadging, plenty of body work including a full shoot, new wheels, lower more new exhaust etc.

Will be taking pics of everything :)

Steve.

1.2 16v
Got a few new parts yesterday :)

New head unit, cusco strut brace, cobalt back box and a front plate bracket.

4u4y7eze.jpg

dagedyju.jpg

tuze9y5u.jpg

Clio 172
Is this going to be a "JDM 4life y0" style 5 with serious lows and sticker-tastic windows?

Clio 172 Exclusive
Nice, what engine size is it? best place for any MX5 stuff is AK automotive up your way. They run a turbo in the Northern Sports and Saloons.

1.2 16v
Nice, what engine size is it? best place for any MX5 stuff is AK automotive up your way. They run a turbo in the Northern Sports and Saloons.

1800. Aye I've been in a few times just to ask. Canny blokes and prices are pretty decent.

Listerine & Poledo
De-tango your lights dude.

Got a set of Early-Sport Wheels (16") sat about which need new owners (they also need 2 tyres and a refurb) if you dont go for some well mad JDM Mega-Yo Rotas /banded steelies.

Euan94

ClioSport Club Member
  Volvo C30
How much are vindis ducktails? I'll be interested to see what you do with this.

Listerine & Poledo
How much are vindis ducktails? I'll be interested to see what you do with this.

far, far FAR more than they're worth.

The OEM wings are cheaper and dont look anywhere near as try-hard

IMO, of course ;)

In other news, my Jass mount arrived today. Sik numberplate relocationizzle y0!

Euan94

ClioSport Club Member
  Volvo C30
Ahh good thing I bought a different wing then. Although I suspect you'll like the one I've bought even less haha

Listerine & Poledo
oh christ, what have you done!

(PM it)

I've been looking at all the Mazdaspeed kit, but after just dropping £700 on having the tin-worm taken out of the arches, I think they'll be on hold for a while.

Mk.2s dont need massive amounts of tupperware glued to them anyway, they're already superior. ;)

Clio 172
is that the same ducktail as this one...

DSC00082.jpg

I wanted that BBR Turbo above so bad when it came up for sale but it was sold before I could get the money together! I will keep an eye on this thread as i do love a good MX5 :)

1.2 16v
That one looks like mine ^

Vindi's are £100 delivered which isn't bad IMO. I like the size of it as I'm going for arch extensions and a GV lip possibly, so will all look well together.

Listerine & Poledo
oi!

nothing wrong with an offset plate, they're 9000% better than the fugly front plate plinths.

But OP does appear to have bought the wrong MX5, should have got a Mk.1 like all the other scene boyz <facepalm>true</facepalm>

Getting any sex toys for the interior? Maybe a hello kitty swinging from the rear tow hook? JDM sun-visors? tyres that are too small for the wheels? FFS

1.2 16v
Yeah I wouldn't rep a shoshinsha seeing as it's a thing for new drivers in japan.

Smaller wheel is pretty much all I'm doing to the interior for now. As for the others no.

I'm having serious thoughts about trading the clio in for an mx5 but I will end up spending too much on it, so it's on the back burner until I either get bored of the clio (unlikely) or can afford a second car.

Brilliant looking cars and loads of parts available for not a lot of money, it's a no brainer.

Clio 172
oi! nothing wrong with an offset plate, they're 9000% better than the fugly front plate plinths.

Vinyle FTW!

IMG_5785_zpsefafcfe6.jpg

thats the only photo I have at the moment of my old 5 and it's nose plate! Off centre makes it the car look unbalanced in my opinion, only ever liked it on the Alfa!! I like the JDM look on other peoples cars, but I would never do it to my own!

Jack

Listerine & Poledo
Thats a MK.2

Anything from '51 onwards gets really anal number plate laws. Such as no sticky plates. Not happy about it, but have to respect authoritah.

Hell, my square plate will be full size, not even a bike-size one. 100% legal

Euan94

ClioSport Club Member
  Volvo C30
I really dislike sticky plates.

Also aren't square plates only legal of imported cars and not uk ones?

Clio 172
Thats a MK.2

Anything from '51 onwards gets really anal number plate laws. Such as no sticky plates. Not happy about it, but have to respect authoritah.

Hell, my square plate will be full size, not even a bike-size one. 100% legal

I know its a MK2 but the only difference with the bumpers was the lower fog lights, the nose is identical! I thought you meant it wasn't possible because of the shape, Didn't know that about '51 onwards laws, thought it was the same laws for all plates apart from properly old ones who can still run the black and silver ones as well.

I loved the sticker plates personally. But then, im not and haven't been a huge JDM style fan, I loved the clean OEM+ style so ran my MX5 with very few alterations.

IMG_5729_zpsf4c957b3.jpg

Sorry to the OP for filling your thread with my old car photos! haha! If you manage to pull the full JDM wide arch, ducktail look off properly then it could be a seriously smart 5! :) I will watch with interest.

Jack

1.2 16v
ISorry to the OP for filling your thread with my old car photos! haha! If you manage to pull the full JDM wide arch, ducktail look off properly then it could be a seriously smart 5! :) I will watch with interest.

Jack

It's fine mate, clean 5! I'm not going mega wide arch, just small ones. Lots planned so hope I pull it off myself!

1.2 16v
Managed to get a few things done today.

Strut brace is on but forgot to take a picture.

Front plate bracket:

ja7u7e5e.jpg

Vindi ducktail:

zuse2ata.jpg

a2a2uheb.jpg

Exhaust shall go on next week as I didn't have time to mess around chopping off rotten bolts etc.