ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My Mk3 Extreme project :)

S7u

Clio mk3
Hi all, Stu here.

I've had my mk3 1.2 clio for about 2 years now and only recently started to give it some TLC and put my own stamp on it :D.
I began modding after coming across the site here and seeing what all different mods and upgrades people have done, and of course it got me started lol :p

So now ill post my progress so far with pictures along the way for you guys to tell me what you think and discuss any other mods or upgrades you would suggest. Thanks for taking a look and i hope you enjoy :approve:

Ok so this is how she looked when i got her.(not my actual car but exact same model etc)

So the first thing i did was give it some TLC on the inside by fitting a new stereo unit for ipod use.

I then went on to spraying the interior strips on the dashboard and the air vent surrounds.

Result,

Also added a sport sticker along the dashboard strip, just because i felt like it lol.

Another small mod i added was buying some cheap red trim to stick around my speakers to give something different to the inside.

I then took the plunge after a lot of asking around members on here and searching the web, i got it lowered 45mm on H&R springs to kickstart the exterior look of the car :) The pic is terrible, as it was the only one i took the day the springs were fitted :( But anyhow it closed the arch gap a lot but still needed more.

I then decided to colour code the side strips and spray the bullets silver myself after doing a somewhat ok job on the interior plastic i thought why not.

I was happy with the end result, the paint matched well and it got rid of that horrible plastic look! Also as you can see I added sport stickers to the bullets aswell to mix it up a bit and be different :p(not a great pic, sorry)

I then wanted to spray the exterior door handles silver, to break the black up. I had seen this on a few other models but mine came with just standard black/grey plastic look handles. After some tricky spraying and a lot of masking tape this was the finished result :)

So now, on to my most effective and most time consuming mod. I hated the mahonia wheels that came as standard with my model. I had wanted something different for a long time but i didnt want to spend 400 quid on a set of alloys just for looks purposes, because up till now my mods had mostly been cost effective. So i picked up a set of canasta alloys locally on gumtree for 100 quid (3without tyres), not sure if this was good or not but i was happy with the price as I planned to refurb them at some point before i got them fitted.

This was the pic i saw before i bought them(the most damaged wheel)

They sat for about a month in the shed as i waited for some time to get refurbishing them myself. I was unsure how this would pan out but i thought for 100 quid and about 60 quid in paint and other materials, i don't have much to lose compared to paying an alloy refurb shop to do it for me. After all, it was just for looks purposes.

So i went about refurbishing them, i spent about 2 weeks on and off sanding all the wheels down as best as possible. Firstly with an orbital sander, then through each grade of halfords wet and dry. I then filled each wheel where they had been curbed with a cheap filling compound from halfords(2 quid lol) this worked perfectly. I then sanded the filler down and the alloys where ready for painting.

Firstly i etch primed each alloy, because after a lot of research i figured this was the best primer for the base coat to cling to the alloy to prevent more work down the line when paint flakes off..

The next step was using grey primer on top of the etch primer giving a couple of good coats, wet sanding lightly between coats.

Then came the colour. I originally wanted black wheels but i changed my mind after having a long time to think about it while i prepped the wheels. I decided a dark/gun metal grey (anthracite) would look best. I had read a lot of colours like ford graphite and rover stone grey were best for this but every time i went to halfords both were sold out lol. So i took a risk and went for ford Polaris grey, which i am glad i did as the colour was better than i imagined.

Then finally came the lacquer which was pretty straight forward and luckily i was able to apply without any problems of running lacquer needing to be resanded etc...

I also did the centre caps the same colour and the diamonds black as i had some left from the interior.

They sat for about a week or more before i got new tyres and fitted them to the car.

So this is where she is at now :D

The wheels turned out better than i thought for someone who hadn't spray painted anything until a few months ago lol.

other small mods i have done without pictures atm:
LED cutosey light
LED Numberplate bulbs
Black/red seat covers cheap set
smaller arial

Future things in mind:
RS grille(ordered)
spacers
Whiter legal lights

Thats the lot, thanks for reading and im sorry if this was long and boring , hopefully some of you guys like what ive done. im happy with it and proud of the work ive done, and i enjoy driving the motor even more than before now :)

S7u

Clio mk3
Thanks guys, glad you like the wheels! Took me forever lol, any suggestions on future mods?

S7u

Clio mk3
Thanks a lot guys, glad you you like the wheels! Took me forever lol.
bennettxo I like what you've done mate looks really smart. Thanks for the comment.
Emblem Love those wheels mate, I was tied between black and dark grey, going by yours I would have been happy either way looks very nice and cheers for the post :)

any suggestions/comments are welcome!

Clio MK3- Chatterbox
No worries mate..

Its good to see more mk3's with the 1.2 getting modified.

If you read my thread, i did have some 17's but have now put the standard wheels back on. Looks soooooo much better.

Keep us updated.

Thanks Craig

Clio mk3
No worries mate..

If you read my thread, i did have some 17's but have now put the standard wheels back on. Looks soooooo much better.

Keep us updated.

Thanks Craig

Thinking about spraying my mk3 alloys black like you,much difference with the height when you lowered yours 30mm?
S7u cant wait to see more progress on your car!

S7u

Clio mk3
No worries mate..

Keep us updated.

Thanks Craig

Yeah mate I did see that, I almost put 17s on mine as well, was so close to picking up a set of megane Nervasports for real cheap locally :( then I just went for these when I missed out.

Any suggestions for front lights I'm looking to upgrade all the bulbs to whiter and brighter but unsure what to go for, and I wana keep it legal :p
bennettxo cheers mate, Good luck with the wheels I'll be keeping a look out on your thread for that, also for lowering I didn't think 30mm would be enough for mine so I went for 45 which looks good IMO. Although you both have the facelift and emblems drop looks perfect.

Last edited:
  Clio mk3
Yeah mate I did see that, I almost put 17s on mine as well, was so close to picking up a set of megane Nervasports for real cheap locally :( then I just went for these when I missed out.

Any suggestions for front lights I'm looking to upgrade all the bulbs to whiter and brighter but unsure what to go for, and I wana keep it legal :p
bennettxo cheers mate, Good luck with the wheels I'll be keeping a look out on your thread for that, also for lowering I didn't think 30mm would be enough for mine so I went for 45 which looks good IMO. Although you both have the facelift and emblems drop looks perfect.

I've got the Xenon bulbs which are really good and visibility is so much better! Also makes the car look a lot better. I paid like £8 for the whole set (main,dipped and sidelights) I can get the link if you want it. Can't wait to lower it,got to wait for warranty to run out

S7u

Clio mk3
I've got the Xenon bulbs which are really good and visibility is so much better! Also makes the car look a lot better. I paid like £8 for the whole set (main,dipped and sidelights) I can get the link if you want it. Can't wait to lower it,got to wait for warranty to run out

Sweet, are they blue at all? If you have the link id appreciate it mate. Thanks

S7u

Clio mk3
the bulbs look blue but when theyre turned on theyre more white/ice blue. I've never been stopped because of them.
heres the link: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Renault-5...odel:Clio|Plat_Gen:MK+III&hash=item4cfea9544d

not the same set a mine i bought the one with the wrong main beam. but the others worked fine. this is the right set.

Thanks mate. Will get these ordered:) much appreciated!
Ging2013 thanks mate :)

anyone think it's worth looking out for a set of 197 seats(not recaros)?

S7u

Clio mk3
You did a good job on the wheels! You need to finish them off with some tyre shine

Good call! Meant to do that last week but forgot!

Update: ordered xenons will get them fitted once they arrive an have some more pics up

Last edited:

S7u

Clio mk3
3A2t5MW.jpg

After about an hour of ripping my hands apart, I fitted xenons around. Pic only shows the sidelights as others came out fuzzy on iPhone.
Sorry if this pic is massive I uploaded via an app on the ipad.

Still need Rs grille which hasn't showed up yet :(

Clio mk3
Yeah definitely better! Just a bit of a hassle fitting :( but I wasn't prepared to start taking the bumper off lol

Luckily I have a friend with small hands haha! But I manages to do the one side that's not as tight to get your hands down,find it better driving in the dark with the lights now?

S7u

Clio mk3
Luckily I have a friend with small hands haha! But I manages to do the one side that's not as tight to get your hands down,find it better driving in the dark with the lights now?

Haha yeah one side is a real pain to get at. I dropped the metal clip down into the engine bay and luckily was able to see it and grab it with a claw tool. Big improvement at night yeah, have you done much else yourself lately?

Clio mk3
Nope only new interior light which is much better,car went it for repair due to notchy gear box bits gear box oil change soon sorted the problem out! Saving for coil overs and for my wheels to be refurbished the same colour as yours or black. What else are you doing to yours?

S7u

Clio mk3
Nope only new interior light which is much better,car went it for repair due to notchy gear box bits gear box oil change soon sorted the problem out! Saving for coil overs and for my wheels to be refurbished the same colour as yours or black. What else are you doing to yours?

Ah glad you got it sorted. Nice mate will see a huge difference when you get those both done, I was in two minds about the colour too but I think either will look sick. Not sure really, just waiting on Rs grille and spacers in the new year. After that I reckon the only thing I'll be after is the 197 seats but it will be difficult picking a set up over here :(

Clio mk3
Ah glad you got it sorted. Nice mate will see a huge difference when you get those both done, I was in two minds about the colour too but I think either will look sick. Not sure really, just waiting on Rs grille and spacers in the new year. After that I reckon the only thing I'll be after is the 197 seats but it will be difficult picking a set up over here :(

My step dads buying me a few bits for my car including spacers:D I was considering sport seats once I've got the coils and alloys sorted. Where you from mate?

S7u

Clio mk3
My step dads buying me a few bits for my car including spacers:D I was considering sport seats once I've got the coils and alloys sorted. Where you from mate?

Lucky lol, yeah they do look nice it's just finding them :( I'm in Northern Ireland mate, looked around and couldn't find any at all. If it's meant to be I'll get some :)

Clio mk3
Lucky lol, yeah they do look nice it's just finding them :( I'm in Northern Ireland mate, looked around and couldn't find any at all. If it's meant to be I'll get some :)

Stick a thread up on the wanted part of the forum,I'm sure someone will be willing to ship them to you for a additional price. Or someone near could be selling them:)

Mk3 1.4 clio
Nice mate how much did they cost you?? I want to fit them on my car aswell, Are they difficult to fit??

S7u

Clio mk3
Nice mate how much did they cost you?? I want to fit them on my car aswell, Are they difficult to fit??

Full kit cost me 14 quid mate I can send you the link if you want? Difficult enough to fit, a lot of people say to remove the bumper but it seemed a lot of hassle just to change a few bulbs.

Mk3 1.4 clio
Full kit cost me 14 quid mate I can send you the link if you want? Difficult enough to fit, a lot of people say to remove the bumper but it seemed a lot of hassle just to change a few bulbs.
Oh yeah cool cheers lads.I've never really looked into them tbh. I thought they were expensive,if you could post a link it would be great Gunna pick a set up.

Black mk3 clio
Looking good so far! When you changed the bulbs, what do you do to remove them, I have small enough hands to do it but because I can't see into where the bulb is I can only do it by feel, I can feel the metal bracket but what do you do with that and how do you remove the bulb? silly sounding question but i'm pretty much a novice when it comes to cars.

S7u

Clio mk3
Looking good so far! When you changed the bulbs, what do you do to remove them, I have small enough hands to do it but because I can't see into where the bulb is I can only do it by feel, I can feel the metal bracket but what do you do with that and how do you remove the bulb? silly sounding question but i'm pretty much a novice when it comes to cars.

Hi there! Thanks for the comment, I'll talk you through it. Basically the metal bracket is holding the bulb in place. You should remove the rubber cap which is covering the wiring. Next remove the black connector block(it has the wires coming from it) a slight pull and it should come out. Then you can unclip the metal clip carefully making sure not to drop it, then the bulb should easily pull outwards. What I would suggest is you take a picture with a flash phone to get an idea of what your looking for before you disconnect anything, that way you can also see how the replacement bulb should look when it's refitted. I would suggest using a torch too, goodluck mate.