ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My mk4 Golf Progress.

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
How do, I know it's not a Clio but thought I'd whack pics and plans up anyway, just to get other people's opinions.

Bought for £2300 back in August 2010 with 12 Months MOT and couple months Tax, was completely standard with a tow bar :dead:

-6 Speed PD115 Engine
-Full Years MOT
-2 Owners
-144K Motorway Miles
-Cruise Control
-Climate Control
-Heated Sports Seats
-Arm Rest (ftw)
-Full Service History
-The boring stuff - ABS, TC, Full Electrics, Trip Computer etc etc etc.

Wasn't standard for too long, spent a fair amount on it and had a few issues with it being low, but I got around them ok. Dont really have any standard pics.

Spec;

-JOM Coilovers
-Rear adjusters out
-ARB Removed
-15mm Engine Spacers
-6K HIDs
-Debadged
-Stubby Aerial
-De Wiper
-Tow Bar Removed
-Kenwood DNX-5220BT Double Din Player
-18" BBS CH Style Alloys+Tyres
-2 x 20mm Hubcentric Wheel Spacers
-Straight Through Screamer Pipe

Plans;

IF I do keep the car for next year then I'm hoping to do the following:

-4 New Tyres for the X5 wheels
-Buy adaptors for the X5 wheels
-Fit the X5 wheels
-US Spec Front Bumper
-V6 Rear valance
-Smooth Roof
- Two 10/12" Subs and an Amp
-Uprated Speakers
-Full Miltek De-Cat exhaust
-Green Cotton Panel Filter
-Remap
-Camber
-Go Lower
-Chassis Notch

Need a chassis notch asap as the driveshaft is currently rubbing on the chassis when going over bumps in the road.

Anyway some pics of my first detail (didnt have time to do arches as it was getting dark)
69786_478574497117_639222117_5693827_4177386_n.jpg

35596_478575147117_639222117_5693848_5242083_n.jpg

63207_478575542117_639222117_5693860_7390711_n.jpg

148199_478576162117_639222117_5693870_5668964_n.jpg

33749_455021152117_639222117_5353335_5011352_n.jpg

66692_455021077117_639222117_5353329_4573190_n.jpg
(dirty i know)

Got some new wheels, £100 for all 4

DSCF0569.jpg

19" BMW E53 X5 Sport wheels.

Should be the only Golf in the country with them so that's good, as I dont really like my current wheels as they are very common. And the wrong sized tyres are on the current wheels meaning I cant take more than 1 passenger without the arches going on fire again which is annoying.

Would love to put it on air but cant afford it at the moment, especially not with all my plans for it too.

Have a few more pics but that will do for now.

Comments welcome.

Thanks

Bluebeard

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Theres a black 5 door with those X5 rims on round here. Looks bloody epic.

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
Don't he?

Not been on mkivs since I got banned LOL.

I dont think so, it wont look as good as his but i quite like how they look, plus i dont really like the normal trend.

Thanks for the comments guys.

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
Theres a black 5 door with those X5 rims on round here. Looks bloody epic.

Really? Not sure if I have seen that one before.

Little bit of poke here;

IMG_0028.jpg

The X5's are a lot wider than my current wheels so should sit a lot wider than that.

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
Not yet Ive been getting quotes, so far £250 and £300 but I might get them custom made.

E36 Coupe & Mk4 Golf
Looks good, i just bought one kind of regretting not getting a diesel one now.

phz 1 172
looks cool mate ive had 3 mk4 golfs v6 4moton ,180bhp anny and a import abt racing 220bhp fully abt kitted in silver one of only 3 factory supplyed in the uk

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
Thanks guys, the Diesel version is very good tbh, remap and breathing mods take the Torque to over 300 lb/ft which isn't too bad. Plus I can get 65+mpg on long runs.

I'll probably need the remap with 19" wheels lol.

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
Around £80 a month, as I have mum on it too. On my previous car (Saxo VTR) I was paying silly amounts per month. This is a higher insurance group car but a LOT cheaper to insure, im 20 btw.

Thats £80 with ME as a named driver btw, not mum.

CBR1K, F21 125D
If you get a chassis notch you might want some engine spacers too, 15mm iirc.

Not sure what clearance you get on a diseasel.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
X5 wheels are the new Turini's. So many cars will be rockin' them next year.

Not saying they're s**t, because they look sweeeeet. Yours kinda sits like mine with those BBS on though, although your wheels are better:eek:

BIFCAIDS

ClioSport Club Member
  340i M-Sport & 182
4x4 wheels are the next big thing, should look pretty sweet on the x5 wheels last PVW I bought had a show report from America with a lads mk4 on them looked sweet.

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
Thanks guys.

Already have a set of engine spacers in (15mm) but I should have gone for the 25mm as the cats eyes and the grit on the roads smashed the sump guard lol Sump itself it ok though.

Yeah will deffo need a notch soon,
163121_489424892117_639222117_5864016_3658839_n.jpg

That has happened with only me in the car, so I cant imagine how bad it would be if I could take a full car, plus i still have a bit more to go down on the front coils.

Will be selling the reps once I have the X5s on, i do like them but way too common for my liking.

Next couple of weeks should see a service, oil change, Green Cotton air filter and an EGR valve clean up.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Looks smart mate. A remap will only bring you 250 ft lbs tops on a 115 though.

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
Thanks!

Hmm not so sure, think mine is around 220lb/ft standard, or around that figure anyway, on uk-mkivs.net a lot of people are around or over 300lb/ft on the PD115s.

An aggressive map with a decent panel filter should see closer to 300lb/ft(bare in mind im already running a de cat), 3 people I know of that have similar mods, one is 292lb/ft and the other 2 are above 305lb/ft and 310lb/ft so I guess it's what map you go for, although I dont want really want to opt for a uprated clutch as they are very pricey, so probably wont be getting an aggressive map.

The engine itself is in very good condition, regularly serviced with only 2 previous owners, so it should benefit a good bit from a map.

Then again I'm not to bothered about chasing figures or anything lol but with 19" wheels on I think I need all the pull I can get lol

Will look nice with the x5's on. If you're thinking about custom adapters this is the email address for the guy that made mine. gar.thoms@hotmail.co.uk He was recommended to me by somebody on the wheelwhores forum.

(The Thicker ones in the pic.)

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
Thanks!

Apparently you cant get these certain adaptors any smaller than 16mm, so il either get 16mm for the front and 20/25mm for the rear, pending how much arch clearance I have.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
That has happened with only me in the car, so I cant imagine how bad it would be if I could take a full car, plus i still have a bit more to go down on the front coils.

LOL, are you trying to show that little scuff on the D/S? Trust me... It gets worse! I need a notch.

5195499666_45b072a7c2.jpg

You can see the main rust ring there, also there was one from the ARB but I covered it in grease to seal it a bit. I'd recommend getting engine raisers after you notch it as well, they aren't that expensive a guy does them on ED38

5186372263_cf90dcf89f_z.jpg

£65 posted IIRC. TomSX has a set.

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
You can see the main rust ring there, also there was one from the ARB but I covered it in grease to seal it a bit. I'd recommend getting engine raisers after you notch it as well, they aren't that expensive a guy does them on ED38

£65 posted IIRC. TomSX has a set.

I know I'm aware of them ;)

Spec;

-JOM Coilovers
-Rear adjusters out
-ARB Removed
-15mm Engine Spacers
-6K HIDs
-Debadged
-Stubby Aerial
-De Wiper
-Tow Bar Removed
-Kenwood DNX-5220BT Double Din Player
-18" BBS CH Style Alloys+Tyres
-2 x 20mm Hubcentric Wheel Spacers
-Straight Through Screamer Pipe

Thanks guys.

Already have a set of engine spacers in (15mm) but I should have gone for the 25mm as the cats eyes and the grit on the roads smashed the sump guard lol Sump itself it ok though.

I think it's pretty bad enough for only me driving it! lol No passengers.

Last time I was stupid enough to take 2 passengers my arches literally caught fire.

75720_466938572117_639222117_5523897_1133293_n.jpg

Surely you aren't still running an ARB? Mines been out for quite some time now lol

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Yeah it's from when I did have an ARB for the first couple of weeks.

FLOL!!! That's quality.

Mini Cooper S
That blue golf lives near my office. Looks so good and he's had quite a few sets of wheels on it.

Lol at the arch fires! Moar negative camber for a quick fix ;)

Completely clueless about the engine raisers? What are they actually for? Lifting the engine up and getting a bit more sump clearance from the floor? I've seen people mention them, but haven't been too sure why they're needed.

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
Yeah will go into the camber stage later this year, maybe 2 or 3 degrees, just the wrong sized tyres on my current wheels atm.

Yep they just raise the engine for more clearance, they go between the mount and the frame.

Not 100% sure if this car will be staying with me in the next few weeks or not, as it may be going for another mk4 Golf!

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks!

Hmm not so sure, think mine is around 220lb/ft standard, or around that figure anyway, on uk-mkivs.net a lot of people are around or over 300lb/ft on the PD115s.

An aggressive map with a decent panel filter should see closer to 300lb/ft(bare in mind im already running a de cat), 3 people I know of that have similar mods, one is 292lb/ft and the other 2 are above 305lb/ft and 310lb/ft so I guess it's what map you go for, although I dont want really want to opt for a uprated clutch as they are very pricey, so probably wont be getting an aggressive map.

The engine itself is in very good condition, regularly serviced with only 2 previous owners, so it should benefit a good bit from a map.

Then again I'm not to bothered about chasing figures or anything lol but with 19" wheels on I think I need all the pull I can get lol

Haha fair dos mate but some of the 150s struggles to see 300.

You need some 215/40's on there too I'd say.

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
Yeah I can get away with 215 35 as they are only 8J.

But all going to plan I may not have the car for too much longer, and even if I do keep it the X5s will be on! Cant wait!

Also ideally would like the rear to go lower, adjusters are already out and its still not as low as I want :(

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
I was thinking of that, but if its took this long to get all clogged up (almost 150,000 miles) is it really worth blanking it? I seriously doubt I will have it for another 30,000 miles never mind over 100,000 lol

Don't want to go to deep into performance, after all it's a derv! lol

Would of loved a 150 but insurance wouldnt quote me and there's the cam timing issues with the 150 engine!

I was thinking of that, but if its took this long to get all clogged up (almost 150,000 miles) is it really worth blanking it? I seriously doubt I will have it for another 30,000 miles never mind over 100,000 lol

Don't want to go to deep into performance, after all it's a derv! lol

Would of loved a 150 but insurance wouldnt quote me and there's the cam timing issues with the 150 engine!

It's more about the airflow, as for blanking it you could stick a 150 egr on if you want.

DSC01130.jpg